How do I write with more sophistication and academic language? (1 Viewer)

souli

HSC
I am just wondering if anyone has any advice I could use to make my writing (particularly essays) more sophisticated, and more academic-sounding. Or how to expand my vocabulary to include higher-quality language.

Thank you!

nsw..wollongong

HSC
it is evident = it is thus axiomatic that ___
purpose: the composer contends/challenges/illuminates/elucidates ___
use a lot of linking words: correspondingly, consequently, etc
going past a single interpretation: however, the composer supercedes or transcends this superficial notion/interpretation __

idkkdi

HSC
I am just wondering if anyone has any advice I could use to make my writing (particularly essays) more sophisticated, and more academic-sounding. Or how to expand my vocabulary to include higher-quality language.

Thank you!
thesaurus lol. just make sure u know what the synonyms actually mean instead of using them in a weird context.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
it is evident = it is thus axiomatic that ___
purpose: the composer contends/challenges/illuminates/elucidates ___
use a lot of linking words: correspondingly, consequently, etc
going past a single interpretation: however, the composer supercedes or transcends this superficial notion/interpretation __
i assure you that apart from the linking words using big fancy words for the sake of big fancy words does not impress english teachers at all, i'm not an english teacher but if i read that in someone's response the first thing i think is just how superficial the response feels now just cos (and you get the vibe they're just trying to make up for lack of substance or lack of good writing quality. like no-one uses axiomatic in essays ever). big fancy words and phrases can also convolute your essay which is the last thing you want, especially since you don't have time in 40 minutes to have a bajillion words complicating a simple idea. linking words make your essay more cohesive but they're not a necessity (though i highly recommend using them where appropriate). for example, the provided quote for 'going past a simple interpretation' can have the same sentiment expressed in a much shorter way (experience: i've convoluted my ideas by accident and my tutor just flames me to hell and back every single time that happens), which is what teachers would rather read.

Thank you!
extend your vocabulary, but do so appropriately and obviously don't overdo it like what i'm quoted at the very top, and integrate them properly (there is a huge difference between that and saying 'this is axiomatic'. you can do that by reading top mark exemplar responses and see how they shape sophisticated language (but tbh i've read a few exemplars and a lot of them have achieved the top mark by using simplistic language that presents the idea concisely and clearly), and going through critical readings because they have a lot of words you can steal from

nsw..wollongong

HSC
like no-one uses axiomatic in essays ever. big fancy words and phrases can also convolute your essay which is the last thing you want, especially since you don't have time in 40 minutes to have a bajillion words complicating a simple idea. linking words make your essay more cohesive but they're not a necessity (though i highly recommend using them where appropriate). for example, the provided quote for 'going past a simple interpretation' can have the same sentiment expressed in a much shorter way (experience: i've convoluted my ideas by accident and my tutor just flames me to hell and back every single time that happens)
I'm gonna have to disagree here, my teacher seemed to be happy with my inclusion of these elements and commended me on it. considering that that he's a hsc marker, id recommend it too

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I'm gonna have to disagree here, my teacher seemed to be happy with my inclusion of these elements and commended me on it
it might depend for teacher to teacher tbh, but most of the time it just feels superficial because if you're just chucking them in the teachers know. personally the highest marks i've gotten for english in y11-12 were usually the ones that didn't overcomplicate and convolute and only put in big fancy words where it felt natural to (the convoluted ones usually brought down my marks to around 17-18/20 in y11), i've been roasted by both teachers and tutors for doing the same thing : (

nsw..wollongong

HSC
yeah not sure, i was kinda taking it from the perspective of hsc marking bc some of the exemplars I've read also include sophisticated 'jargon' ig, hsc marker teacher liked it

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
yeah not sure, i was kinda taking it from the perspective of hsc marking bc some of the exemplars I've read also include sophisticated 'jargon' ig, hsc marker teacher liked it ig
yeah i remember reading this exemplar for module a that really went up and out with their sophistication and fancy schmancy writing and compared it to a simpler one and they both got top marks, it might depend in the end on the individual teacher but personally i'm not a fan of overdoing it 💀

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Even though they may be ‘academics’ it is still good to write in plain language, all these big words/jargon isn’t always the best thing. Although I wasn’t affected by this in year 12, I remember a friend who had to change his response because of this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)