Has anyone started their prelims yet? (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Sounds pretty similar to my english class, we literally have 7 people in the class (all girls :) ) and everyone is good at it! It's nice. Same thing as my biology class, 7 or 8 people will be continuing it into year 12 (all girls, yet again) all of which are quite good at it.
Kinda jealous of a small english cohort/class (adv is mandatory for everyone in my school); I had a small bio class of around 8 or 9, but it's gonna be merging in Year 12 with other classes because quite a few are dropping and my teacher is going on holiday :(

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Kinda jealous of a small english cohort/class (adv is mandatory for everyone in my school); I had a small bio class of around 8 or 9, but it's gonna be merging in Year 12 with other classes because quite a few are dropping and my teacher is going on holiday :(
english advanced is mandatory??!?!?!? wow. My year group has 1 tiny english advanced class, 1 tiny standard class, and 2 large studies classes (lol). The benefit of doing academic subjects at my school is that we typically have tinyyyy classes, and all the teachers are actually really great and very dedicated towards helping us achieve.

fx82au

HSC
Sounds pretty similar to my english class, we literally have 7 people in the class (all girls :) ) and everyone is good at it! It's nice. Same thing as my biology class, 7 or 8 people will be continuing it into year 12 (all girls, yet again) all of which are quite good at it.
One of the reasons I enjoy english is due to the fact that everyone has a collective enjoyment towards English. Countless fruitful conversations and arguments arise every period.

All my classes are like that. I have <9 for every class, and as soon as year 12 starts ill probably have 5 people in each class. My chem class will probably be only 2-3 kids, and my math adv class (which i wont attend) will probably have 4 people due to the fact that half the class failed the yearlies

fx82au

HSC
english advanced is mandatory??!?!?!? wow. My year group has 1 tiny english advanced class, 1 tiny standard class, and 2 large studies classes (lol). The benefit of doing academic subjects at my school is that we typically have tinyyyy classes, and all the teachers are actually really great and very dedicated towards helping us achieve.
My school has a very large English faculty with like 15+ teachers, despite it being a very small school (<300). Its great. You are really able to connect with your teacher, and form a relationship with is very beneficial. In another thread on here I was talking about how my english teacher understands that I have an interest in english adv, and thus is really pushing me, and buying me resources (from her own money), to help me improve.

The ratio of english teachers to english students really helps, as it kinda feels like the teacher is tutoring you 1-1

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
yea, standard doesn't exist for either maths or rn in my school (i think we have around 8 eng classes)??, and for maths out of our entire cohort 2 or 3 don't do maths at all, ~20 do advanced maths only, and everyone else does extension

One of the reasons I enjoy english is due to the fact that everyone has a collective enjoyment towards English. Countless fruitful conversations and arguments arise every period.
i wish my cohort was like that, a lot of them loathe the subject (fair tbh) :( i'm glad i have a great teacher though, and i love to read and write in my spare time which has helped me in english a lot (fav subject)

carrotsss

HSC
honestly same. In year 10 I would come first with minimal study, and like 3 days before an exam I would quickly read over the textbook, and try to cram as much as possible. I have so much more competition rn, and its a very good wakeup call. In my english adv class im legit competing with the whole class, as everyone in the class are good at the subject.

I guess im gonna have to really no-life year 12 -_-
I’m so glad year 11 doesn’t count, I would be so screwed if some of my term 2 assessments counted 😬. It’s great that we get this opportunity to figure this stuff out, I can’t imagine if we got thrown into the deep end and everything counted in year 11 from the start
Yeah, my English class is packed and there’s 2 other classes because the English department pressured a bunch of kids into doing advanced. It’s pretty annoying, there’s a few girls who feel the need to ask the teacher non-stop largely useless questions and my teacher rambles a LOT, I always end up getting bored and talking to my friends :(
All my classes are like that. I have <9 for every class, and as soon as year 12 starts ill probably have 5 people in each class. My chem class will probably be only 2-3 kids, and my math adv class (which i wont attend) will probably have 4 people due to the fact that half the class failed the yearlies
Wow that sounds so nice, pretty much all of my classes except for maths ext (has 12, will be 4 next year 🥴) have like ~20 people. My cohort is pretty big, we used to have 200 people although a fair few dropped our. Generally I still get enough attention from the teachers though, I find that even in larger classes teachers are more than willing to help out students who want help!

