• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Homosexuality in Australia (5 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters
HSC
I think you will find that everyone on this forum is familiar with the concept of freedom, and the political philosophy of libertarianism, person.

Are we letting in more libertopians now that Schroe is gone? :(

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Is that the "God hates fags" church that picketed heath leaders funeral or something?
Yeah.

I think the article makes a good point; it's really easy to hate the extremists and use that as a justification in one's own mind as to why none of their own feelings are remotely homophobic. Everyone in that area rallied to rage about how the Phelps were offensive, queer or not, but other issues don't seem to get the same unity.
Talking about homosexuality in this thread? Out of place much?
Punish me, I have been bad.:eek:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah.

I think the article makes a good point; it's really easy to hate the extremists and use that as a justification in one's own mind as to why none of their own feelings are remotely homophobic. Everyone in that area rallied to rage about how the Phelps were offensive, queer or not, but other issues don't seem to get the same unity.

Punish me, I have been bad.:eek:
I thought that I read something of yours claiming that marriage itself is an institution perpetuating harmful gender identities which should be boycotted by all true homosexuals?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I thought that I read something of yours claiming that marriage itself is an institution perpetuating harmful gender identities which should be boycotted by all true homosexuals?
That's one of many stances held within the queer community.

I personally don't have any interest in marriage, I don't think it suits me even though I'm monogamous but I recognise that there's this bundle of rights I won't be able to access without that marriage; it would make myself and any partner I had vulnerable and I wouldn't want that. I also think the legal institution of marriage should be scrapped and we can leave those ceremonies to churches, synagogues, mosques, temples and the like. I'd prefer if we empowered de facto rights a bit more because I'm not keen on this whole implicit invalidation of a relationship without a marriage in the eyes of the law and because, yes, the Judeo-Christian/Islamic form perpetuates gender identities that I'm not overly keen on.

I think a good point also, is how, when the ACT briefly had civil unions, this was regarded as a breach of marriage tradition and wrong. We shouldn't be marrying. By the same token, however, no one was married and so there was never a notation that hey, we just forcefully divorced a whole bunch of people ... because it isn't really marriage. I think that as long as marriage is a legal institution we need to make it one for all because no matter how much weight we give to civil unions, they are still unequal, vulnerable and 'not real marriages' (despite it coming under the no same sex marriage clause ... so no civil unions for us, either). We need to be equal, we need to be safe.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
And I-
suddently dont care about this anymore

What's the deal with airport security? Flying is naturally a romantic and glamorous experience, but I find that these thugs ruin if for me by forcing passengers through the indignity of a search.
I am not an animal

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
And I-
suddently dont care about this anymore

What's the deal with airport security? Flying is naturally a romantic and glamorous experience, but I find that these thugs ruin if for me by forcing passengers through the indignity of a search.
I am not an animal
Incorrect

Iron is every bit the animal, he is a sexy beast. You will be searched, Beast, and it will be thorough.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If I must choose, i'll take the latter kami, shopkeep

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Michael Rowe: KRXQ Sacramento Radio Hosts Encourage Violence Against Transgender Children

Not exactly Australian but I saw this and thought to ask - what is your position on the transgendered?

Do you think a parent should try to support a child who acts contrary to their physical gender? Like here.

Should sex changes be covered in health care?

Your position on including information about transgenderism in schools?

What do you see as the religious position on transgendered persons?

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
We're going to fund surgery for fat cunts, so why shouldn't we fund surgery for kids who want to be transgender.

I think the parents should fully support the child, there have been many instances I've seen/read about where the child very obviously has either a mixture of psychological and/or biological tendencies towards the opposite sex, and I think it's a very real phenomena.

The religious position is against because they're fucking nuts.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Michael Rowe: KRXQ Sacramento Radio Hosts Encourage Violence Against Transgender Children

Not exactly Australian but I saw this and thought to ask - what is your position on the transgendered?

Do you think a parent should try to support a child who acts contrary to their physical gender? Like here.

