How detailed are your notes? (1 Viewer)

eggy91

HSC
dp624 said:
there's nothing wrong with too much
=P
Lol there is once it begins to push out other info you learnt (usually the first topic).

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
georgefren said:
Wow, thats ridiculous. 24 pages for just one module of work?!
Seems okay to me, for sciences anyway

MSELIM2

HSC
My physics-space notes are about 11000, 42 pages is that too much:( ??
and my religion 1st topic is 32 pages, 11470 is that too much?? my friend has only done like 20 pages.

i have no clue,

ps: wow you must have allot of dedication to learn the whole course on your own, your a champ. :)

georgefren

HSC
uhh ... ive got about fifteen pages of mhistory handwritten notes for my first module. and about the same for eco.

but i suppose you need more for sciences and whatnot.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
georgefren said:
uhh ... ive got about fifteen pages of mhistory handwritten notes for my first module. and about the same for eco.

serious? history=mass notes

eggy91

HSC
georgefren said:

Dude im with you, i have no idea why everyone in this thread is doing so much work for 1 module. My ancient notes are 33 hand written pages long but these ppl seem to think you need like 60 lol. Also did i see someone above say they did like 30 pages for religion? If so that really is just ridiculous...

Last edited:

MSELIM2

HSC
i think i am going to have to make a new and more concise version haha :)

i am going to fail the HSC

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
MSELIM2 said:

think positive!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
eggy91 said:
Dude im with you, i have no idea why everyone in this thread is doing so much work for 1 module. My ancient notes are 33 hand written pages long but these ppl seem to think you need like 60 lol. Also did i see someone above say they did like 30 pages for religion? If so that really is just ridiculous...
lol, i see you just changed the length of your ancient notes :p

Babbu

HSC
Getting anxious as I've never ever made notes from Year 7 till now. But is that really abnormal. Ae there others who have never made notes?
Anyone who did well in previous HSCs without making elaborate notes or even none at all?

sirfeathers

HSC
i agree with a lot of what's been said already - i certainly found most of my value to come from the actual process of writing my notes, not so much constantly reviewing them (although they were good for that too)

that said, I guess them optimum amount of notes is where you've put enough thought into them to give them this "sticking" effect, but where you don't compromise the time spent doing other work, especially before exams and other crucial times. so i guess it's just as much a question of organisation and time as it is of sheer volume

sannous1

HSC
i type my notes in alot of detail, when it cums to my HSC , i will cut down the things that are so not relevant, but it wuldnt hurt to have more then less .

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Babbu said:
Getting anxious as I've never ever made notes from Year 7 till now. But is that really abnormal. Ae there others who have never made notes?
Anyone who did well in previous HSCs without making elaborate notes or even none at all?
how do you study for exams without notes? or do all your subjects have textbooks?

eggy91

HSC
MSELIM2 said:

Lol nah you'll be right, just make new notes and only take the most relevant content. For religion were you talking about the 1 unit course (SOR I) ? Cause if so for the first topic "religion in australia post 1945" you should really only be doing about 6-8 pages typed cause its only worth 30% of the test and there is not much you need to know.

eggy91

HSC
-may-cat- said:
lol, i see you just changed the length of your ancient notes :p
haha yeah i counted them, although a fair few are half pages, mindmaps etc.

jennieTalia

HSC
Just my little suggestion. I got 96.2 for my UAI as well :)

How I did my notes-
(I did Ancient, Modern, Eng, Eng Ext 1, religion 1U, drama)

Read textbook.
Highlighted in textbook and annotated everything in there really well.
Write extremely detailed notes that laboured over every point so that I knew I had at least written it out once.
Highlight these notes.
Cut out key points and compact it to two pages per topic MAX. I call these my "cheat sheets" basically lists/diagrams that you COMMIT TO MEMORY. These things need to be memorised, so try and do yourself a favour and make them colourful and interesting and stick em on your wall or something.
TYPE THE CHEAT SHEET UP for clarity, but hand write all the other notes (it makes it stick in your mind more, and it gives you good practice for chugging out the essays).

