• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

has anyone prepared notes 4 english? (1 Viewer)

hsc100

HSC
Hey, i just wanted to know exactly how do you people study for english like what sort of notes would u write out for the examination such as comprehensions etc?Also, has anyone prepared notes for english and how would u write them out to sudy from? sorry im very confused
thanx

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Hey, i just wanted to know exactly how do you people study for english like what sort of notes would u write out for the examination such as comprehensions etc?Also, has anyone prepared notes for english and how would u write them out to sudy from? sorry im very confused
thanx
I'd write down key quotes and ideas in point form.
That's all I do.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
For texts, I do these things,
-identify ideas and put them as subheadings
-then list major techniques used by the author/playwright/whatever and explain what effect it produces
-support with quotes from the text
-plus dont forget to do whatever the module tells you to do (e.g. compare with your other text if you're doing module a, link with belonging if you're doing AoS, incorporate critical readings if you're doing module b...)
-and dont forget to do lots of practice essays and get them marked by your teacher :)

You can't really write study notes for the creative writing part, the best thing you can do is just write heaps of practice creative writings and get your teacher to mark them

And for the comprehension part, just memorise techniques, and try to incorporate them in questions, practice questions are also useful if you get your hands on some that relate to belonging

iNerd

Banned
HSC
not really.
just jot some ideas for stories
and quotes

oly1991

HSC
english is probably the subject that i study least for...although i should probably change that because english is one of the hardest subjects to cram.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I made my creative story and have polished it.

I've made some notes using online resources on the texts that i should but haven't been bothered to read.

I've typed out general layouts (main points + quotes for each paragraph) for my essays.

I should be doing practise essays but i can't bring myself to do them =="

swathard

HSC
For texts, I do these things,
-identify ideas and put them as subheadings
-then list major techniques used by the author/playwright/whatever and explain what effect it produces
-support with quotes from the text
-plus dont forget to do whatever the module tells you to do (e.g. compare with your other text if you're doing module a, link with belonging if you're doing AoS, incorporate critical readings if you're doing module b...)
-and dont forget to do lots of practice essays and get them marked by your teacher :)

You can't really write study notes for the creative writing part, the best thing you can do is just write heaps of practice creative writings and get your teacher to mark them

And for the comprehension part, just memorise techniques, and try to incorporate them in questions, practice questions are also useful if you get your hands on some that relate to belonging
that is like a really good form of revision/study (writing practice essays). it is just a real shame that teachers at MY school (mind you I go to a fully selective school) have this lame policy that they aren't allowed to mark any practice work you do unless it has been specifically assigned by them.
TOTAL STUPIDITY, if you ask me.
what do you guys think? anyone else here in the same boat with their english teachers? i was doing extension 1 english, but I dropped (and that was a major reason for doing so..)

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
it is just a real shame that teachers at MY school (mind you I go to a fully selective school) have this lame policy that they aren't allowed to mark any practice work you do unless it has been specifically assigned by them.
fail lol

swathard

HSC
I totally agree with you! We had a creative writing assessment towards the end of last term, and people in my year were complaining. They wanted to submit practice creatives (and so did I) to get some feedback. But NOOOOO. They made up some rubbish about it being against school policy! HORRIBLE.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you want to make notes: Quotes and Themes.

That's about all you'll need

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
I totally agree with you! We had a creative writing assessment towards the end of last term, and people in my year were complaining. They wanted to submit practice creatives (and so did I) to get some feedback. But NOOOOO. They made up some rubbish about it being against school policy! HORRIBLE.
Why was this policy introduced? I've never heard of anything like that before.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
that is like a really good form of revision/study (writing practice essays). it is just a real shame that teachers at MY school (mind you I go to a fully selective school) have this lame policy that they aren't allowed to mark any practice work you do unless it has been specifically assigned by them.
what do you guys think? anyone else here in the same boat with their english teachers? i was doing extension 1 english, but I dropped (and that was a major reason for doing so..)
what about how we don't actually get given marks for any english things, just rankings, and we don't get personal feedback, or anything written on our writing, we just get a positives/negatives for the grade as a whole. that's shit.

swathard

HSC
what about how we don't actually get given marks for any english things, just rankings, and we don't get personal feedback, or anything written on our writing, we just get a positives/negatives for the grade as a whole. that's shit.
i agree with that also. most of the time feedback that is given for the grade as a whole won't even apply to me, so then I sit there wondering where I lost marks (since there's no personal feedback.)

swathard

HSC
Why was this policy introduced? I've never heard of anything like that before.
to be honest, I have NO idea why this policy was introduced. in my opinion, I think that it's because the teachers are lazy perhaps? when we questioned my teacher about it, they turned around and said, "just get your tutors to look at it."

what about people who don't have tutors! (like me) how are we ever supposed to improve if we d ont have the support of our OWN TEACHERS!

sighs.. i didnt think it was a normal policy. it's probably just some silly policy implemented at my school.

studymyassoff

HSC
thanx
Well, excellent English skills (e.g comprehension, essay writing, creative writing) are not something you can develop overnight. However HSC is a bit different, when you enter the examination room, the questions are always based upon the topic you have studied (well you choose the question that is based on your topic), the questions they ask you are often very similar and something that you might easily expect.
So you'd always have something prepared.

for Creative writing (which is based upon belonging), you simply need to write a perfect piece of creative, memorize it and manipulate your creative to suit the question (which is very easy)

for Comprehension, know your techniques well, and work out how each unseen texts are related to belonging.

for your aos belonging essay/speech/etc (part 3 of the first english paper) simply practice writing essays based upon belonging, sometimes memorising a perfect essay and changing bits of it to suit the question will get you full marks.

with the HSC, you really dont have to be the perfect English student, you need to know how to study for "HSC" english, which is really, so damn easy.

if you want to know more on how to study for english, contact me
haha im offering 1on1 english tutoring.
i also have plenty of perfect essays and notes on the new English syllabus 2009-2012

studymyassoff

HSC

what? are you serious ?
teachers aren't allowed to mark any practice work?
that is ridiculous, maybe not such a bad thing for tutors then....
lol

what school do you go to?

lberg102

HSC
that sucks! we can hand in practice writing whenever we want and get feedback! weird policies ur schools have ..

Menisha

HSC
that sucks! we can hand in practice writing whenever we want and get feedback! weird policies ur schools have ..
yeah agreed! we can do that too, our teachers actually encourage us to do this? so we can expand on our main ideas and they can give us personal feddback. i cant believe that is actually a policy in some schools, how ludicrous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)