Homosexuality in Australia (2 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Freakin600 said:
I'm sure there are many gay couples that would be much better than other parents
That is an argument for not letting those other people have kids... it is not a reason to allow gay couples to have them.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Says who???
Says the countless homosexual couples who cannot get married because fuckwits like you are too weighed down by some shit written in an archaic text.

And then there are all the heterosexuals out here who believe that marriage is a human right, not a right that should be determined on whether you stick it in the vadge or not.

As far as I'm concerned, heterosexual couples can't even do marriage properly. 50% divorce rate? Who are we to tell homosexuals they can't get married.

Freakin600

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
That is an argument for not letting those other people have kids... it is not a reason to allow gay couples to have them.
But there's no law that stops those people from having kids in the first place, is there?

So why stop same sex couples if they could do an equally good job?
Sure if they're crap at it and abuse their kids or whatever then social services could take the kids away.

But it's not fair to stop those who really want kids from having them - and if they go through the whole adoption procedure, i think it'd be pretty fair to say that they want kids!

Like you see all these 16 year olds getting pregnant and stuff because they weren't smart enough to use condoms and they're allowed to keep their kids. Are people saying that adults couldn't look after a child perfectly well, better than a 16 y.o, just because they're the same sex??

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I'm suggesting it is right because marriage by its nature is between a man and a woman established in its very definition.
And you're honestly saying that you don't think the definition of marriage can or should be changed?

God you're a bigger fuckwit than I previously gave you credit for.

X

xeuyrawp

Freakin600 said:
Marriage Act 1961 [nsw] - for a marriage ceremony to be valid then the parties must be a man and a woman at the date of marriage
JUST FOR CLARIFICATION:

Descriptive statement:
Currently Australian states' and territories' law does not recognise homosexual marriage. Many cultures do not accept homosexuality as okay behaviour. My grandmammy hates fags. Etc etc. Noone here is contesting this statement, nor does anyone really care.

Not a descriptive statement: Australian states and territories should recognise homosexual marriage. Cultures such as ours should accept homosexuality as okay behaviour.
Etc etc. This is the motherfucking topic of discussion.

The next person who cites the law, a dictionary, or some fucking Bible verse as a complete argument will be banned. We all understand that many texts and people say that homosexuality is bad. We are arguing whether these texts are correct.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Freakin600 said:
But there's no law that stops those people from having kids in the first place, is there?
Only because we couldn't have a law like that... people wouldn't accept it.

Freakin600 said:
So why stop same sex couples if they could do an equally good job?
Because we can. Because we don't have to let them have kids whenever they feel like it like we do straight couples. We can more easily enforce a reasonable standard of parenting on them.

Freakin600 said:
Are people saying that adults couldn't look after a child perfectly well, better than a 16 y.o, just because they're the same sex??
I don't think the issue is the inability to look after the kids or not loving them enough or any of that. It is just the perception that kids might be psychologically damaged as a result of having gay parents.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
And I should agree with them because they say so...
No you don't have to agree with it, but people like you shouldn't stop or impose your views on the rights of others because you disagree with it. Ellen and Portia are married, has this affected your life in any adverse manner?

I believe that marriage is a human right where marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman. I also believe that freedom of opinion is also a human right.
Marriage being defined as a union between a male and a female excludes homosexual couples. How is this not an infringement upon human rights? Forgetting this bullshit about a union between man and woman (remembering that this Act is archaic), what other valid reason do you have to not support the rights of these people to validate their union?

I dont see how that is relevant to same sex marriage.
How doesn't it? If we have this right, as you claim it, for a man and woman to marry, but we abuse it to the point where 50% of all marriages end in divorce, how can we sit here and say that homosexuals don't have a right to marriage? It's quite evident that heterosexuals can't or don't take marriage seriously, so why should it be a right that we can abuse and in the same breath, withhold this right from homosexuals?

Freakin600

HSC
PwarYuex said:
JUST FOR CLARIFICATION:

Descriptive statement: Currently Australian states' and territories' law does not recognise homosexual marriage. Many cultures do not accept homosexuality as okay behaviour. My grandmammy hates fags. Etc etc. Noone here is contesting this statement, nor does anyone really care.

Not a descriptive statement: Australian states and territories should recognise homosexual marriage. Cultures such as ours should accept homosexuality as okay behaviour.
Etc etc. This is the motherfucking topic of discussion.

The next person who cites the law, a dictionary, or some fucking Bible verse as a complete argument will be banned. We all understand that many texts and people say that homosexuality is bad. We are arguing whether these texts are correct.

yeah yeah i know - i don't agree with it; i think it's stupid. I was just making some reference to what someone said about it being defined in a dictionary as something..... can't really remember what they were saying anymore....

-lol, the most useless comment ever! =P -

X

xeuyrawp

Freakin600 said:
yeah yeah i know - i don't agree with it; i think it's stupid.
Why do you think it's stupid?

Say I want to propose to my girlfriend tomorrow, but anyone is allowed to marry anyone else. How will my girlfriend know that I'm making a serious step to prove not only my love for her, but also my commitment to our relationship? She may think 'yikes, that guy next door just got married to his pet rat. As if my boyfriend really cares about me.'

zimmerman8k said:
^ thanks for clearing that up so concisely (pwar)

I felt saddened by the last 2 pages of this thread. I literally had did a face palm.
That's okay. I think homosexuality issues are usually great discussions amongst people our age, and I honestly think that if people realise that they're not questioning 'the law' at all, but rather just interpreting it, they will reform.

