How does your school award the dux? (1 Viewer)

ReneeApple

HSC
At my school it's awarded by the highest ATAR achievement, but I know some schools do it on internal assessment.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Highest ATAR at my old school. Academic Achievement/Excellence awards are based on the internal ranks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My school doesn't have a 'Dux' but rather an "Academic Achievement Award" based on internal marks. This is because at the big Presentation Night, HSC marks aren't released yet - so... yeah.

lorcolette

HSC
N/A
Highest ATAR, and those who get 90 or more in any course get a certificate, yay!

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
I was awarded dux at my school presentation night which was november 30, so 2 weeks before ATAR is released. Im assuming it's based on internal marks? I also got overall academic achievement for year 12 (which is internal marks)...don't know whether they are based on the same factors considering hsc marks haven't been released?

ReneeApple

HSC
What do they base dux off for internal assessment if not all the courses are equal?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Based off ATAR at my school.

What do they base dux off for internal assessment if not all the courses are equal?
Tbh i think it only works at lower ranked schools where the person who will get the highest atar can be easily predicted.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, at my school - it was based on who got lots of 'First in Course' Awards. And general rankings in the class as well - for example, if you were ranked last in a subject, you wouldn't get one - in general.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
It was ATAR at my school. However, some schools award an ATAR-based and also an internally-based DUX, which in my opinion is probably fairer since the ATAR is determined by scaling & aligning etc which can lead to distortion of marks.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
My school is internal assessment for dux - like the most firsts in courses. We also have academic excellence which is given out to a few people who are also at the top of a few subjects.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Our school has the Dux to the highest total internal assessment but there is also an award for highest ATAR the previous year (so like this year, they awarded the dux and the 2010 highest atar)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)