Homosexuality in Australia (2 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

Sianeyboi

HSC
i agree with esquared. i didnt bother reading the whole strand but what is this world coming to. we are in the 21st century here ppl. love is love, you cant control who you fall for it just happens and if you want to marry that person you should have the right to. im a young lesbian and dont even believe in marriage, but i believe that everyone should have the option. you dont see gay ppl putting down straight ppl because of who they love so why cant all straight ppl give us the same respect. i know a majority of straight ppl are cool with gays but for the section of the population that isnt, whats it got to do with you? if ur against same sex marriage, dont marry someone of the same sex. simple as that.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
The other day my sister was listening to my mom and I talk about this and she just interjects with:

"You know, one day people are going to be like 'They didn't let gay people get married?' in the same way that people say 'What, they didn't let women vote?' now."

I hope that happens sooner rather than later.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Will NO ONE acknowledge the complex balancing act involved here?
There are LINES between the individual and the community. This issue CROSSES that line. It is TOO individual.
We are all born equal, we should all have basic rights - such as the right to live without fear of want, freedom from economic and political oppression, and humane/roughly equal material conditions. When we dip below or beyond these basic standards, it all goes to shit. Gay marriage is such a standard that tips the scale

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Iron said:
We are all born equal, we should all have basic rights - such as the right to live without fear of want, freedom from economic and political oppression, and humane/roughly equal material conditions. When we dip below or beyond these basic standards, it all goes to shit. Gay marriage is such a standard that tips the scale.
Why?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
To have a functioning government, society and species, you need swallow a variety of lies about the absolutist nature of things. You need to understand and compromise to mass instincts. Sexuality is one such major instinct. By making a concession to the truth of homosexuality, you make it just that much harder for the majority of folks to slip into their majority heterosexual relationships and start making babies for a healthy future. This is the greater good
The greater good

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Im still not convinced that homosexuality is something that you are born with.

Iron, you pretty much sum up my view, in saying:

To have a functioning government, society and species, you need swallow a variety of lies about the absolutist nature of things. You need to understand and compromise to mass instincts.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Iron said:
To have a functioning government, society and species, you need swallow a variety of lies about the absolutist nature of things. You need to understand and compromise to mass instincts. Sexuality is one such major instinct. By making a concession to the truth of homosexuality, you make it just that much harder for the majority of folks to slip into their majority heterosexual relationships and start making babies for a healthy future. This is the greater good
The greater good
No thanks.

Considering the world is experiencing an overpopulation problem anyways, I don't think we need to worry about making more babies.

HSC
Iron said:
The greater good
So your argument is that by allowing gay people to marry, heterosexual people will become confused and be unwilling/unable to procreate?

Even by your trolling standards that is pretty retarded :eek:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Homos? Im my Australia?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Has anyone commented on how fucking stupid the poll options are yet. after 2000 posts.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Silver Persian said:
So your argument is that by allowing gay people to marry, heterosexual people will become confused and be unwilling/unable to procreate?

Even by your trolling standards that is pretty retarded :eek:
I take exception to that

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think that if we say that there are heterosexual people and there are homosexual people, it creates an inaccurate dichtomy, yes. It subconsciously conditions people to believe that there is a 50:50 chance that anyone new they meet is gay, hence proceed with caution, and deny the assumptions that lead to a rapid development of relationships (when the numbers are nothing like this). But it's not just a crude arguemnt for >babies. It's an argument for having the most enriching community life as possible; i.e. providing the most people possible with the best possible non-material quality of life.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Well ok let's say I accept your assumption and optimally everyone would be a little happier if they were all either gay or straight - that isn't reality...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Enteebee said:
Well ok let's say I accept your assumption and optimally everyone would be a little happier if they were all either gay or straight - that isn't reality...
Que? You assume that my argument makes the majority happier, but it doesnt?
Do I detect a veiled attack on the Menzies/Ike glory years?

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I generally find it hard to tell; Iron makes for a very fleshed out straw man. Mind you, as Iron has pointed out, he contains multitudes, so there is space enough for a smattering of contradiction.

boris

Banned
HSC
I think it's 50% trolling, 50% truth.

I'd still have his babies. I'm good at that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)