His Dark Materials anyone - Philip Pullman (1 Viewer)

Spiked_Phate

overloaded student
HSC
Just wandering through this forum and found myself wondering if anyone has read this series, and how they found it? I read it ages ago, probably 2 years, but its stuck with me as being one of my best reads, and i dunno why, but i was really moved by the end of it, but that could be just me :p

For anyone who hasnt read it, it is pretty much a fantasy series, but from someone who does read a lot of like...more modern/war/sci fi books, its definitly worth looking at, and especialy for someone who reads all the wizards and druids stuff...the best...well...maybe with the ones by um...oh darn...now ill never remember...belgareth the sorcerer...all those...david and or leigh eddings i think, they pretty decent, but yeh

any comments on the His Dark Materials trilogy?

- The Golden Compass
- The Subtle Knife
- The Amber Spyglass

NB: just read in the best/worst reads forum, that this wasnt greatly favoured by sum, lol...what can you do i guess....you like fantasy or you dont

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I said the second book wasn't as good as the first, but I stand by that. If you like fantasy (which I do) then its a fantastic read.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
i read the first and second a while ago and lost interest waiting for the third one to come out. I think the first one is called northern lights?? I dunno, it may have been republished. I intend to find read all three (or are there more now) after the HSC, ie in 13 days time. :D

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
oh i didnt even see that, they're called the Northern Lights, Subtle Knife and Amber Spyglass.... Where did the Golden Compass come from?

Spiked_Phate

overloaded student
HSC
um, i couldnt remember the name either, so i went on th net looking, but i think it was mayb republished, but i do recall northern lights, and its also about the golden compass...so who knows?

Touchstone

HSC
Yeah printed as both 'Northern Lights' and 'Golden Compass'. It definitely was interesting, i liked the links to religion in the 2nd half but the 'war scene' wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. Yeah, the ending does try to get an emotional response from the reader, but i wont say anything in case someone wants to read it.

cuivienen

HSC
My teacher is lending me her books as soon as the HSC is over...*twiddles fingers* can't wait...I also want to read the Sally Lockhart quartet, a.s.a.p

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I read them around the beginning of last year. They're so fucking awesome.
In regards to the Northern Lights/Golden Compass issue, I'm pretty sure the British title of the first book was Northern Lights, whereas it was changed to Amber Spyglass for its American release.

cuivienen said:
My teacher is lending me her books as soon as the HSC is over...*twiddles fingers* can't wait...I also want to read the Sally Lockhart quartet, a.s.a.p
Sally Lockhart, oh how I loved the first book. I never got around to reading the others, but the first one was so engrossing; I couldn't get enough of it.

EDIT: I just read the above post which mentioned the title thing :/ Whoops.

I also remember something else about the series: the Bridge to the Stars website has a page about the Book of Dust, "contain[ing] short stories about many of the secondary characters such as Lee Scoresby and Serafina Pekkala. There may also be information about Dust, the Alethiometer, the Subtle Knife, and dæmons." I don't really know how valid the information is, though.

Last edited:

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
oh!
i got the trilogy for xmas..
read it in two days..
it was wonderful.... similar to harry potter..
tho more sophisticated i think?

i also got this follow up guide to it.. that i didnt quitebother reading..
[just went and looked for it but can't find it.. :(]
i would really recommend these books...
:)

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
webby234 said:
Old thread?

But yeah, like the original poster I read the books a couple of years ago and really enjoyed them. The ending moved me at the time as well - although that might just be because I was 15 or 16.

It's considered to be the antithesis of the Narnia series - although again I think it's more sophisticated - aimed at older readers perhaps.

*Goes back and reads them again* :p
haha i'm in ur sig!(L)

oh... and yeah.. im 16 now and was 16when i read them....
no wonder i liked them :( haha

but yeah, apparently his dark materials is the harry potter for adults..
:)

kloudsurfer

HSC
YAY!!!!!!

