HELLLLLPPPP PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi! So for a task in school, we have to design our own experiment but I've spent hours researching and can't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas for experiments I could do???? Please this is urgent.

You will complete an investigation, in groups, to explore the equilibrium of carbonated soft drink. You will be required to:

•  Design a valid method to explore how the effects of ONE of the following: temperature, concentration or pressure, affect the equilibrium shown.
  • CO2(g) + H2O(l) ⇌ H2CO3(aq) ∆H = negative

c8

HSC
Design an experiment for what?? To explore one of those variables??

mikikieko12

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi! So for a task in school, we have to design our own experiment but I've spent hours researching and can't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas for experiments I could do???? Please this is urgent.

You will complete an investigation, in groups, to explore the equilibrium of carbonated soft drink. You will be required to:

•  Design a valid method to explore how the effects of ONE of the following: temperature, concentration or pressure, affect the equilibrium shown.
  • CO2(g) + H2O(l) ⇌ H2CO3(aq) ∆H = negative

Wow thats a really weird experiment. The main problem with this experiment is that as soon as you remove the carbonated solution from the bottle, the equilibrium will be shifted (because CO2 gas escapes) so it'll be really hard to measure the effect of equilibrium effectively.

Idk how correct I am, but here are a few tips for each effect

Effect of temperature:
- Measure initial weight. Heat the solution of carbonated drink which is at equilibrium under a bunsen burner. This should continue till all solution is gone. This is because equilibrium will shift in the endothermic reaction (because you have increased the temperature which causes a disturbance) meaning there will be more production of carbon dioxide, and since this is conducted in a open system (I doubt you can conduct this experiment in a closed system) this means carbon dioxide will keep on being produced until there is no remaining solution.

Effect of concentration:
- Add more H2CO3 into solution of carbonated drink and measure the mass quickly. Then measure the mass after 5+ minutes.
- This because the addition of H2CO3 causes a disturbance to the equilibrium, and the equilibrium will shift to the reverse direction increasing the production of CO2 gas, hence the mass of the solution after the addition of H2CO3 should decrease by a small amount.

The cons of doing concentration is that the mass change may be really small, so you may not be able to tell if anything happened at all.

Effect of Pressure:
- NO COMMENT
- Just Kidding. If you can somehow get this carbonated solution in a closed chamber and have it be in equilibrium within this chamber. Then somehow get the chamber to shrink and dilate and also somehow measure the mass throughout this whole period then......

Cons if you wanna live then don't do this effect.

Overall I recommend doing temperature cause thats the easiest.
Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Last edited:
HSC
Wow thats a really weird experiment. The main problem with this experiment is that as soon as you remove the carbonated solution from the bottle, the equilibrium will be shifted (because CO2 gas escapes) so it'll be really hard to measure the effect of equilibrium effectively.

Idk how correct I am, but here are a few tips for each effect

Effect of temperature:
- Measure initial weight. Heat the solution of carbonated drink which is at equilibrium under a bunsen burner. This should continue till all solution is gone. This is because equilibrium will shift in the endothermic reaction (because you have increased the temperature which causes a disturbance) meaning there will be more production of carbon dioxide, and since this is conducted in a open system (I doubt you can conduct this experiment in a closed system) this means carbon dioxide will keep on being produced until there is no remaining solution.

Effect of concentration:
- Add more H2CO3 into solution of carbonated drink and measure the mass quickly. Then measure the mass after 5+ minutes.
- This because the addition of H2CO3 causes a disturbance to the equilibrium, and the equilibrium will shift to the reverse direction increasing the production of CO2 gas, hence the mass of the solution after the addition of H2CO3 should decrease by a small amount.

The cons of doing concentration is that the mass change may be really small, so you may not be able to tell if anything happened at all.

Effect of Pressure:
- NO COMMENT
- Just Kidding. If you can somehow get this carbonated solution in a closed chamber and have it be in equilibrium within this chamber. Then somehow get the chamber to shrink and dilate and also somehow measure the mass throughout this whole period then......

Cons if you wanna live then don't do this effect.

Overall I recommend doing temperature cause thats the easiest.
Hope this helps. Goodluck!
WOW!!! This is amazing and helped so much, thank you I really appreciate it :)

MrGresh

HSC
Hey! This is kinda the thing I did for my depth study :)

I just used sparkling water. Basically you put the sparkling water in a syringe and change the volume of the syringe (pressure). If you put an indicator in there you can see a slight shift from how much H+ is dissolved in the water.

So when you reduce the volume -> increase pressure -> push equilibrium towards dissolved --> more H+

and when you increase volume -> decrease pressure -> push equililbrium left --> less H+

Kinda cool but the colour change was very subtle!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)