How exactly do you study english? (1 Viewer)

quite pro

HSC
hey, this is my first time posting here. i'm getting pretty average marks in english (80ish) and awesome marks (95+) in maths and science, which are the only subjects i care about. i plan on doing 2u english, ext 2 maths and phys, bio and chem and maybe something else but i'm pretty sure my english mark will screw me over. does anyone have any advice for studying english? also, would doing 2u rather than 3u english negatively impact my UAI?

p.s in case it wasn't clear, i meant advice for studying both year 10 english and senior english.
p.p.s i go to baulkham hills high

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
quite pro said:
hey, this is my first time posting here. i'm getting pretty average marks in english (80ish) and awesome marks (95+) in maths and science, which are the only subjects i care about. i plan on doing 2u english, ext 2 maths and phys, bio and chem and maybe something else but i'm pretty sure my english mark will screw me over. does anyone have any advice for studying english? also, would doing 2u rather than 3u english negatively impact my UAI?

p.s in case it wasn't clear, i meant advice for studying both year 10 english and senior english.
p.p.s i go to baulkham hills high
Haha, i had the same problem as you, and i still do. I guess you can try getting an english tutor. But if you're getting over 80% in english at baulkham hills, then you'll get scaled to about 90% i guess. baulkham hills is much better than manly selective.

quite pro

HSC
thanks for the reply. yeah looks like i may need to get a tutor. i'll probably just get one at the beginning of year 11, seems like a waste to pay to improve in year 10.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ah - you go to Baulko eh? Quite a few nice people there. :)

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Ever heard the line 'practice makes perfect'?
Just do the same for english and make sure to practise past papers and do the essays. Learn a bunch of techniques- it'd be really useful

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
~Fire Jade~ said:
Ever heard the line 'practice makes perfect'?
Just do the same for english and make sure to practise past papers and do the essays. Learn a bunch of techniques- it'd be really useful
Practice makes persistence. Perfect practice makes perfect.
That's what my Maths teacher said. :p

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
read the syllabus/rubric. they can only ask you stuff from there, so kinda turn the statements into questions and see if you can answer them. you should be fine if you can do that.

~Fire Jade~

HSC
siddharthlaha said:
read the syllabus/rubric. they can only ask you stuff from there, so kinda turn the statements into questions and see if you can answer them. you should be fine if you can do that.
Agreed! If they ask you anything else which is outside...complain loudly...nobody should test you on anything outside the syllabus! :lol:

quite pro

HSC
wow, i wasn't expecting so many replies that quickly. thanks for the help everyone, it's all awesome advice.

imoO

HSC
If your teacher gives you the core topics, you can practice writing each one on different forms. You won't know what form they will give you, because every year it is different. May be a essay, Narrative, Interview, Feature Article, etc...

All you really need to do is to really familiarise yourself with each of them, and you shoudl do pretty well. Like I went to a pretty crap school, and I was gettign low 60s in half yearlies and stuff, but got 80 for SC...I was happy with it...well not as much as my 92 Maths and 96 Computing :D....but yeah...Computing is apeshit easy...didn't need to study for it....

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah I don't really study for english...

Just listen to your teachers advice and know
concepts and terms and your pretty much all set.

As for writing tasks, have ideas (probably don't try to memorise the whole thing) that can be modified to fit a wide array of questions.

bettina44

HSC
here are my tips:(mainly for the sc)
1.do the test backwards-1 in 4 student do not even get the chance to do the short answer and creative writing
2.use the reading time to plan out the writing bit and read the text.
3.have a look at past sc,they should give you some indication what will be in there and what won't.for example it is highly unlikey they will have a short story in there cause they had one last year.they also tend to recycle their questions.
4.prepare several pieces for the writing task-speech,newpaper article,story etc
5.read the text first then answer the question-harder questions tend torequire you to read the whole text
6.allocate your time
7.read the question
8.practice!

for the prelim-
its all about techniques,techniques,techniques!

maries

HSC
ur a fuking idiot. 85% in english is not average. That is awesome. thousands of kids would kill to be in ur position.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
maries said:
ur a fuking idiot. 85% in english is not average. That is awesome. thousands of kids would kill to be in ur position.
At baulkham hills, 85% would proberbly be average. In yr 10 at my school, most people got 10-15/15 in english, everybody got band 5/6. I got 94 in the SC and my average at school was about 12, which was less than most other people.

quite pro

HSC
maries said:
thank you for the kind words of wisdom

yeah, our average last year was 82%, which was exactly my mark.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
listen to your teacher in class and ask them questions you are not sure about
find out what your weakness in english is and try and practice and work on it i.e ask teacher about how to become better
read your texts at least twice
read books, build your vocab up

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
I think its a good idea 2 buy the Y10 Excel SC workbook, and work through the questions there. It gives some gr8 advice as well on how 2 answer the Vis Rep, and also gives some techniques that u could use in ur writing. I used it and I got a 94

By the way, u can't do Ext 2 Maths in Y11. U will either have 2 take up a 1U art subject/Religion or even 3U english and drop that 4 4U in Y12.

As 4 marks, the extension subjects don't generally affect the 2U subject. I don't do 3U english and I am currently very close 2 the top of the year... However, ur 2U English will DEFINITELY count 2 ur UAI, so I would aim to practise it, even if u don't particularly want 2

Learning quotes from texts is a gud place 2 start studying. U always need quotes

bored of sc

HSC
consistency and continuity :) do a little each day and be sure to know what you are being taught (sounds pretty normal but some kids are just hollow in the head and what is said to them once goes in one ear and out the next)

its all about techniques!!!! know them

make time for extra reading (vocabulary and spelling skills) and revision (so you know your syllabi and texts

complete ALL set homework

ask for the opinion of others about your work

take careful and extensive notes in class - your teacher is a walking english bible (some better than others) and most things they say (although sometimes left field) relate to what you learning

organise your books

reread the texts you are given

reflect upon what you learn on and bring it back to you - the themes and concepts you learn about have relevance to you in differing levels - try to relate all the ideas you touch on to your own personal experiences - that way they the subject becomes more interesting and the subject stays fresh in your mind :)

good luck

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I agree with all the advice that has been posted

I can contribute somethine else though, I'm pretty sure it hasn't been mentioned yet. You should start reading more (Iknow it's difficult to fit in, but just half an hour before bed or whatever is fine) and just get familiar with the flow of writing, and what makes for good structure. I don't know if you are reading at the moment, but yeah, it just embeds sophisticated writing styles into your brain, so you automatically write like that when the time comes.
It's also good for increasing vocabulary.. But I'm sure you know all this.

Really though, 80% at Baulkam Hills sounds like your doing fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)