Notes are NOT the most important thing to study with. I find them useless unless you have a good method (aka the cheat sheet etc).
Better ways include-
*Quote flash cards. See how many you can remember. Stick them everywhere. Fridge, toilet door :p etc.
*Audio learning- Record your voice saying them and listen to it on repeat. (Particularly useful if you record to phone and listen on the bus whilst unwinding before an assessment or something).
*Visual learning- Have to remember the stages of Vesuvius erupting? Have 4 mad colourful pictures right next to your bed to look at.
*Extra- Read around. Read fictional stories about the historical events you are studying. Look up internet sites for the topics and keep reading. Youtube video EVERYTHING. Attending lectures and such at HSC help days can be useful as well.
*Mindmapping- We all hate it, because it sucks. But it DOES work. Especially when you cbf to write a practice essay, so just skeleton it out instead writing quotes that you would use etc within the mindmap. Mindmaps on walls are also useful.
*Have some fun- Make games out of your study. I used to remember historical sources and posters by re-captioning them with a friend of mine with funny things.
*Acronyms. Cut your notes down and instead of remembering the three battles I remembered the three letters C S P. Shortening things helps them stay in your mind. Having a laugh out of them is also somewhat necessary :p. One I used with a friend was along the lines of "Dead Brains Run In Purple Streams"....

Also, check out study guides. If you aren't keen on the cheat sheet then use the simplistic detail in them to make up basic notes of the things you HAVE to know. Then once you have learnt these, start making more in-depth ones that will keep stepping you up an extra band.

Good Luck!

sirfeathers

HSC
btw there have already been long threads about this issue, one i saw a few weeks ago, you should have a look at it

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
jennieTalia said:
Just my little suggestion. I got 96.2 for my UAI as well :)

How I did my notes-
(I did Ancient, Modern, Eng, Eng Ext 1, religion 1U, drama)

Read textbook.
Highlighted in textbook and annotated everything in there really well.
Write extremely detailed notes that laboured over every point so that I knew I had at least written it out once.
Highlight these notes.
Cut out key points and compact it to two pages per topic MAX. I call these my "cheat sheets" basically lists/diagrams that you COMMIT TO MEMORY. These things need to be memorised, so try and do yourself a favour and make them colourful and interesting and stick em on your wall or something.
TYPE THE CHEAT SHEET UP for clarity, but hand write all the other notes (it makes it stick in your mind more, and it gives you good practice for chugging out the essays).

Notes are NOT the most important thing to study with. I find them useless unless you have a good method (aka the cheat sheet etc).
Better ways include-

*Quote flash cards. See how many you can remember. Stick them everywhere. Fridge, toilet door :p etc.
*Audio learning- Record your voice saying them and listen to it on repeat. (Particularly useful if you record to phone and listen on the bus whilst unwinding before an assessment or something).
*Visual learning- Have to remember the stages of Vesuvius erupting? Have 4 mad colourful pictures right next to your bed to look at.
*Extra- Read around. Read fictional stories about the historical events you are studying. Look up internet sites for the topics and keep reading. Youtube video EVERYTHING. Attending lectures and such at HSC help days can be useful as well.
*Mindmapping- We all hate it, because it sucks. But it DOES work. Especially when you cbf to write a practice essay, so just skeleton it out instead writing quotes that you would use etc within the mindmap. Mindmaps on walls are also useful.
*Have some fun- Make games out of your study. I used to remember historical sources and posters by re-captioning them with a friend of mine with funny things.
*Acronyms. Cut your notes down and instead of remembering the three battles I remembered the three letters C S P. Shortening things helps them stay in your mind. Having a laugh out of them is also somewhat necessary :p. One I used with a friend was along the lines of "Dead Brains Run In Purple Streams"....

Also, check out study guides. If you aren't keen on the cheat sheet then use the simplistic detail in them to make up basic notes of the things you HAVE to know. Then once you have learnt these, start making more in-depth ones that will keep stepping you up an extra band.

Good Luck!
maybe for you, notes were always the most effective for me, i hate mind maps, pictures, quizzes and shit. Just saying, everyone learns differently so statements like that in bold are not universally true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)