• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help (1 Viewer)

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
I was wondering if there's anyone out there who can possibly give me some advice for my short story for Ext 2, if anyone has any free time just comment here, PM me or add my msn email, noyourewrong@hotmail.com

Thanks

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Gee, do you think you could vague that up a little for me?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
Haha, I think he doesn't want people to copy it.
Understandable, but I don't see how he can expect us to be able to help him if we don't know what he wants help with in the first place.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
eyetalian said:
I was wondering if there's anyone out there who can possibly give me some advice for my short story for Ext 2, if anyone has any free time just comment here, PM me or add my msn email, noyourewrong@hotmail.com

Thanks
vague to the nth degreee....
read up on some of the EE2 forums and get suggestions from there if you are afraid of giving out details
:)

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
No I don't mind anyone knowing it's just that its hard to kind of get my idea out in a post but ill try anyway.

I want to write a script of short story about a female villain and male victim in a domestic violent relationship. With the use of philosophers to aid the debate, does an individual's childhood affect their adulthood.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
First of all, if you knew anything about philosophy, you'd know that the question "Does one's childhood affect their adulthood?" is not a philosophical question. It's a behavioural question, and much more related to psychology than philosophy. Yes, there are philosophical connotations, but there's a much more tangible connection to behavioural psychology.

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Oh damn ok

Is there anyway I could link my story to why she commits the crime to a philosophical theory?

Dave2007

HSC
Yes you could, you could link it to the whole idea of "existence" and "identity". What is identity? Is it only in the eyes of others? What if we take a life, would that prove we exist? What about them?

So many philosophers have wrote ridiculously complicated stuff on that that if you chucked it all in in the tone of a crazy person, you could have a MW script going that is really good for not that much work.

princesskt

HSC
aw im doing the same kinda thing but not really idea lol.. actually, its prolly not like it at all since im doing 3 parts and only one part is centred on domestic violence lol..

nichhhole

HSC
eyetalian said:
Oh damn ok

Is there anyway I could link my story to why she commits the crime to a philosophical theory?

Um...
YES!
haha :)...
wikipedia it to get a vague idea...
then research furthur from there...
If you're looking at how individual chidlhood's affect adulthood, take a look at the 'UP' series..
it's more of a social experiment where a director chose a few kids, and regularly comes in and checks out how their lives are going [ever 7 years..]
making a statement as to whether individuals backgrounds affect their futures.
Not quite what you're into.. but have alook.
:)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
eyetalian said:
Oh damn ok

Philosophy is more concerned with the nature of what is and why it is that way. A philosophical argument would be that objects only have as much meaning as we give them. At its most basic level, an object is just an object and it is human being who give it a definition. Believe it or not, The Matrix is a prime example of a philosophical film (but only really the first one). It is concerned with the nature of reality and how human beings exist in that reality. Other arguments revolve around the nature and flow of time, the soul and memory.

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
princesskt said:
aw im doing the same kinda thing but not really idea lol.. actually, its prolly not like it at all since im doing 3 parts and only one part is centred on domestic violence lol..
what does yours involve, any philosophers or psychologists.

Umm btw when my english teacher was explaining the course he was trying to say that it isnt a writing course but an english course and just a plain well written story wont cut it, it has to have something to do with English and/or Literature.

princesskt

HSC
naa no psychologists involved but its centred on the guy who commits the act and why he does it.. its revolved around his thoughts and feelings.. well thats my intention anyway lol

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Dave2007 said:
Yes you could, you could link it to the whole idea of "existence" and "identity". What is identity? Is it only in the eyes of others? What if we take a life, would that prove we exist? What about them?

So many philosophers have wrote ridiculously complicated stuff on that that if you chucked it all in in the tone of a crazy person, you could have a MW script going that is really good for not that much work.
Im sorry but i dont understand how i could link the two ideas that way.

Dave2007

HSC
Basically I was thinking of philosophical ideas that could be applied to a story about crazy people.

Not necessarily your direct original ideas about the specificities or upbringing of crazy people.

Sorry I didnt' make a distinction :)

So are you any closer to solving your writers block and making a decision?

madwoman

HSC
Like you said before, it should be related to the subject of English.

What course are you doing in Ext 1? Crime Fiction? That should give you some guidance about how to write a crime story and why people commit crime. However, if you are doing a different unit in Ext, there could be some other things that help you (e.g. if its postmodernism, you could do some crazy stuff with the characterisation. like the perp and the victim are the same person, just in different stages of life. or something screwed up like that).

You should probably decide whether you want it to be a gripping, real story or something more theoretical and conceptual. If its the first, you should heavily research domestic violence because the markers will get annoyed if its based on myths and cliches. If you want it to be more conceptual, you'll have to research the psychology of becoming violent, especially for a female (interesting twist there, btw, even if it is a bit vague!!).

With the childhood affecting adulthood thing, read texts about nature v nurture (e.g. Frankenstein and Cyteen and other sci-fi stuff). you could do flashbacks or something as well, to show a direct correlation between the past and present.

good luck. :)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
eyetalian said:
Im sorry but i dont understand how i could link the two ideas that way.
Philosophical plotlines can be very difficult to implement as they tend to be very broad and unless you're very familiar with the concept, I think it would be very difficult to work it into a story, especially one with a word limit of eight thousand (I believe that's what you get). There's no "basic" version of a philsophical argument or a small one, especially of one that would revolve around why someone would commit a crime. You're best to try and take it on from another angle. Philosophy might be an original idea but unless you know with absolute certainty what you're talking about, you could very easily screw it up and get a bad mark.

patbox64

HSC
It might seem kinda messed at first, but look into Freudian psychology. It seems you want to put a philosophical spin, but that whole chidlhood affecting adulthood sounds really freudian to me.

nichhhole

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
Philosophical plotlines can be very difficult to implement as they tend to be very broad and unless you're very familiar with the concept, I think it would be very difficult to work it into a story, especially one with a word limit of eight thousand (I believe that's what you get). There's no "basic" version of a philsophical argument or a small one, especially of one that would revolve around why someone would commit a crime. You're best to try and take it on from another angle. Philosophy might be an original idea but unless you know with absolute certainty what you're talking about, you could very easily screw it up and get a bad mark.

Agreed.
I do not want to sound harsh, but from the post's you've put forth...
you dont really seem to have even the most basic understanding of any philosophical ideologies.
{i'm not saying im an expert...]
Perhaps you could make a few brief references to a philosophical concept... but u might be better off avoiding philosophical arguments completely..
As Objects in Space mentioned, it's very hard to integrate it within a piece, particularly if you have no idea...
p.s if for ext 1 you're doing revenge tragedy... Euripides 'Medea' could be of use...

Also, objects... 12783910237123910 compositions attempt to put forth Philosophical arguements and fail miserably...
I found a MW that attempted to incorporate Nitzschean themes and completely misinterpreted everything.. [and it wasnt as if it were taking a satirical approach ..]

Maybe you should work on a base story first and then 'enrich it' wiht intertextual references,mythology and the like...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)