Freakin600

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Only because we couldn't have a law like that... people wouldn't accept it.

So why should people allow it to happen to same sex couples??

Because we can. Because we don't have to let them have kids whenever they feel like it like we do straight couples. We can more easily enforce a reasonable standard of parenting on them.

I'm sorry but only an ignorant shit would say that. 'Because we can' is not a good excuse. Idi Amin killed hundreds of thousands of people 'because he could' - do you think that gave him the right to do it, though?

I don't think the issue is the inability to look after the kids or not loving them enough or any of that. It is just the perception that kids might be psychologically damaged as a result of having gay parents.[/quote]

Actually it's a huge reason because there's a whole debate that same sex couples can't give a child the same love and teachings etc as heteros. And i'm pretty sure a kid's gonna be more stuffed up if his parents are dong drugs and are alcohlics etc etc than just because it's parents are gay.

X

xeuyrawp

zimmerman8k said:
Relationships do not work that way.
Which way?

Whilst I obviously don't agree with it, the argument against homosexual marriage that holds the most weight in the media seems to be that it'll devalue the institution, or some crap.

Edit: Meh, I suck at being a devil's advocate. I can barely even replicate the argument in my head. :p I still can't understand how queer marriage would possibly affect other people - it'd be like saying that the reasonable minority of people who do kinky sex somehow affect those who do vanilla sex.

Last edited by a moderator:

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't think the issue is the inability to look after the kids or not loving them enough or any of that. It is just the perception that kids might be psychologically damaged as a result of having gay parents.
Whoa. Being raised by two women or two men is SURELY WORSE then being raised by drug addicts (as my mother was) or fundamentalists (as my father was), or single parents or no parents at all. OBVIOUSLY.

katie_tully said:
Says the countless homosexual couples who cannot get married because fuckwits like you are too weighed down by some shit written in an archaic text.

And then there are all the heterosexuals out here who believe that marriage is a human right, not a right that should be determined on whether you stick it in the vadge or not.

As far as I'm concerned, heterosexual couples can't even do marriage properly. 50% divorce rate? Who are we to tell homosexuals they can't get married.
This woman speaks the truth of the matter.

Freakin600

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Why do you think it's stupid?

Say I want to propose to my girlfriend tomorrow, but anyone is allowed to marry anyone else. How will my girlfriend know that I'm making a serious step to prove not only my love for her, but also my commitment to our relationship? She may think 'yikes, that guy next door just got married to his pet rat. As if my boyfriend really cares about me.'

lol because if you married a rat it would be something akin to bestiality! =P

But no one is forcing you to marry someone just because they propose; it just giving them the chance to do so

That's okay. I think homosexuality issues are usually great discussions amongst people our age, and I honestly think that if people realise that they're not questioning 'the law' at all, but rather just interpreting it, they will reform.[/quote]

debates like these are fun =]

everyone gets so into it!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Freakin600 said:
So why should people allow it to happen to same sex couples??
Because there is not enough of them to do anything about it.

Freakin600 said:
I'm sorry but only an ignorant shit would say that. 'Because we can' is not a good excuse. Idi Amin killed hundreds of thousands of people 'because he could' - do you think that gave him the right to do it, though?
I didn't just say "because we can." Don't ignore the rest of what I said and then use some fucking ridiculous example like that. WE ARE ABLE TO ENFORCE THE REASONABLE STANDARD OF PARENTING ON GAY COUPLES THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO ENFORCE ON NORMAL PARENTS BUT CAN'T, SO WE SHOULD.

Freakin600 said:
Actually it's a huge reason because there's a whole debate that same sex couples can't give a child the same love and teachings etc as heteros.
I would agree they might not be able to love them in the same way but I think they can love them the same amount, and teachings is an entirely different issue.

Freakin600 said:
And i'm pretty sure a kid's gonna be more stuffed up if his parents are dong drugs and are alcohlics etc etc than just because it's parents are gay.
That is true, but like I said before that is a reason to not allow those people to have kids, not a reason to allow gay people to have them.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I never claimed that homosexuals would do a bad job, I simply argued that it is supposed to be between a man and a woman.
Sorry. What? Supposed to be between a man and a woman. That doesn't even make sense. According to what glorious oracle is it supposed to be between a man and woman.

X

xeuyrawp

fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I never claimed that homosexuals would do a bad job, I simply argued that it is supposed to be between a man and a woman.
We understand that. Please, for the love of whatever god you worship, can you tell us why you (and not someone else who told you) think so.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I think if I hear the word 'social institution' again, I may stab someone in the eye. :)
I think if I hear any of the words 'social institution' 'traditional marriage' 'protect the family' 'burn in hell' 'fabric of society' 'one man one woman' or 'leviticus' ever again I will do that to both their eyes.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I think if I hear the word 'social institution' again, I may stab someone in the eye. :)
I think they fuck up their argument when they refer to it as a social institution and not a religious institution. If it's a social institution, then based on current social trends towards homosexual acceptance, it should have been legalised 10 years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)