Havent done 4 unit and am really struggling with math1131 (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
We havent even learned anything and Im already finding the subject difficult....

I didnt do 4 unit and the lecturer was rushing complex numbers and I didnt get anything he said... gawd im panicking.

Is there an easier math than math1131 ==;;

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Then no. Sure, there is an easier math course, although at some point you will need to MATH1131 (and doing the easier one would extend your degree by either 6 months or a year).

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
They give your course notes in a book right? Read that.

jamesfirst

HSC
ye... i bought the course notes today... i should study hard..

TheStallion

HSC
If you're struggling already with the first lecture of content I would be seriously looking at whether you should even be in engineering, it gets a lot harder. Having said that, some lecturers are definitely shit. Read the course notes at home for the lecture, and try understand it there. If you still can't understand it while putting in the effort at home, then you've got to look at your abilities for eng.

By all means put in a shitload of effort and try learn it though, best of luck.

If you had to you could do fundamentals maths, then MATH1131 in S2 and MATH1231 in summer, so that the course isn't extended at all. Not recommended unless you have serious issues with MATH1131 though, fundamentals is a joke.

HSC
N/A
We havent even learned anything and Im already finding the subject difficult....

I didnt do 4 unit and the lecturer was rushing complex numbers and I didnt get anything he said... gawd im panicking.

Is there an easier math than math1131 ==;;
Don't panic just because you find the lectures confusing. After the lecture, read through the yellow notes (I assume they are still yellow!), and have a go at the first few problems. If you can do most of the [R] problems you'll be fine.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
There is the student support scheme which can help you with questions.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Past fail rate for this course is 21%...so approximately 1 in 5 people will fail.

It's better than the course I had to do in my first year, quantitative method A, which is an equivalent math course with fail rate of 30% (1 in 3 fails).

Last edited:
HSC
ermm

idk about you, but uhh basic operations with complex numbers isn't tragic

+ you have the course notes to look at at a pace better suited to your learning ability

muzeikchun852

HSC
some of my friends did 4U and they are still struggling with math1131/1141 so you are not alone.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
they don't rush through complex numbers, I remember they spent three weeks on it and the rest of the sem is just matrices

Pyrobooby

HSC
I've enrolled into MATH1131 just yesterday, did I miss out much (to those who've had 2 lectures)? Also, did the professor state the necessity of the textbook?
I did 4U last year so judging from the above, if it's just complex numbers then I'm guessing I'll be fine.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I've enrolled into MATH1131 just yesterday, did I miss out much (to those who've had 2 lectures)? Also, did the professor state the necessity of the textbook?
I did 4U last year so judging from the above, if it's just complex numbers then I'm guessing I'll be fine.
No, they said they're not essential.

Pyrobooby

HSC
I see, so I'm guessing I'll be fine with just the course notes that are sold in the bookshop?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You'll be more than fine. Do the tutorial questions and you're pretty much set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)