Hopman Cup (1 Viewer)

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
I lose? lol, u sound like a friend of mine when we have arguments and try to win em and then he goes "ha u lose!" lol. :)

anyways, Sampras may be all great, but he's had all that time to do that. Hewitt's still only ... oh great I forgot his age lol, i think 21ish maybe, so he's got a lot of time left to bring in those grand slam trophies.

also, that Hewitt/Blake incident at the US Open was just sooo stupid. those Americans! just because Blake happened to be black means they make a big fuss about it. every American tv show u see, if there's a black person, the whole issue of their colour is brought up eventually. i mean come on! who cares about the colour of some person's skin! u don't see that happening on Aussie tv thank goodness. :)

LOL. and how did a hopman cup thread turn into a cricket thread? :p

professor

the style Sampras plays, its virtually impossible to win the French Open...short game isn't wat French Open is about, its more on controlling the game and playing longer game and Sampras isn't good at that, he is more of a short game player where he punishes his opponent with his forehand...or his serve, so i doubt he will ever win the French Open

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
ok i havnt read the whole post cuz its beginning to become partially cricket

anyways can someone remind of what happened about this racism stuff? me seems to have forgotten.. i just remember at one point he was apoligising and stuff...

And also i found it quite funny how hewitt hit his fist on the razquet... i dont mean to be mean or anything though....

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
hewitt i have always reckoned is a fag
hes improvin his attitude but not by much

i mean COME ON man... (hehe like my joke?)
he gets pumped over nothing

sampras i respect fully... he works hard and is smart and is humble with his comments in the media

hewitt's voice with the media is one of a cocky bastard...

right now i am imagining how damn stupid he looks when his mouth his open... his cap is back to front.. hes got the fist going and screaming COME ON!!!!

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
sampras cant play long matches?

are u kidding

do u know how many times ive sat on my couch.. fallen asleep in the long 5 setters hes had with philipoussis... agassi...

then again now he is a bit older... runs slower too

but u cant say hes a short game player~
look at his stats... for 5 set games in his career

i believe he has won quite a lot of them

professor

Short game doesn't imply that he can't play 5set matches, but rather means that each game point is short. Like his tactics is serve and volley and when he recieves, he attacks no matter what...this is what it means by short game...he has got the endurance...
Clay is for long game players like the South American and the Spanish where they play a lot more 'defensive' and play more groundstrokes...this is probably the best way to win on clay and Sampras isn't built for that...

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
i'm with professor there. :)

and ryan, lol i got ur joke :p

:argue:

u see many top tennis players these days as cocky coz of all their positive, focused remarks and comments. they do this to keep their focus and belief that they can win grand slams and tournaments. it may seem cocky, but if it helps em win, then good on em.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Asquithian
good ol cussin and mudslingin argument!

heheh:D

sorry ..

*thinks* 'be nice to moderators':) :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D
funny ... only the 'general' section moderators can mod this section ... its theirs ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i was watching the hopman cup final and i feel asleep ...:)

anyway ... hewitt gets alot of crap from aussies and people overseas because they think of him as some little brat ... and his 'infamous' *come on* and *heart pumping* can be annoying to not only his opponents but also the spectators ...

but having said that ... he deserves at least some credit ... he was world number one for two years in row (and i dont care if you say thats because he played every tournament) ... and he also tries and gives tennis his all ...

although he is number one ... hes a counter-puncher ... which sometimes make spectating boring ...

professor

I'm not a fan of Hewitt but one thing i like about him is his mental game. He gets out there playing without thinking the idea of 'losing' and this is pretty rare now...unlike players like Safin that tends to give up after 2sets...
And i wouldn't say Hewitt is TOO COCKY coz there are other idiots out on the tour more cocky then he is but sometimes he needs to watch what he says and probably admitt his errors and dun praise himself too much...coz now he is threatening to quit the tour only to play in Davis Cup matches thinking he is all great mighty and the world will miss him...

professor

volleying isn't really Hewitt's game coz of his size, like he isn't tall, he has great footwork so it will be a better option to play in the backline...if he can get his volleying game up to perfection, he is basically the next Sampras...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by professor
volleying isn't really Hewitt's game coz of his size, like he isn't tall, he has great footwork so it will be a better option to play in the backline...if he can get his volleying game up to perfection, he is basically the next Sampras...
because he's not tall ... he cant serve as well as the big servers ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by professor
his serve improved a lot over the years and now, he is more physically stronger compare to the Hewitt few yrs back
but its nowhere near as good as the real big servers who can literally win tournaments by serving ... i mean if safin wasnt as mentally fragile as he is, he would be unstopable ...

professor

of course, Safin is built to have big serves but Safin's main weakness is probably believeing himself...like Hewitt does it so well that it actually made him World.no 1, but Safin, one little mistake and he kinda gives up...that big Russian can be unstoppable and he shown that by winning the US Open...Safin needs to relax more when he plays coz if his opponent outsmarts him, he will be gone

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
actually, im still surprised he's still number one ... he doesnt have any 'major' weapons except his ability to never say die ... i guess as critics put it last year, this is a time of transistion for tennis - where the old guard (sampras, to a lesser extent agassi) wave goodbye and the new era (of players like hass, federer, safin, ferroro) dawns ... one of the main assets hewitt has is his ability to play on all services (although he is suspect on clay) which allows him to go pretty far in most tournaments whereas the claycourters earn most of their points (atp tour) on clay like the hardcourters ...

professor

exactly, clay and hardcourt are 2 totally different game and Agassi is probably the best suited player to win on all 4 surfaces whereas Sampras can only manage semi-final in god knows when...
Hewitt doesn't have a major weapon but for a fact that he has descent groundstrokes and thats probably why he can play well in all 4 surfaces like Agassi...but the thing is, Agassi is so consistent with the shots that even Sampras have trouble beating him whereas Hewitt, he can be shaky at different times...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)