His Dark Materials anyone - Philip Pullman (1 Viewer)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Northern Lights was re-ttiled as The Golden Compass in America. Since the film is an American production, it uses the American title. They probably won't change it the way they did with Die Hard 4.0 / Live Free Or Die Hard, though. As for the films never being as good as the books, I'd say it's a fair bet Daniel Craig's (limited) scenes will be good because he's such a versatile actor.

On the subject of Daniel Craig, here's a random piece of trivia: in the major theatre production of His Dark Materials, Lord Asriel was played by none other than Timothy Dalton, who also played James Bond (and Daniel Craig's Bond is probably closest to Dalton's; both of which are closest to Ian Fleming's original creation).

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Bumping this thread.

Recently read the trilogy, after i heard the 'contreversy' and fuss the movie was making.

I enjoyed them, first 2 books more entertaining then the last, just in the way it was written. The flow of the story lines were much more smoother. I think Phill tried to squiz too much of his ideas into the third book.

But i would say he did well with fantasing about some of the ideas he borrows from theoretical physics (alternate universes, worm holes) and mixing his fresh ideas about the old Genesis story about original Sin.

It will be interesting to see how the second and especially the third movie pan out. Since they contain alot more anti-religious themes. Which were dumbed down for kids in the ' Golden Compass' but imo impossible to avoid in the 'Amber spyglass'.

B

Brinny92

I loved the series but my favourite book would have to be the Amber Spyglass. It was brilliant!!

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Bumping this thread.

Recently read the trilogy, after i heard the 'contreversy' and fuss the movie was making.

I enjoyed them, first 2 books more entertaining then the last, just in the way it was written. The flow of the story lines were much more smoother. I think Phill tried to squiz too much of his ideas into the third book.

But i would say he did well with fantasing about some of the ideas he borrows from theoretical physics (alternate universes, worm holes) and mixing his fresh ideas about the old Genesis story about original Sin.

It will be interesting to see how the second and especially the third movie pan out. Since they contain alot more anti-religious themes. Which were dumbed down for kids in the ' Golden Compass' but imo impossible to avoid in the 'Amber spyglass'.
I actually don't think they're going to do any sequels since Golden Compass didn't do too well. Check it out on Wikipedia but it doesn't sound good.

I haven't seen the movie but I don't want to. The books are extremely well done the way they are and Nicole Kidman pretty much ruins any movie she's in so I doubt it'd be an improvement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)