Help: Does trial rank affect hsc mark? (1 Viewer)

matildas

HSC
i keep forgetting how the school ranks affect your hsc results;

if i dont do very well in trials, but do well in the hsc exam, will my trials pull down the actual hsc result as well? i dont mean the obvious way, like ill do better overall if i do better in both, but does the school rank you have going into the hsc exam affect what result you get?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i keep forgetting how the school ranks affect your hsc results;

if i dont do very well in trials, but do well in the hsc exam, will my trials pull down the actual hsc result as well? i dont mean the obvious way, like ill do better overall if i do better in both, but does the school rank you have going into the hsc exam affect what result you get?
If you mean the rank within your cohort then the answer is Yes.

Your school will have given you an assessment schedule which spells out how much weighting there is on each task they set you, including the Trials. When all tasks have been completed the school will have determined your rank within the cohort and will send the final marks to the BOS. The BOS needs the marks to determine the final ranks AND the gaps between the ranks. After you do the actual HSC exams the BOS will moderate the school's assessment marks using the HSC as the guideline. Then the moderated assessment marks and the HSC exam marks are each worth 50% of the final HSC mark that you will receive. When you get your results you receive three marks - moderated assessment, exam and final mark - which is the average of the assessment and exam marks.

The ranks are therefore very important but more important is the gap between the ranks e.g. you come second in a cohort of 20 but 2 marks behind first will see you probably end up with a better result than coming second with a gap of 10 marks behind first as those gaps will be maintained (with some slight narrowing of the gap due to the aligning process of the HSC which reduces the range of marks from 0 - 100 to effectively 50 - 100).

bouncing

HSC
cem, is it rank within the school (entirely- regardless of what subjects everyone does)
or is it ranked per subject (eg. biology people would not be compared with physics people)?

wouldn't it be unfair if it were the first?

bouncing

HSC
cem, is it rank within the school (entirely- regardless of what subjects everyone does)
or is it ranked per subject (eg. biology people would not be compared with physics people)?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

It's ranked per subject.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Definitely ranked per subject exactly because it would be unfair to only rank across the school as kids do different subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)