• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do you write/type notes? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
WARNING: THIS IS A NON-SPAMMING THREAD. Post here for advices not to put down someone who needs help.

My question is:
How do you write/type notes? What are your styles when it comes to writing/typing notes?

I have already typed mines but I realised that they are too detailed. On top of that, I don't think I will be able to memorise the whole notes because it's like a summarised version of the textbook. :mad:
I blame my brain for this.

I am aware of the fact that it is all about understanding the topic but there are contents in the syllabus where memorising is inescapable.

This is one of the extract from my own notes:

Describe evidence to support the cell theory (this is the syllabus dot point)

Robert Hooke's observation of cork cell, Anton van Leeuwenhoek's observation of unicellular organisms & the Walther Flemming's observation of cell division act as ultimate scientific evidences that support the Cell Theory.

Firstly, Robert Hooke's observation of cork cell showed that all living matters are made of cells. Secondly, Anton van Leeuwenhoek's observation of unicellular organisms proved that cells are the smallest units of life that even make up the smllest living matter. Lastly, the Walther Flemming's experiment on living and stained cells that showed the cell division (mitosis) meant that all cell come from pre-existing cells.

Can anyone give me some detailed & serious advices on how to write/type notes effectively?

I wish to know specific tips on how to write/types notes effectively.

By the way, what would you recommend, typing notes or writing notes (with hands)? You can post your own note here if you want. I just want to see what the "model notes" would be like.

Thanks in advance. :D :D :D

Last edited:

agua.fuego

HSC
I go extremes, from 1 word answers to full sentences to all-out short answers. Depending on what I feel I need for that question, that's what I do. Sometimes it is easier for me to go with just 1 word so I can remember and link, but it can flow better in my head if I remember it as a sentence. I'd personally tell you just go with what you feel is comfortable, as a 'specific tip', that's all I do. Also, I go with handwriting when I do my revision notes, I can remember them more effectively, whereas my typed ones just look to generic for me to remember where this section was. Handwriting goes a lot easier for me, and I keep them all in a book based on exam period so that I can start with all my notes in order.

Last edited:

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
i'm a sucker for writing notes out with colours and bullet points because once you've got a system going [i use a 4-colour bic pen and 4 highlighters in whatever's on hand] it's really good for quick referencing. colours really help because in larger blocks of writing you can highlight the keywords and it can trigger the rest of the information associated with that point.

e.g. modern history highlighter code

blue - key people
green - dates
pink - key events
yellow - corollaries

i can't type notes out because i don't really need to think about what i write and the formatting sends me into a pedantic, timewasting fit.

and mind maps never seem to work for me

Last edited:

TheEM

HSC
convert the paragraph into dot points.

agua.fuego

HSC
gouge.away said:
i'm a sucker for writing notes out with colours and bullet points because once you've got a system going it's really good for quick referencing. colours really help because in larger blocks of writing you can highlight the keywords and it can trigger the rest of the information associated with that point.

i can't type notes out because i don't really need to think about what i write and the formatting sends me into a pedantic, timewasting fit.

and mind maps can die, plzkthnx
Yeah, I agree with that. Highlighting adds to how well I remember stuff.

And mind maps CAN die. Mine are always too complicated to understand and end up looking more like a mini-explosion occurred on my page instead of the mind map that's all neat in other people's books.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TheEM said:
convert the paragraph into dot points.
But it does not change the amount. ;)

By the way, thanks for that. I will take that into account. :D

TheEM

HSC
but when you are doing it try summarising a whole sentance into a coulple of words
e.g. An information system is one that's main output that is information
TO
-Information system >output=information

TheEM

HSC
or for your example
said:
Describe evidence to support the cell theory (this is the syllabus dot point)

Robert Hooke's observation of cork cell, Anton van Leeuwenhoek's observation of unicellular organisms & the Walther Flemming's observation of cell division act as ultimate scientific evidences that support the Cell Theory.

Firstly, Robert Hooke's observation of cork cell showed that all living matters are made of cells. Secondly, Anton van Leeuwenhoek's observation of unicellular organisms proved that cells are the smallest units of life that even make up the smllest living matter. Lastly, the Walther Flemming's experiment on living and stained cells that showed the cell division (mitosis) meant that all cell come from pre-existing cells.
-Robert hooke- observing a cork>all living matter contain cells
-Anton van Leeuwenhoek- observation of unicelluar organisms> cells=smallest units of life>make up organisims
- Walther Flemming- experiment on living and stained cells>mitosis - all cell come from pre-existing cells.

I dont so science by the way but i dont think that is incrediably detailes

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
you dont need to have them like mine, as long as you have a systemthat you understand

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lou071 said:
I personally like to type my notes because I tend to remember things clear when I type. I guess it all depends on people.
and about your notes, they seem fine. Why are you worried about? :)
I am a lazy person. I just don't have that capacity to memorise long lists of lines. Thanks for the comment though.

EDIT: can anyone tell me HOW you write your own notes? I might pick some good things up along the way. Thanks guys.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Depends on the topic. Personally, mine would be more detailed, but I guess I really like Bio, lol.

I would write maybe:

Robert Hook
...outline discovery...

Next scientist
...outline discovery...

Last scientist
...outline discovery...

Write one or two sentences on how it all comes togther in supporting the cell theory.

I kind of find it easier to memorise if I space it out, especially with topic headings. Large chucks of text are daunting. Also, diff fonts, underlining, colours-anything to make sections look different and draw attention, making it easier to remember.

Sorry, I'm kind of rushed, that prob didn't help. :)

rambam92

HSC
For me colour coding works the best - it looks organised and is easier to go thorugh afterwards and pik out the important info within your detailed notes
If your neat, hand writing out your notes is great option -
IN that you read the information - summarise - and write down
which i think helps you remember it :)

bettina44

HSC
for me,i would hand write my notes then i would want to change it again so i would rewrite them which helps me remember them.it gets to a point where i would rewite them 3-4 times so i eventually type them up.i tend to follow the syllabus and i too have a colour coding system-blue for the syllabus and orange for the important bits.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bettina44 said:
for me,i would hand write my notes then i would want to change it again so i would rewrite them which helps me remember them.it gets to a point where i would rewite them 3-4 times so i eventually type them up.i tend to follow the syllabus and i too have a colour coding system-blue for the syllabus and orange for the important bits.
Do you think it will work if I do it other way around? (i.e. type notes first and then write with my hands again)
That is because I tend to write quality notes when I type but I cannot seem to produce the same result when I hand-write the notes.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
i hand write and colour code everything.
high lighters are your friends.

i write at an angle, and rather larger, and very quickly. the more you do it, the neater it becomes, and come exams, youll write clearly and quickly.

mind maps are great as well, i stick them on my walls in the weeks leading to exams. for example, with your cell theory notes, id put cell theory in the middle of a page in black. then all your scientists in different colours around the central cell theory title, and dot point the important points beneath.

or id draw a picture of a cell and work my notes into it.

im a strong advocate of handwriting. it sinks in more, and prepares you for exams.

bored of sc

HSC
I type notes... for chemistry I do the dotpoint and then the most succinct, short answer as possible

for PDHPE, maths (yes, you read that right), religion, music I also type them

english I haven't done revision notes yet

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
anyways, the basic idea is to compress your notes down the smallest point, and then, a day later, open them back up into an essay.
shows that you truly know your shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)