Should sex changes be covered in health care?

Your position on including information about transgenderism in schools?

What do you see as the religious position on transgendered persons?
Are you talking to me?

I would assume that Catholics would regard the surgery as self-mutilation. We regard both genders as a reality which is good and willed by God. If one, despite feelings to the contrary, accepts his or her gender out of faith and love for God and His ultimate wisdom, despite his/her personal misgivings, then there is certain to be much grace and healing for that individual. This interpretation does not seek to discount their confusion and suffering, but we all have our crosses to bear; it's all a trial.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
We're going to fund surgery for fat cunts, so why shouldn't we fund surgery for kids who want to be transgender.

I think the parents should fully support the child, there have been many instances I've seen/read about where the child very obviously has either a mixture of psychological and/or biological tendencies towards the opposite sex, and I think it's a very real phenomena.

The religious position is against because they're fucking nuts.
+100 for tully

Do we really fund surgery for fatties though? That's uh ...

Are you talking to me?

I would assume that Catholics would regard the surgery as self-mutilation. We regard both genders as a reality which is good and willed by God. If one, despite feelings to the contrary, accepts his or her gender out of faith and love for God and His ultimate wisdom, despite his/her personal misgivings, then there is certain to be much grace and healing for that individual. This interpretation does not seek to discount their confusion and suffering, but we all have our crosses to bear; it's all a trial.
Not all trans people get the surgeries though and just keep with the hormones and the clothes and so on. So why would self-mutilation come into condemnation?

And why should someone accept a flaw in themselves out of love for God? Ought we to accept cancers in our body?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Are you talking to me?

But this is ignoring the fact that physically the person may be one sex, yet psychologically the person is not.

There are numerous studies to support the validity of this, shall we read them?

Wouldn't you then consider all surgery to be mutilation? What about people with face and hand transplants, would you consider that those people should just accept the will of God?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Cancer is an interesting analogy and I suppose you would call it a disease that should be open to a cure. So sure, I would support rational advances in psychology which seeks to understand the problem and offer a dignified solution. However we would still insist that reassigning gender through surgery is a problem for a people created in the perfect image of God. What we do to ourselves, we do to Him.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Nah not yet but they're considering making gastric banding public funded to combat our fatty problem
Couldn't they just rely on survival of the fittest? The fat fall and the strong survive.

It really makes the idea of public funding for sexual transition uncontestable is they're considering that stuff, though. Especially since there would be less reassignments than fat sucking and banding.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Cancer is an interesting analogy and I suppose you would call it a disease that should be open to a cure. So sure, I would support rational advances in psychology which seeks to understand the problem and offer a dignified solution. However we would still insist that reassigning gender through surgery is a problem for a people created in the perfect image of God. What we do to ourselves, we do to Him.
So any and all bodily alteration in the hope of health and life is wrong?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But this is ignoring the fact that physically the person may be one sex, yet psychologically the person is not.

There are numerous studies to support the validity of this, shall we read them?

Wouldn't you then consider all surgery to be mutilation? What about people with face and hand transplants, would you consider that those people should just accept the will of God?
Nah, surgery is great! It's a way of improving the precious life we've been given through rational means. This is a key way of demonstrating how men seeking truth through their work offer others redemption. Catholics loooove medicine :cool:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
So any and all bodily alteration in the hope of health and life is wrong?
Let's not go crazy, Kami. This is only one area which comes into conflict with the divine plan, as we perceive it. God made man and woman as unique and separate beings, in His own image.
Your gender vomit is problematic to us :eek:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Let's not go crazy, Kami. This is only one area which comes into conflict with the divine plan, as we perceive it. God made man and woman as unique and separate beings, in His own image.
Your gender vomit is problematic to us :eek:
Could one not argue that transition allows them to become truly separate? I mean, a man in a woman's body or a woman in a man's body hardly fits the gender mold.

We could extrapolate further; almost all intersex have transitioned in some way without being discretely male or female in such hard terms to begin with. So is it religiously permitted for them to transition?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)