Have you read your texts for english? (1 Viewer)

Have you read your texts for english?

• Total voters

delian

HSC
N/A
English is super important. Don't make the mistake of putting it aside just because you don't like it, because it may prevent you from obtaining the atar / getting into the course you want. Saying that you 'don't have time' for a subject is really just an excuse sometimes.
+1

I struggled with English, but ultimately it was worth it as without a decent English mark my ATAR would've been significantly lower.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I know :(

You're absolutely correct. To compensate for not reading it, I read a lot of other material.
Probably isn't the same, as you can't form your own ideas from it. I'm a module behind in almost all my subjects, so that's what I mean by don't have time.

I like bladerunner.
haha. well then get to it. :p

SanjoyM

HSC
WDF.................................
Just so I'm familiar with the text incase they pose questions which refer to specific chapters or elements :)
+ I have a listening/viewing task in approx 3 weeks, so I practice analysing and writing a response in 10 minutes:)

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Yes, it is possible to pass english with out reading/watching the texts. (Fig. 1; me)

Pass though. You're not going to do brilliantly. (Fig. 2; me)

You're not going to get a great mark by not reading the texts. If you read enough other material to feel confident, IMHO it would've been easier to just read the book. I get Frankenstein might not be everyones favourite cup of tea, but at least read some of it. BR/Frankenstein is a popular unit, so lots of people do it, and it will be obvious to differentiate between those who did and those who didn't read the book. It's not that bad of a book. It definitely does get better as the book goes on.

Especially when the HSC writers decide to be an ass and ask questions that you would only be able to answer had you read the text (paper 2 module B fuck you)

TLDR
english counts, no matter what and reading the books/texts will help

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What's your definition of pass though? In my opinion it's alot easier to do well in HSC than it is in Uni or post grad so you may as well try.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I liked Frankenstein and BR. Found them quite interesting.
Didn't read them 4 times though lol...

Either way in my experience you can get quite good marks without reading the texts i believe. If you have a solid base of quotes (and techniques), ideas, values and context statements why not? (You'll also need a good/relatively detailed summary of the plot)

Not that i condone it or anything.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
What's your definition of pass though? In my opinion it's alot easier to do well in HSC than it is in Uni or post grad so you may as well try.
Well, I ended up with a HSC mark of like 75 or something I think.
Like I said, I passed, but it definitely didn't do much for my ATAR. My point was that you could get by without reading, but yeah, you might as well just read the text as it can not do anything but help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)