• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HAY GUYS! The Unions are sick of small crowds (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Still campaigning, I see.

For what it's worth, does anyone happen to know how this differs to what is/was the regular funding programme for clubs and socities at UNSW? As they say, this is being drawn from the existing funding pool, so for all that we know this may well be just a more public form of a typical 'let us reward the successful clubs' funding scheme.
If by successful one means pro-USU

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The unions will claim the government is ignoring students etc etc... they want to make this into a students vs government issue when the truth is it's a UNION LEADERSHIP vs government issue.

Generator

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
If by successful one means pro-USU
Not quite. I was assuming that a scheme that rewards those clubs on the grounds of events/successful events held, number of members, contribution towards campus life, etc. exists and that this may merely be a means of coopting that source of funding for a particular (i.e., pro-USU) purpose, so rather than it rewarding the successful clubs it would be rewarding those clubs that seek to preserve the status quo. I could be wrong, and that's why I asked the original question.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Generator, if you want to class a "rally against the government!!!" as contributing to campus life, or as a social event go ahead.
The truth is, they're upset that they don't get enough people out so they're going to pay them off.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Generator, if you want to class a "rally against the government!!!" as contributing to campus life, or as a social event go ahead.
The truth is, they're upset that they don't get enough people out so they're going to pay them off.
Read what I poted, please.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
I go to a super small uni (wow regional power!) and we dont have any student union funded clubs. Our money goes towards the hanger (where we all sit around and pay pool) and discount movie tickets and food and stuff. Plus like the pub crawl and cocktail party and all...
To be honest we cant afford to lose what little services we have, and the union benifits all of us - everyone hangs out in the hanger between classes, and even the people who dont go to the activities benefit from cheaper foodand stuff.
When you have like no student services as it is, you really can't afford to lose the ones that you DO have.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
LadyBec said:
I go to a super small uni (wow regional power!) and we dont have any student union funded clubs. Our money goes towards the hanger (where we all sit around and pay pool) and discount movie tickets and food and stuff. Plus like the pub crawl and cocktail party and all...
To be honest we cant afford to lose what little services we have, and the union benifits all of us - everyone hangs out in the hanger between classes, and even the people who dont go to the activities benefit from cheaper foodand stuff.
When you have like no student services as it is, you really can't afford to lose the ones that you DO have.
LadyBec, it's VOLUNTARY student unionism. I.e. at the moment you're FORCED to be a part of the union and pay for it, next year it will be up to you. If everyone in your uni loves this 'Hanger' they WILL continue to pay their fee's now won't they?

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
honestly, NTB i'm not a COMPLETE idiot, I do realise that.
Im simply saying that everyone in this is going on about clubs and all, without realising that many of the smaller, regional uni's like mine dont even have any.
Plus what's to stop people who DONT pay their contribution from taking advantage of the hanger? they're not going to stand at the door and make sure you've paid before they let you in are they? Actually they have a sign up rigth now saying if you havent paid, you cant go in.
I guess that could give those of us who do pay a card or something to use when we buy stuff, or go to the activities though.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It's not hard to give u a card, or even just have a list of names if there isn't that many of you and ask for Id....

I'd like to know really what your point was if you know that it's going to be voluntary?

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
There wasnt much of a point actually my dear, mostly it was just a fairly mindless rant.
Why should it be voluntery? If i dont have to pay for stuff I dont use then where the fuck are my taxes going? why should MY hard-earned cash (the tinny amount that I actually manage to earn) go towards the baby bonus then? IM not having kids so why should I pay for it? actually I dont use public transport either, so why should I fork out for it?
where do you draw the line? we all pay for things we dont need, want or use so why should student unionism be any different?
and its not like we dont all benefit from it cos we do, even if its just in the little things, like student discounts

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
LadyBec said:
There wasnt much of a point actually my dear, mostly it was just a fairly mindless rant.
Why should it be voluntery? If i dont have to pay for stuff I dont use then where the fuck are my taxes going? why should MY hard-earned cash (the tinny amount that I actually manage to earn) go towards the baby bonus then? IM not having kids so why should I pay for it? actually I dont use public transport either, so why should I fork out for it?
where do you draw the line? we all pay for things we dont need, want or use so why should student unionism be any different?
and its not like we dont all benefit from it cos we do, even if its just in the little things, like student discounts
The tax analogy is a poor one, as has been pointed out in other threads.

walrusbear

HSC
no love for USU here eh? see why i call the board conservative central not-that-bright??

also, don't bother promoting this 'VSU' thing as a real option, VSU really just stands for killing unions - we all know that.

i'll be protesting, i don't think it'll do anything but i think USU is essential to keeping the university as an experience rather than a training ground.

why is the tax analogy poor?

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
I havent bothered to read other threads.
I dont think it's a bad analgy, we pay for services, some of which we use, some that we dont. We have to pay taxes, we have to pay our union fees. This money goes towards the services.
Anyways i'd love to stay and chat. Or you know bitch and argue, but it's getting kinda dark and I dont wanna walk home in the dark, cos god only knows what could happen to me on a deserted uni campus in the dark, so i'm leaving. Have fun kiddies :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
no love for USU here eh? see why i call the board conservative central not-that-bright??

also, don't bother promoting this 'VSU' thing as a real option, VSU really just stands for killing unions - we all know that.

i'll be protesting, i don't think it'll do anything but i think USU is essential to keeping the university as an experience rather than a training ground.

why is the tax analogy poor?
Because taxes are calculated on a basis of who can afford it, paid over a long term period, and serve to provide essential services (such as hospitals, police etc), while those provided by the union are, in the main, recreational.

ohne

HSC
Ironically in attempting to campaign against VSU they have made a strong case for it. This is precisely the reason the government wants to abolish comulsory unionism and I don't think there is any support in the UNSW community for this pathetic action.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I cannot and will not in good conscience allow my campus to continue being the victim of Union politics. Besides, I have an exam that day.

ohne

HSC
LadyBec said:
I've got a better idea. Why don't we just make it compulsory to hand over all of our money to student unions? Us individuals are obviously incapable of making our own decisions and looking after ourselves. Only those miraculous student politicians who save us 20 cents of our lunch at uni after paying $500 can do that ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)