Homework for the sake of homework? (1 Viewer)

Annihilist

HSC
If a teacher sets homework for your class, do you do it all, no questions asked? Regardless of how well you know the work?

Or do you only do how much you need to, in order to understand the concepts?

Do your teachers place high importance on doing homework "because you're told to"? Or do they let you decide for yourself?

Discuss.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
During my hsc years:

Did I do it all? No

Did I do it sometimes? Yes

Did I do it if it was compulsory? Yes

Was it compulsory most of the times? Hardly ever (never in year 12)

How did I learn the concepts? Self study/reading/notes etc...

enoilgam

HSC
If a teacher sets homework for your class, do you do it all, no questions asked? Regardless of how well you know the work?

Or do you only do how much you need to, in order to understand the concepts?

Do your teachers place high importance on doing homework "because you're told to"? Or do they let you decide for yourself?

Discuss.
No, I hate wasting time on inefficient and/or ineffective work - so I didnt waste my time on homework which fit into these catagories. I only did homework which was useful (most often for maths).

ZeeZee3

HSC
First half of term 1 in yr 11 this year, did all homework, every single question, analysis, notes etc. Later half, couldnt be bothered, only did what was important. The teachers just hand out sheets and told us to do it, didnt really tell us which questions to actually do that will be benefited from. Selecting which questions are the most important to do is also studying in itself, so i recommend to do that to save time which could be spent on something more important.

Annihilist

HSC
I hear stories from friends at my old school, apparently they give out loads of homework at a time, like textbook questions and whatnot, and order you to do every single one - they check up on it and if you don't do it they give your detentions, regardless of how well you already know the topics.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
No, I hate wasting time on inefficient and/or ineffective work - so I didnt waste my time on homework which fit into these catagories. I only did homework which was useful (most often for maths).
That is what I do as well

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I agree.

The only times I practised problems that I could already do quite easily was when I wanted to get faster at doing them because by doing a lot, I noticed 'patterns' and 'tricks' that helped me get faster.

deswa1

HSC
Same with most of the above. Our teachers don't care if we do the homework or not. Going off Carrot's post, I'd also do random questions that I knew I could do if they looked interesting (for example proving random theorems in the extension section of Cambridge).

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I only do homework if there's nothing with more importance due such as assignments that actually count.

The only homework that I do with consistency is Mathematics.

bleakarcher

HSC
I got in a bit of shit at the start of this year because I wasn't doing the work my maths teacher was giving us because it was pointless. Now maths is the only sub I do homework for. All the other teachers dont care.

eat_well

HSC
I do all of my set maths homework. My teacher makes sure of it because if it don't, she sends N awards home. She's quite strict but it really does help. For everything else...I don't. I do business occasionally but the textbook questions go into much more depth than you will ever need for an exam. I only do my english tutoring homework or when I know I desperately need help in the certain area that the school teacher is setting. I do all of my biology pracs just in case they decide to put it into an exam and everything else is just dot point summaries.

such_such

HSC
If I don't do homework, I get this guilty feeling so I always end up completing them. Saying that, you shouldn't need to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)