How do you deal with disappointment? (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
So the Pre-Trial/Half Yearly HSC exams are over... and today I got the first one back

English Advanced - the exam i am most confident with after completing it, except i could've sworn i messed up the "reading section"

My results:

Reading - 12/15 (80%)
Short Story - 9/15 (60%)
Essay - 9/15 (60%)

Overall - 30/45 (66%)

I was SO confident, and this is by far the lowest mark i have recieved in year 12 yet!

I started at the paper in shock and couldnt believe it. I dont think i've been so disappointed yet... how do you people deal with it?

It seems like 85+ ATAR is out of reach now for me :(

jasonn

HSC
what was your rank for the assessment though?

Many students from my school also thought they would get around 40ish but ended up with 30ish, but its not because they screwed up, its just that the paper was marked harshly.

showy

HSC
You still have time to improve for the next assessment, so don't stress. I reckon the best thing to do would be to go through the paper really thoroughly with a teacher to pick up on where you lost the marks. Or even redo it for your teacher to mark again as practice.

The exam couldn't have weighed anymore than 30% of your internal mark or so- right?

You can make up for it.

blackratpoo

HSC
the mindset i adapt is:
"what is done is done. so your time will be better spent not worrying/stressing than dwelling over it!"
just focus on your next english assessment and make sure you nail it.

Luxxey

candied queen
HSC
Go through your story and essay by yourself or with a teacher/friend/whatever. Figure out where you've gone wrong, because if you were so confident before you were obviously blind to your mistakes.

Identify the reasons why you didn't do as well as you expected and move on. Deal with the areas you didn't do as well in and you'll do better next time round.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
what was your rank for the assessment though?

Many students from my school also thought they would get around 40ish but ended up with 30ish, but its not because they screwed up, its just that the paper was marked harshly.
that doesn't include me you wang

speedofsound

HSC
it's only one assessment, an atar of 85 is definitely not out of reach. you're only half way through the course and still have the actual HSC to go. i can relate, i didn't do that great in my english adv. half yearly either (about 80%), but now i just have to get over it and work on pushing up my ranking.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
its just a matter of turning your disappointment into motivation
+1!

I managed to do this and I can honestly say it's the most powerful motivation I've felt this year;
So, look as your performance as a good thing- it might even be the push you need to get to your goals :)

Food for thought:
- What were your study methods, maybe they're not working for you?
- How much time did you spend preparing? How well did you use this time (honestly)?

You could even talk to one of your teachers/mentors at school and they can help you review your performance.

Good luck! :)

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
+1!

I managed to do this and I can honestly say it's the most powerful motivation I've felt this year;
So, look as your performance as a good thing- it might even be the push you need to get to your goals :)

Food for thought:
- What were your study methods, maybe they're not working for you?
- How much time did you spend preparing? How well did you use this time (honestly)?

You could even talk to one of your teachers/mentors at school and they can help you review your performance.

Good luck! :)
yeah this i can actually vouch for. getting sub par marks motivates you to work harder, and ultimately smarter. which im trying to figure out whats the best course for my subjects haha

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
When an assessment tasks fucks you over, fuck it back even harder.

Or alternatively work ridiculously hard for the next one. Good luck!

My Engrish marks were good.

Section 1: 15/15
AOS Essay: 15/15
Story: 13/15 :uhoh:

Extension 2 Report: 15/15

Extension 1: ...below 80% :mad:

gracee09

HSC
how do i deal with disappointment??

a good hour session with a punching bag and some chocolate....

then just work harder lol

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)