• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Homosexuality in Australia (5 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
withoutaface said:
Being a male who's doing his HSC in 2007 is abnormal. I mean, that description covers 1-2% of the population tops, hence abnormal.
Well no, since "childhood is not an idiosyncrasy". Damn upcoming torts final... =(

Last edited:

Se!zuRe.

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Bshoc, there is no "scientifically correct" way to go about doing things, those are moral decisions which science may merely help to aid. Science isn't good or evil, it's just how we go about discovering how things work, it's value-judgement neutral with no morals. For example take eugenics, science explains how that could work, however whether you think it's a good idea depends on your moral stance on it.
well put!!
-ZING- <3 xD

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Se!zuRe. said:
But along with this comes the idea of homosexuality being a disorder that has been a part of the childs upbrining. Some researchers have infact indentified abnormal patterns of upbringing and relationships that seem to lead to homosexuality. hence homosexuality is said to be the result of some disturbed or traumatised upbringing in this childs life.
Those theories are homophobic bull. No legitimate research has proved such ideas.

Se!zuRe.

HSC
dagwoman said:
Those theories are homophobic bull. No legitimate research has proved such ideas.
seeing i got them from a website that has writen articles on the subject matter.... u can argue with them xD... i dont see u as being a scientist and dont see ur input into that particular subject as being at all valid yet cared for.. i think scientists know alot more than u and i dont see u as to knowing this 'legitimate research"

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
What website is it then? Just because it's a website on the subject matter doesn't mean it's not opinionated bull.

I know a hell of a lot about the supposed "research" that evangelical, right-winged people do on homosexuality, a lot more than you I'm sure, as I'm constantly having to defend myself to people like you. I'm sure scientists know more than I do, but they certainly know more than you too, and you seem to not know much about the topic.

And Jesus, who are you to say you don't see my input as valid? You've written only 5 posts and don't even bother to supply sources.

Last edited:

Se!zuRe.

HSC
dagwoman said:
What website is it then? Just because it's a website on the subject matter doesn't mean it's not opinionated bull.

I know a hell of a lot about the supposed "research" that evangelical, right-winged people do on homosexuality, a lot more than you I'm sure, as I'm constantly having to defend myself to people like you. I'm sure scientists know more than I do, but they certainly know more than you too, and you seem to not know much about the topic.
lemme find the site and post it to u and u can read it first hand.. seeing scientists are the ones doing the research and if i remember "I'm sure scientists know more than I" quoted by u and seeing it is scientific research i believe ur wrong

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Se!zuRe. said:
my new theory.... i was just bored at school hence me referring to this site but IMO homosexuality is not abnormal in the views of the people actively engaging in homosexual relations, or who infact are a homosexual. Due to this i find abnormal as being a persons personal opinion of the subject matter at hand, for Eg an average heterosexula male, usually at a young age and still maturing (jhopkins) ,would consider homosexuality to be completely abnormal, but this is simply just his opinion so whose to say what is and what isnt classified as "abnormal".
So you're saying that I'm an abnormal heterosexual young adult male for not finding homosexuality abnormal?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
This is just tedious. Anyone can claim "scientific research". Post your source and then the discussion can continue.

Se!zuRe.

HSC
withoutaface said:
So you're saying that I'm an abnormal heterosexual young adult male for not finding homosexuality abnormal?
well i didnt quite word it correctly if u read over the posts made by the person im actually referring to im saying alot of young people, usually immature people, do find it abnormal and so do i in fact, but alot of younger people do not go into the ideas that for homosexuals it is normal, they just say its abnormal period... they have no other statements to make except the ones that "guys having sex with each other is abnormal and grosss etc.." but im getting at the fact for the average male it is very abnormal yet people must understand the homosexual views of the subject and realise that for them seeing heterosexuals is abnormal. This general abnormality rules is based on the sexual preferences of those individuals as seeing the opposite sex abnormal...

Se!zuRe.

HSC
dagwoman said:
This is just tedious. Anyone can claim "scientific research". Post your source and then the discussion can continue.
source has been posted ^^ hit it

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Have you noticed that none of the sources in the website you posted are after 1984? A lot has changed in the way society views homosexuality since then (thank god).

Take, for example, the line: "Some researchers (eg: Bieber, 1976) claim to have identified abnormal patterns of upbringing and relationships that
seem to lead to homosexuality." No evidence that proves Bieber's claim is provided, and no information is given on who "Bieber" is.