They are making a movie out of this! Nichole Kidman plays Mrs Coulter (though she has blonde hair and its dark in the book i think) and Daniel Craig (Bond) is playing Lord Asriel and some unknown is playing Lyra. Plus Eva green (Vesper in the last Bond movie with Daniel Craig) is playing Serafina

How exciting! This has been one of my favourite series since primary school, although when i read it then I was about 11 and pretty much read it for the story. Now when I read it I can fully appreciate its depth. It is really an amazing read, the whole series is (cept the first is by far the best.) Id put it up there with LOTR and Harry Potter in terms of fantasy novels. And it covers such a variety of themes it could be considered other types of novels too. That what i love about it, its not only an interesting, engaging and well written read, but its also multi layered and challenging.

The movie comes out in December. They better not stuff it up!

Last edited:

FerengCheng

Inactive account
HSC
What? Daniel Craig? That's...so strange... I suppose he's okay. They could have done worse...
Anyway, that's deviating from the topic.

His Dark Materials Trilogy is my favourite series. I think it's one of those series which people either love or hate- I know some who find his style too long-winded, and my cynical father is rather disparaging towards Pullman's messages...but I still love it!

spoonbender

HSC
I absoultely LOVE these books! They're definitely among my favourites along with Harry Potter and the like (don't care much for LOTR). I can't wait for the movie. They're also making a game but I just know they're not making an RPG like the book deserves but anyway, what was I saying? Oh yeah, HDM > all :D

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
FerengCheng said:
What? Daniel Craig? That's...so strange... I suppose he's okay. They could have done worse...
I don't think they could have done better. Craig is a method actor, and often takes roles that aren't specifically the main character purely because he wants to play the character, not because of the paycheck. Lord Asiel is one of those characters whose influence and presence is reinforced by the fact that he's rarely seen. Not only is he the best James Bond we've had, he was excellent in Munich (even if his accent was a little funny) and Layer Cake (despite it being even more complicated than the last two Pirates of the Caribbean films). Better yet, he's a fan of the books.

Jessica14

HSC
The movie looks like it's gonna be great. For those who havent seen the extended 5 min preview then youtube it. I only started reading the books when I found out Daniel Craig was playing Asriel- i love him. The books were great and I can't wait to see The Golden Compass.

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
kloudsurfer said:
YAY!!!!!!

They are making a movie out of this! Nichole Kidman plays Mrs Coulter (though she has blonde hair and its dark in the book i think) and Daniel Craig (Bond) is playing Lord Asriel and some unknown is playing Lyra. Plus Eva green (Vesper in the last Bond movie with Daniel Craig) is playing Serafina

How exciting! This has been one of my favourite series since primary school, although when i read it then I was about 11 and pretty much read it for the story. Now when I read it I can fully appreciate its depth. It is really an amazing read, the whole series is (cept the first is by far the best.) Id put it up there with LOTR and Harry Potter in terms of fantasy novels. And it covers such a variety of themes it could be considered other types of novels too. That what i love about it, its not only an interesting, engaging and well written read, but its also multi layered and challenging.

The movie comes out in December. They better not stuff it up!
whoa are they realy turning it into a movie ?
NICE its like my favourite series !

shona1990

HSC
WOAH!
I can't believe they're gonna turn it into a movie! I'm so excited!
My favourite series of books.... EVER!
I really hope they do a good job... I'm actually kind of scared.
I first read these books in year seven, buying the first when I was going overseas and absolutely loved it and read the second and third as soon as I could get my hands on them. I've always wondered when they'd turn it into a movie! I can't wait..... :D

kloudsurfer

HSC
Jessica14 said:
The movie looks like it's gonna be great. For those who havent seen the extended 5 min preview then youtube it. I only started reading the books when I found out Daniel Craig was playing Asriel- i love him. The books were great and I can't wait to see The Golden Compass.
I looked it up and watched it.

It looks soooo good!!!!! I cant wait for it to come out! Its my absolute favourite book!

I hear they are playing down the whole religious thing (eg refering to 'The Magesterium' without explicitly linking it to the church) as to not offend people. I hope they dont too much, it takes away a lot of the depth of the book. Im a christian, and I dont see it as blasphemous or anything...

Marinatos

HSC
I liked them, though not as much as other fantasy books I read. The first books title (in the version at the library and the version I have) is Notherm Lights not the Golden Compass.
I was so astonished when I heard about the movie (like a year ago). Can't wait, although books --> movies are never as good as you think they'll be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)