Help on choosing the right subject (1 Viewer)

khaiho

HSC
I just started year 11 and have chosen chemistry, physics, economics ext 1 maths and English, and both advanced maths and English. My tutor wants me to drop physics because they said it's harder to do well in physics than other subjects. I'm so confused now because everyone is saying something different. What do I do?

funnytomato

HSC
I just started year 11 and have chosen chemistry, physics, economics ext 1 maths and English, and both advanced maths and English. My tutor wants me to drop physics because they said it's harder to do well in physics than other subjects. I'm so confused now because everyone is saying something different. What do I do?
Did you mean dropping it this year or in Year 12?
If it was for this year, you wouldn't have enough units (12 units are required for Year 11, only 10 units are needed for Year 12)

If it's meant for Year 12, well , by then you should know whether or not you like the course content (probably the teacher as well)
and also your Year 11 results could be somewhat helpful in determining which one to drop.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
I don't think it's fair for us to comment on the difficulty of a course without knowing your strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
In terms of scaling, they are all quite good. So it's really up to you to decide what to drop.

Also you could consult your teachers/head teachers/year advisor.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
The actual scientific concepts in HSC physics/ chemistry are quite easy to understand, the only really difficult things are the really long responses that aren't so relevant to scientific understanding. With only a few really vague things in physics of course... since HSC try to make you understand some ideas that just can't be understood at the highschool level. (BS theory, cough.. cough.. sorry the BSC theory)

Silly Sausage

HSC
Tbh science in HSC is mainly rote learning. Very little critical/analytical skills needed and the majority of calculations are in a plug and chug fashion. You should give it a go and see how you like it. Be wary of people going chemistry and physics scales well (scaled quite terribly in 2013 & 2014 HSC compared to other years) and don't be put off a subject just because your tutor said it was hard.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Tbh science in HSC is mainly rote learning. Very little critical/analytical skills needed and the majority of calculations are in a plug and chug fashion. You should give it a go and see how you like it. Be wary of people going chemistry and physics scales well (scaled quite terribly in 2013 & 2014 HSC compared to other years) and don't be put off a subject just because your tutor said it was hard.
As someone who did science in year 11 who dropped it in year 12, this isn't necessarily true. Whilst a lot of of HSC Science is rote learning, many topics, particularly in chem and phys require understanding.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
As someone who did science in year 11 who dropped it in year 12, this isn't necessarily true. Whilst a lot of of HSC Science is rote learning, many topics, particularly in chem and phys require understanding.
Refer to my postt, it's like the most basic of understanding required.

funnytomato

HSC
@OP,I think this is what people are talking about(Kudos to Carrot :D) :

Eugh.

Those wanting to do Physics, without having the proper Mathematical foundations, should NOT be doing Physics.

Students wanting to study real Physics shouldn't have to suffer the endless "Evaluate the impact of ..." or "Assess X's contribution to ...", just so BOS can cater to those who fit the description of the above line.

Sure, you have a higher number of enrollments, but what exactly is the Board of Studies trying to achieve here? What's the point of having a higher enrollment rate if the students come out knowing little/nothing about real Physics here, then realising that the Board of Studies essentially screwed them over?

If they want to have a rough idea of how things work conceptually (either for self-interest or for showing off their 'Jack of all trades' knowledge) they should be watching YouTube videos, looking around on Wikipedia (quite useful for gaining a rough idea actually) or better yet asking a friend (who knows REAL physics) to explain it to them.

Meanwhile, at the Board of Studies...

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The tutor is being subjective. You need to decide yourself if Physics is something you can cope with.

Also, you are currently on 12 units so you can't drop until the end of this year at the least. Do you have any other subjects in mind which you can switch to now instead of Physics which you think you will enjoy more or find more interesting? Choose something that you find interesting or enjoyable and stick with that.

khaiho

HSC
I was thinking of swapping to Business studies, either economics or physics to business studies

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
If your in the science thread, you've chosen the correct subjects.

But nah, choose whatever you enjoy doing more, a large portion of physics is like a social science if that matters to your choice.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I was thinking of swapping to Business studies, either economics or physics to business studies
Do what you think you will enjoy more and/or that you think will be relevant to what you want to do after you finish your HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)