carrotsss

HSC
yea, standard doesn't exist for either maths or rn in my school (i think we have around 8 eng classes)??, and for maths out of our entire cohort 2 or 3 don't do maths at all, ~20 do advanced maths only, and everyone else does extension
Wow, how well ranked is your school?!

fx82au

HSC
love to read and write in my spare time
I really need to start writing more often outside of class, I usually only write essays for eng when I have an assignment coming up - anf my teacher knows this. She is really pushing me to do my best, and its one of the reasons that my english class is my favorite.

teachers are more than willing to help out students who want help!
This is so true. If you show an interest in the subject and ask for help, teachers will go above and beyond in helping you!

dsakvyilsa

HSC
My school has a very large English faculty with like 15+ teachers, despite it being a very small school (<300). Its great. You are really able to connect with your teacher, and form a relationship with is very beneficial. In another thread on here I was talking about how my english teacher understands that I have an interest in english adv, and thus is really pushing me, and buying me resources (from her own money), to help me improve.

The ratio of english teachers to english students really helps, as it kinda feels like the teacher is tutoring you 1-1
my english teacher is amazing!!! we don't have quite so many though haha (15+ english teachers sounds crazy!!!).

carrotsss

HSC
Ngl feeling kinda left out for not liking English, I enjoy it for brief moments every now and then but I kinda lost my passion for English a few years ago and it hasn’t recovered since :(

dsakvyilsa

HSC

i wish my cohort was like that, a lot of them loathe the subject (fair tbh) :( i'm glad i have a great teacher though, and i love to read and write in my spare time which has helped me in english a lot (fav subject)
That is so crazy, how many students are actually in your year group? I'm guessing your school must be pretty highly ranked......

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Ngl feeling kinda left out for not liking English, I enjoy it for brief moments every now and then but I kinda lost my passion for English a few years ago and it hasn’t recovered since :(
Oh I don't love it either, I'm just pretty good at writing essays and such. I like my class and teacher a lot though.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I really need to start writing more often outside of class, I usually only write essays for eng when I have an assignment coming up - anf my teacher knows this. She is really pushing me to do my best, and its one of the reasons that my english class is my favorite.
it is genuinely so fun to write whatever the hell you want outside of class - both essays but also just fun stories and poetry (i love creative writing to death), i 'steal' stuff from my own original work from the past and use it for schoolwork too occasionally.

That is so crazy, how many students are actually in your year group? I'm guessing your school must be pretty highly ranked......
Wow, how well ranked is your school?!
a little over 200 kids in my cohort in total, top 10 ranked (it's not smth to be super super proud of though, esp when it was the people in front of you who set that rank, not you/your cohort)

carrotsss

HSC
a little over 200 kids in my cohort in total, top 10 ranked (it's not smth to be super super proud of though, esp when it was the people in front of you who set that rank, not you/your cohort)
It’s still pretty impressive to make it into a school like that though!

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I’ve always been good with creative writing (I still brag about my ICAS high distinction hehe), but essay writing and textual analysis has just never been my thing. I wouldn’t call myself terrible, but what I will say is that I ranked below average out of the advanced students for my last assessment before prelims 😔
textual analysis can be crazy -- honestly the only way that can remedy this is basically practice essays and (imo) doing your own research outside of school on your texts. essays are even worse, especially under time constraints

fx82au

HSC
Ngl feeling kinda left out for not liking English
I dint like english very much either, I just find joy in waffling my way through a paragraph. Just being able to write crap that in reality doesnt make much sense, but from an english pov its pure Shakespearean, makes me feel so happy inside

15+ english teachers sounds crazy!!!
yeah my school has a large refugee background, and lots of people that immigrated from other countries. We really need as many english teachers as possible, cause my schools english ranks are dirt low

carrotsss

HSC
textual analysis can be crazy -- honestly the only way that can remedy this is basically practice essays and (imo) doing your own research outside of school on your texts. essays are even worse, especially under time constraints
Yeah I really need to start doing more practice essays but I just find it so hard to find the motivation, I just end up sitting around staring at my laptop half the time even when I do start. I plan on submitting more practice essays in year 12, but it’s kinda easier said than done. :(

I’m not too bad with timed conditions though, for some reason being in the exam hall magically improves my writing ability haha, I’m pretty sure I write better essays in exams than in assignments
I dint like english very much either, I just find joy in waffling my way through a paragraph. Just being able to write crap that in reality doesnt make much sense, but from an english pov its pure Shakespearean, makes me feel so happy inside
It did feel pretty good when I completely made up a random analysis and my teacher was like “wow this is such an impressive intriguing perspective” 😂

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)