• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

high UAI.. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Rhanoct said:
All:

I think you're missing what I'm really saying: the vast majority of students in NSW are absolute failures. If you aren't able to stomp them in the HSC (i.e. attain a UAI of 85+), in my eyes,there's something wrong with you.

For a Y11 student to be aiming for a UAI of 70-80 is pretty sad, because you're aiming to be slightly better than someone who spends their final year of school fucking around, who is quite happy to go out and get a regular job and live a regular life.

OP:

Regardless of what other people say, attaining a UAI of 95+ is not impossible just because you aren't a genius at a top 10 school. I personally know people who weren't child prodigies who were able to get upwards of 97 as well as people in y12 this year who are doing exceptionally well and aren't amazing.

If you really can't do well, despite your efforts (and I mean genuine effort), then that's just the way it is, but for the people who make excuses it's your life you're fucking up.

I agree.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
People have different ambitions and they have different generalizations of their own abilities. Just aim for the highest and expect the worst.

In this case: I'm aiming for 100 and expecting 99.95! lolz. Joking.

My parents will kill me if I can't get 99+

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Undermyskin said:
People have different ambitions and they have different generalizations of their own abilities. Just aim for the highest and expect the worst.

In this case: I'm aiming for 100 and expecting 99.95! lolz. Joking.

My parents will kill me if I can't get 99+
asian parents

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
for those who have anal parents that will kill you if you dont get a uai of 99+ i'd grab a knife and beat them to it. :p

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Well, basically when you re-think about it, it's not THAT dire. I mean, when you are technically purposeless (like me right now), having someone to push you is rather necessary; because you know, if getting 99+ then I can choose whichever courses I wanna do later, right? (except for Med and Pharm of course) I'm used to that kind of 'pressure now, free later'. lolz.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Well, basically when you re-think about it, it's not THAT dire. I mean, when you are technically purposeless (like me right now), having someone to push you is rather necessary; because you know, if getting 99+ then I can choose whichever courses I wanna do later, right? (except for Med and Pharm of course) I'm used to that kind of 'pressure now, free later'. lolz.
then i realised hsc wasnt worth the pressure.
its easier than uni.

jlucis

HSC
Rhanoct said:
Really, the HSC is fucking easy. If you're struggling to hit 85-90s when you actually try there's something wrong with you
n00b

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I know aye :(

You agree that if a student doesn't come top 15% of the state that there is something wrong with them?
The average UAI is 65ish, not 50.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
YES. IT STILL IS. 85 = top 15%. The average does not change this fact.
No, tommykins' is actually right. 85 UAI is not equal to top 15%. It is more like top 20%.

Use your logic here. Average = 65 UAI would obviously mean that 85 is not equal to top 15%.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
No. If anything it will lower the top amount.

It would be more like 12.75% for a UAI of 85
That's basically what we have been talking about, isn't it? (i.e. 85 UAI =/= top 15% of the state).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
YES. IT STILL IS. 85 = top 15%. The average does not change this fact.
Not true. It's based on a skewed bell curve distribution, not a linear distribution. As such, about 60 to 70 is the middle. 85 isn't the top 15%.

I'm inclined to agree that 85+ would be about top 20% or so.

Oh, and further, the UAI is based on the entire year 10 cohort, I believe, not the year 12 cohort. So it's really fairly true that 85+ isn't a hard UAI to achieve if you're trying.

Ah, here it is: a UAI 85+ is equal to about the top 25% of the cohort, including year 10 drop-outs. ;) An 80+ is the top 30%, a 70+ is the top 45%, a 90+ is the top 15%. Can you extrapolate what a 60+ is? That's right, the top 60%. It would appear that for the 60 to 90 range it is indeed essentially a linear distribution.

For 2001 to 2005: http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2005-Table-A8.pdf
For 2006 and 2007: http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2007_table_A8.pdf

As you can see, higher UAI's are becoming easier to achieve each year.

fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
No. If anything it will lower the top amount.

It would be more like 12.75% for a UAI of 85
It would be more like wrong. Ignoring year 10 cohort that dropped out, an 85+ is more like top 30% or 40% to yr 12 students.

Last edited:

Paj20

HSC
Rhanoct said:
All:

I think you're missing what I'm really saying: the vast majority of students in NSW are absolute failures. If you aren't able to stomp them in the HSC (i.e. attain a UAI of 85+), in my eyes,there's something wrong with you.
lol and you wonder why everyone thinks your an arrogant prick:p

xJennax

HSC
I don't even know wat UAI to aim for anymore...I put in in SAM but I have no idea what percentage I'll get. It will be a suprise for me lol.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Slidey said:
Oh, and further, the UAI is based on the entire year 10 cohort, I believe, not the year 12 cohort. So it's really fairly true that 85+ isn't a hard UAI to achieve if you're trying.
Yeah it includes year 10 people who dropped out - we got a booklet about it and I was hell surprsied, makes the HSC seem easier (although i'd take a stab that dropouts = 1-2k MAX).

mark678

HSC
louise08 said:
thanks for the quick replies. I wasn't comparing myself to everyone.. i was just shocked I supposed by the amount of people aiming for 95+. When most exams I aim for 70%, but then again I know year 11 doesn't compare what so ever.

thanks x
Seriously most of the people on this forum are studying alot and are interested in getting into the big sydney unis which you need a high uai eg. law/medicine/commerce.

I have researched UAI distribution for 2007 that was:

1.7% 99 UAI or higher
16.5% 90 UAI or higher
32.4% 80 UAI or higher

As you can see a lot of the people on boredofstudies are in the top canditature of the hsc (or aiming for it) :)

so generally speaking a solid uai of 85-100 will get you into a lot of uni courses and you will be beating a lot of people in the hsc.

hope this has enlightened you:apig:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)