How do teachers detect plagarism? (1 Viewer)

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
I know a friend who literally copy and pasted 3 pages from various sources on the bored of studies' resources page and got away with it, but there was a guy who got caught for copying from a webpage. I assume they just search for some sentences on google?

mreditor16

HSC
Well there are numerous ways someone might get caught. Here are a few -

a) the teacher recognises a particular sentence or paragraph from something they've read in the past, whether it'd be another student's essay or a critical reading

b) the teacher casually checks for plagiarism by typing in a few random sentences from the student's work into Google, often using quotation marks around the search term to check for exact copies

c) the teacher submits the student's work into a plagiarism-checking program such as Turnitin

So there are lot of avenues to catch plagiarisers. So don't do it!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Another thing that teachers do - as a way of identifying 'suspect' works is to have you write quite a bit in class that they read so they know your style of writing and then when something doesn't 'gel' they do the various checks.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well there are numerous ways someone might get caught. Here are a few -

a) the teacher recognises a particular sentence or paragraph from something they've read in the past, whether it'd be another student's essay or a critical reading

b) the teacher casually checks for plagiarism by typing in a few random sentences from the student's work into Google, often using quotation marks around the search term to check for exact copies

c) the teacher submits the student's work into a plagiarism-checking program such as Turnitin

So there are lot of avenues to catch plagiarisers. So don't do it!
Another thing that teachers do - as a way of identifying 'suspect' works is to have you write quite a bit in class that they read so they know your style of writing and then when something doesn't 'gel' they do the various checks.
This.

In uni it gets a lot more serious where everything gets checked by the system but in all honesty, high school classes are much smaller so it's a lot easier for a teacher to detect something doesn't sound right or consistent.

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
They google a sentence that looks like it doesn't fit the rest, and if you use it without quoting, GG

astroman

HSC
some also count plagiarism for copying an idea, e.g. using a wizard story with three characters will get u caught for plagiarism as not having an original idea.

Sherlock

HSC
N/A
I assume they search up a line or something like that. Don't do it, it's not worth it and there are serious consequences.

Bingobango

HSC
It's pretty easy if you're an English teacher worth your salt to detect when someone's expression is different in an inorganic way to their last pieces of writing, or if something is completely contradictory. I mean, chances are, if someone is plagiarising their writing is pretty shit, and chances are, they're probably plagiarising from someone half-decent. Pretty easy to spot the difference without any technological support. I guess after that they can start googling things so they have proof.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Well some teachers use the software called 'Turn it in'. Other ways include your writing ways and how you usually write.

Larche

HSC
All teachers know all the words on the internets

Aakash123

HSC
There are so many tools to check the plagiarism online and you can also check any paragraph by pasting in google search.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a friend who literally copy and pasted 3 pages from various sources on the bored of studies' resources page and got away with it, but there was a guy who got caught for copying from a webpage. I assume they just search for some sentences on google?
BoS resources page not indexed by Google (or Turnitin I think)
Teacher obviously didn't check everything.

braintic

HSC
N/A
How do teachers detect plagarism?
In the same way a hacker is the best person to write anti-virus software ... they've been there done that.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
ive got a machine added to my computer that I use that detects things like that . It has already been successful in identifying work that has been plagarised and it somehow senses that it is not the students work

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Teachers will know how a Year " " will write. And I'm sure they have accessed a lot of resources to be familiar.

I think your friend has gotten away with it because most of the community of BOS is actually well, teenagers in school or university.

And whoever they are, they are really abusing the respect of BOSers who share content to help everyone else. I think you should really tell them to stop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)