How competitive is year 12? (1 Viewer)

gavvsy

HSC
i was just wondering, how competitive is year 12 in your school. Would people in your class/year bitch bout the rankings, who comin first, second? Back stab others to get ahead of them etc? Do others help each other when its close to asessments/ trials?

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
gavvsy said:
i was just wondering, how competitive is year 12 in your school. Would people in your class/year bitch bout the rankings, who comin first, second? Back stab others to get ahead of them etc? Do others help each other when its close to asessments/ trials?
It's really really competitive. Those people who may not have been so smart in their junior years suddenly become top of the grade, people don't like to share their notes (class notes), and people will do whatever it takes to be ahead of you.

puglover

HSC
How competitive is year 12?
As competitive as you make it.

When I was at High School doing my VCE... friends would back over backwards to help each other.. even for SACs! (With the exception of the physics class in which we thought it was fun being ultra competitive.. but if somebody missed some data from a prac.. we gave it to them. We weren't that mean... We would just joke about who has better borders/heading etc lol. I was the only girl of an all boys class.. so it got rather hectic!). These are kids I have grown up with. We stick together. And I definately think it was the right move to make even if kids got ahead of me in SACs because I could sit comfortable knowing that (for the most part) we were all better prepared for the exams. I wanted for them what I wanted for myself.. to be happy! lol :D Yay for working together!

If I end up doing some VCE subjects at CAE. I'll most likely stick to my self and focus on what I have to do. I would not let my books out of my sight.. eg.. letting somebody borrow a book over night for fear of not getting it back. It is risk I don't think I am willing to take. I am not going to go out of my way to help other students. Shall converse with friendly nerds though and anyone with a good heart. I am definately not going to be nasty about it though.

{Also, I am not sure if this topic is in the right section!}

Last edited:

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:
It's really really competitive. Those people who may not have been so smart in their junior years suddenly become top of the grade, people don't like to share their notes (class notes), and people will do whatever it takes to be ahead of you.
Oh..i know.
Like...the most random people come first and you're like..WHO are you and since when are you good at math lol
but it's good...gets you working :D

Sonata

HSC
oh yea competitive it is at my school, wen ppl get their results back they do watever they can to scab a mark or two off the teacher in order to jump up a rank

HSC
Sonata said:
oh yea competitive it is at my school, wen ppl get their results back they do watever they can to scab a mark or two off the teacher in order to jump up a rank
Personally, I don't think that there is anything wrong with that.

Cerry

HSC
My school's pretty good. Everyone in our year pretty much gets along, and we all help each other out. I've never heard anyone say no to a request to borrow notes, aside from "Sorry, I don't have them either", and people will usually stop what they're doing if someone asks for help, or say "Not right this second, but I can give you a hand later if you still need it. Have you asked such and such?"
We do get competitive from time to time, and there are certain people who you always want someone to beat, but it's mostly in good humour.

rebecca9

HSC
Im doing my HSC at a public high school this year. It isn't really competitive at all. Rankings to us dont really matter (like they do to alot of people on this site).

Most of us just do our best and deal with what we get. There may be some competition between friends, but you tend to get that in society in general anyway.

I was so shocked to see that people actually care about what ranking their school is and that they are worried with getting an 80% grading on an exam and how that dissapoints them.

Provided you try your hardest all the time it shouldnt matter what result you get, because you tried your best. and there should be no fight for a ranking, because each of us get what we've earned.

but in saying that, if you think you didnt get the mark you deserved then question it. We each have to fight for what we want, but not for the ranking purposes or beating another person. Fight for satisfaction and equity.

Last edited:

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
my years only got 70 people in it now, so, backstabbing would just be stupid and cause too much drama.
we help each other as much as we can, like holidng lunchtime study groups for one another and emailing notes to people who missed them (like 4 kids in our year have got glandular fever, so we've all pitched in to send them ever days class notes.)

with rankings, im first in everything but maths, so, i wouldnt really know how people feel about it, but i do know theres healthy competition. and friendly jokes about hiring an assassin for me xD its all just funny though, like my friend corinne, for our year book, wrote her biggest mistake was taking the same classes as me and thus never being able to hold a first place. =d
the top five have little competitions and bragging, but we're all mates.
our focus is on doing our best as a cohort though.

rach19

HSC
My school is rather competitive in the subjects I do, I think it would be easier if everyone one wasn't like that because our year is small. Most of the time if someones sitck i'll explain it not because that helps me learn but its what i'd like if I didnt understand. Most people are so concerned with rankings I've only seen my 1/2 yearly ones one because I was given them but I don't look at them, its pointless really because its a limited scope.
Its all about doing the best you can in the end.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I suppose it's rather 'silently competitive'? We just don't talk it out but everyone is trying to come first. Not really dirty one though. Just that people withdraw more and spend more time on their own instead of chit chat and muck around. At least it doesn't do any harm mentally to anyone.

It's daunting to imagine how people stab each others' backs! Normally how do they do it? Being 'mean girls and boys'? Or blackmail one another? lolz. I just can't imagine.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
my year is alright, not too competitive
in the subjects i have i dont have too much competition, but even so we wouldnt 'back stab' each other but rather help each other i.e notes etc

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
(like 4 kids in our year have got glandular fever, so we've all pitched in to send them ever days class notes.)
wow. that's great :)
haha assassination jokes, had a few of those too. i guess you really know what your peers think of your intelligence level when they threaten to kill you! :p

as for my school (about 140 in year 12 I think), I guess it's fairly competitive, especially in Advanced English and the sciences. Modern gets competitive too. People constantly ask each other about marks and rankings. People who do Extension History and Society & Culture always ask me how far I've gotten in my PIP/Ext major work, to compare it to their own progress. It gets really annoying because I'm constantly reminded of those projects when I'd rather not think about them.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
my year is competitive, but it's not the kind of competition where people are stabbing each other in the back (except for one or two girls). My school is barely in the top 110 so it's fairly smart but not the best. Anyhow if i miss out on notes or need help with work, my friends are there to help in anyway they can and i do the same for them but there is competition among us, bragging rights etc. However as stated before there are a couple girl who are both... crazy. I'm not exaggerating. They are both friends so when girl 1 is away the teacher will give girl 2 the notes to give to girl 1. Girl 1 never gives girl 2 the notes and vice versa. Everyone knows because it's happened so many times..they have serious issues imo.

---------------- Now playing: Evermore - Never Let You Go via FoxyTunes

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
What do you mean by "backstabbing"? How can they "backstab" you?

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Like Rageeb said. Not helping friends, or deliberately witholding info from them. Just nasty stuff to try and get ahead, which is awful.
That said, I'm sick of friends of mine asking to see my assessment tasks the night before they're due.
Fuck off and do your own? XD

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
What don't they just bugger off and do their own stuff by themselves? Backstabbing like that is such a waste of time!

lolcal

buy my notes
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
What do you mean by "backstabbing"? How can they "backstab" you?
by sabotaging you, like what someone said girls in their year did, a teacher gives girl A notes to give to girl B who was away, and girl A doesn't give them to her on purpose.

jessi90

HSC
Undermyskin said:
What don't they just bugger off and do their own stuff by themselves? Backstabbing like that is such a waste of time!
people only do it to benefit themselves - i.e. taking advantage of someone

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Undermyskin said:
1 friend in particular never does her own work. Another girl asked to see a section of my SOR assessment she was having trouble with, which I'd actually worked pretty hard on, and virtually copied the whole thing. I asked her to show me what she had, and no joke, it was so similar to mine. I was so frustrated. And I didn't know what to say, cause she's a friend. =|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)