How Do The Bands Work? How are they calculated? (1 Viewer)

stoj19

HSC
Hey,

I have heard a number of different versions on how we actually get our bands....but on the report we get out mark for the school certificate and bands for each subject.

1. THe bands are worked out on ONLY the school certificate tests and 90+ is a band 6 80+ is a band 5 etc

2. THe bands are worked out on ONLY the school certificate tests and are worked out on a percentage of 10& of the top in state get band 6 etc

3. Each school works as a 'team' and gets allocated so many band 6s etc to hand out and you are based on the work you have done throughout the year so the SC doesnt really matter unless you did shit during the year....

So how does it actually work? I'd love to know

militiaman

HSC
Don't know for certain myself, but my understanding is:

- You get a school grade (e.g A, B, C, D, E) based on the grading tests you did and other school assessments. Based on your overall mark I believe. I don't think school's have a certain allocation, but my Geography teacher said that last year they had too many A's in geography so they had to cut a few out.

I believe this mark is scaled a little as again, my geography teacher said she scaled the class up to the state average or something, and I was over 100, so she had to bring me down to 98

- Test band (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). From what I understand this is based on the mark, not a percentage like your UAI. So theoretically 99% of the state can get band 6's and the other 1% can get band 1's (or 100% of the state can get band 6's).

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is all only aquired knowledge that I've picked up during the year.

wanted4911

HSC
i think they get your overall school mark and that acts as 50% and they get your SC mark and thats 50%. They add them together and you get your mark.

If it wasn't like that than it would be unfair for a student who has worked well all year and stuff up in the SC

thats my teacher's version anyway

makes sense i think

wanted4911

HSC
yeah my teacher says they scale the marks

i.e if you get 67 you might end up with a 75 so its never known

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
They don't scale, your teacher is clueless.

The bands are according to raw mark.

Band 6 = 90+
Band 5 = 80
Band 4 = 70
Band 3 = 60

So forth. Anything scaling is just ridiculous.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
wanted4911 said:
i think they get your overall school mark and that acts as 50% and they get your SC mark and thats 50%. They add them together and you get your mark.

If it wasn't like that than it would be unfair for a student who has worked well all year and stuff up in the SC

thats my teacher's version anyway

makes sense i think
That's for the HSC, not the SC.

I failed all my yearlies for SC, no way could I have gotten a 94+ in my subjects if I failed half of my internal exams.

flaminwaffle

HSC
then what do they mean for the weighings for the in-school assessments and internal exams? i had the impression it was 50% and the external was 50% as well >.<

so in that case, the internals and externals are different and never combine?

This is what i thought, the bands were for the external sc and the grades are handed to the school to give to students for their internal work and somehow they came together to form some amalgam 'overall mark' =\ confusing stuff :(

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
flaminwaffle said:
then what do they mean for the weighings for the in-school assessments and internal exams? i had the impression it was 50% and the external was 50% as well >.<

so in that case, the internals and externals are different and never combine?

This is what i thought, the bands were for the external sc and the grades are handed to the school to give to students for their internal work and somehow they came together to form some amalgam 'overall mark' =\ confusing stuff :(
I'll summarise it for you.

SC marks are ALL based on the SC exam (external). Your raw mark is your mark for the SC. Band's are cut off at 90,80,70,60 etc. The INTERNAL marks (marks in your school) are only an indication of whether you satisfactorily finished your course (electives + 5 compulsory subs).

When you get your certificate, you have your internal GRADES (A9, B,C,D etc.)

but your SC MARK is the SC alone.

HSC however, is a mix of both, 50% is internal (ranks insdie school) and they use that to mediate the marks you get in the external exam (that is, the HSC exam).

stoj19

HSC
are you serious....so if we screwed up the actual SC exams we got low bands....thats so gay

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Yes ^^^, thats internal and internals only however.

Who cares, its SC, studying was a waste of time.

Have fun while you can :) I'd say prty ur ass off till June 2008, then start studinyg :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I will be partying my ass off before the HSC. A few raves here and there :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
They don't scale, your teacher is clueless.

The bands are according to raw mark.

Band 6 = 90+
Band 5 = 80
Band 4 = 70
Band 3 = 60

So forth. Anything scaling is just ridiculous.
Great. I have to get 90+ in every exam...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Step 1 - You get TWO different reports for the SC.

The first one is your grade, A,B,C,D,E or N based on your school work. It is up to the school to decide how many of each to give and they need to be able to justify the grade based on matching your work to the Course Performance Descriptors (most schools used a ranking system and determine a cut-off between the different grades).

These grades are NOT meant to match the SC marks as the internal assessment is able to assess a lot more than the SC external exam is able to do. The same principle occurs at the HSC but is reported differently and calculated differenty (but this is a SC thread so I won't go into the differences here).

Step - You sit the SC exams (as you have done over the last two days).

These exams will be arriving at the various marking centres at Homebush (same site as most of the HSC is being marked although SC English is at Canterbury Racecourse (I have a colleague marking there)) tomorrow and the Senior Markers will start going through them tomorrow night.

On Saturday (I believe but as all the SC markers at my school are SMs or higher I haven't asked when the main markers start) the marking process itself will begin.

However, a few weeks ago some of the markers were appointed as 'judges' and they had their training day (along with the HSC judges). These people will use the descriptors on the Bands for each course, the exam paper and the marking guidelines to determine the cut-offs for each band. You NEVER get your raw mark but your aligned mark exactly the same as you do for the HSC. Raw marks aren't reported - the public would be horrified if they really knew how low the 'pass' mark is in some subjects.

When you get your SC package you will therefore get TWO results - a grade from the school and a mark and band for the exams you just sat.

Personally when I get students into Year 11 and ask them their SC results I won't their school based grade as they is a better reflection of their year's work and ability then just a one-off test that many students haven't even studied for.

homijoe

HSC
cem said:
Step 1 - You get TWO different reports for the SC.

The first one is your grade, A,B,C,D,E or N based on your school work. It is up to the school to decide how many of each to give and they need to be able to justify the grade based on matching your work to the Course Performance Descriptors (most schools used a ranking system and determine a cut-off between the different grades).

These grades are NOT meant to match the SC marks as the internal assessment is able to assess a lot more than the SC external exam is able to do. The same principle occurs at the HSC but is reported differently and calculated differenty (but this is a SC thread so I won't go into the differences here).

Step - You sit the SC exams (as you have done over the last two days).

These exams will be arriving at the various marking centres at Homebush (same site as most of the HSC is being marked although SC English is at Canterbury Racecourse (I have a colleague marking there)) tomorrow and the Senior Markers will start going through them tomorrow night.

On Saturday (I believe but as all the SC markers at my school are SMs or higher I haven't asked when the main markers start) the marking process itself will begin.

However, a few weeks ago some of the markers were appointed as 'judges' and they had their training day (along with the HSC judges). These people will use the descriptors on the Bands for each course, the exam paper and the marking guidelines to determine the cut-offs for each band. You NEVER get your raw mark but your aligned mark exactly the same as you do for the HSC. Raw marks aren't reported - the public would be horrified if they really knew how low the 'pass' mark is in some subjects.

When you get your SC package you will therefore get TWO results - a grade from the school and a mark and band for the exams you just sat.

Personally when I get students into Year 11 and ask them their SC results I won't their school based grade as they is a better reflection of their year's work and ability then just a one-off test that many students haven't even studied for.

soo if someone has an A grade but his mark in the exam was 44/50 they wont raise the mark to 45 ? correct?

HSC
no. your sc exam is independent of school marks. i barely passed my english trial sc and then got 89 in the exam. my english school mark was like D and then i got that 89 as my exam mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)