Furthermore, going into the main section of the website, it is entitled "Lecture Notes for a course in Abnormal Psychology Written by David L. Gilles-Thomas, Ph.D., 1989" Again, a lot has changed since 1989. This is neither a current nor scientific source.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
So let me verify, what you're saying is you believe homosexuality is "abnormal"? If so, in what way?

Se!zuRe.

HSC
dagwoman said:
So let me verify, what you're saying is you believe homosexuality is "abnormal"? If so, in what way?
actually i dont at all... i believe it is very normal and a part of ones life if they desire to have that as their lifestyle preference... i was just saying some quotes that i found so everyone can base their own opinions off them... i do infact believe the question of whether or not homosexuality is (ab)normal is souly based on ones sexual preferences and their ideas and opinions on the subject matter... i dont believe it as infact 'abnormal' i do however believe the statement made that homosexuality can be influenced by child hood experiences and parents involvment in ones relationships throught maturity

Se!zuRe.

HSC
dagwoman said:
Have you noticed that none of the sources in the website you posted are after 1984? A lot has changed in the way society views homosexuality since then (thank god).

Take, for example, the line: "Some researchers (eg: Bieber, 1976) claim to have identified abnormal patterns of upbringing and relationships that
seem to lead to homosexuality." No evidence that proves Bieber's claim is provided, and no information is given on who "Bieber" is.

Furthermore, going into the main section of the website, it is entitled "Lecture Notes for a course in Abnormal Psychology Written by David L. Gilles-Thomas, Ph.D., 1989" Again, a lot has changed since 1989. This is neither a current nor scientific source.
i culdnt agree more with this i was simply stating how the views have changed and if u read a part of it that i said they have removed it from the list so yer... i was just trying to get across past views of homosexuality and how the views have changed over recent decades

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Bieber seems to play a big role in past debates over whether or not homosexuality should be classified as an example of psychopathology.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
But I don't think anyone "desires" a "lifestyle preference"- I don't think sexuality is a choice at all (if that's what you're implying- I may have interpreted what you said incorrectly, though).

Thanks for clarifying your views. I believe that sexuality is majorly based in genetics, however it is lifestyle experiences that influence how individuals convey/practise/realise their sexuality e.g. someone who is gay but brought up in a conservative Christian household may not come to terms with their sexuality until well into adulthood, however I have been brought up in a very open minded and accepting family, so was able to recognise that I was gay and become comfortable with it at a very young age. I don't think childhood experiences alter a person's sexuality, but they may influence a person's attitude towards their sexuality.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I read that article too, KFunk. It comes from the organisation NARTH, or National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality, which to me speaks V0LUMES.

Se!zuRe.

HSC
dagwoman said:
But I don't think anyone "desires" a "lifestyle preference"- I don't think sexuality is a choice at all (if that's what you're implying- I may have interpreted what you said incorrectly, though).

Thanks for clarifying your views. I believe that sexuality is majorly based in genetics, however it is lifestyle experiences that influence how individuals convey/practise/realise their sexuality e.g. someone who is gay but brought up in a conservative Christian household may not come to terms with their sexuality until well into adulthood, however I have been brought up in a very open minded and accepting family, so was able to recognise that I was gay and become comfortable with it at a very young age. I don't think childhood experiences alter a person's sexuality, but they may influence a person's attitude towards their sexuality.
ahh i understand wat ur getting at with ur genetics view and i also think this has a very big part in it.... with ur saying about childhood experiences i sort of agree but i do believe this culd work on subliminal messages and homosexuality may vary in many people as to how they come to terms with it. i'm alos not sure of the validity of this but i have heard of people brought with up with very masculine and "manly" fathers who push their sons towards women do end up with a homosexual son and once again not sure to how true this is but am sure if it is true comes into the idea of childhood experiences. i also believe there are many people out there who are indeed homosexual and are yet to come to terms with it due to religious families, and other possible reasons... lifestyle experienecs may lead to it but seeing as though i am not a homosexual or really know ne homosexuals (cept u now) i culdnt possibly understand ways in which homosexuals practice this or come to terms with it/ first realise it....

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Research would suggest that genetics play a very large role in homosexuality. At the same time, I think to deny early childhood environment any role in the creation of homosexuality is a bit rash, given that genetic factors are unable to account for all of sexuality and given that noone has been able to eliminate any possibility of environmental influence (at best people have only managed to eliminate specific environmental factors).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)