Headstart for year 11? (1 Viewer)

mollytee

HSC
Hey I know this might be early but my school's finished yearlies already and everything is really chill at school so I thought I'd get a headstart for next year. Does anyone recommend any textbooks I could use to learn some of the basic concepts I might need next year? Or even to improve my writing skills? The subjects I'm taking are Extension English, Maths, Legal Studies, Economics, Business and Modern history. Anything is appreciated. Thankyouuu x

ad_321

HSC
Not worth it. Make the most of your bludge to come/holidays.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Trust me when i tell you that you should not do anything, especially in year 10. i swear to god i bludged my lyfe out in year 10, and thats it should be.
Enjoy your last few years of freedom

whacky

HSC
Although it is good to take a break, I would HIGHLY suggest you read your first set of Advanced and Extension English texts, throughout the holidays. This will give you something to do when you are absolutely bored, and it also gives you that excellent head start that you are looking for.

If you want to extend that head start even further for your other subjects, maybe you would like to borrow/purchase the Year 11 Maths Textbook (Cambridge, Fitzpatrick), and slowly chip away at the first few exercises - these exercises are mainly recaps of Year 7-10 work.

All in all, use your holidays well and make sure to rest.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Perfect your basic maths stuff..algebra, coordinate geo..etc. Make sure your essay structure is solid. That's bout all u need to do

MilkyCat_

HSC
honestly just fuck around
I tried to go ahead in the holidays and didn't benefit me whatsoever

Mythos

HSC
lol calm down and relax until year 12, you'll regret working too hard when it doesn't matter

mollytee

HSC
Although it is good to take a break, I would HIGHLY suggest you read your first set of Advanced and Extension English texts, throughout the holidays. This will give you something to do when you are absolutely bored, and it also gives you that excellent head start that you are looking for.

If you want to extend that head start even further for your other subjects, maybe you would like to borrow/purchase the Year 11 Maths Textbook (Cambridge, Fitzpatrick), and slowly chip away at the first few exercises - these exercises are mainly recaps of Year 7-10 work.

All in all, use your holidays well and make sure to rest.
Do all the schools study the same texts for prelims or is it different for everyone? Thanks for your reply :)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Do all the schools study the same texts for prelims or is it different for everyone? Thanks for your reply :)
No every school studies something different, especially in prelims. Just ask your teacher to be and then burrow.

whacky

HSC
DatAtarLyfe is correct. It really does depend on your school. Just inquire and read away! :)

If you have any other questions feel free to ask the Bored of Studies community - we are happy to help out fellow Preliminary students :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe start reading the business section of the newspaper.

pomsky

HSC
Maybe start reading the business section of the newspaper.
Second this for economics. It gives you a good understanding (and habit) of the current economic situation. Plus, you can figure out now if it's something you don't like and drop it early while you can. (But since you're doing business studies as well, I'm assuming you won't)

May help with business, didn't do it so can't say- but definitely for eco.

I don't know about your school, but mine didn't even equip me with the necessary skills to figure out what an essay was at the end of Year 10 lol. (And I go to a top 5 selective, so that really says something).

Also, make a timetable and stick to it. The sooner you get into good study habits, the better. Experiment to see what suits you (because lol, you do not want to be experimenting in Year 12). But other than that, enjoy your time at school and get excited for your senior years :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Maths is the only thing you should be trying to get ahead in during your holidays. And do some reading for fun too so you expose yourself to more texts for English.

Have fun.

IDFWU

HSC
Good choice with legal and modern, best subjects to choose from tbh. For the essay/writing-based subjects e.g legal, english and modern, utilize your free time to practice essays under exam conditions at home just as it is crucial to get used to the pressure etc so you don't have to worry too much or get nervous in exams. However, during your time now and before starting senior schooling (even year 11) you can still kick back a tad, as if you blow all your energy in year 11, in year 12 you'll be over it and obviously that's not good. Just read over the syllabus of the subjects, read books/texts for english (ext is a bloody workload) etc + start maths. if you need any help with modern and legal please feel free to ask me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)