How good to u have to be to pass law? (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
Actuarial Studies is a major in the Commerce degree. So it's still BCom/LLB

FinalFantasy

HSC
i thought actuarial studies was an optional major in the commerce degree..

FinalFantasy

HSC
§eraphim said:
Any major in Commerce is optional.
ok forget about the ACST bit:p my q. was a bit bad
so B Commerce in general... can be recognised overseas as well?
is there anythin i can do with the B Laws so dat it would be recognised overseas?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Amazing that people have pointed out the significance of highschool english, i only got a band 5 (low band 5) for english and I'm doing rather well.
Then again maybe it's just uws.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
ok forget about the ACST bit:p my q. was a bit bad
so B Commerce in general... can be recognised overseas as well?
is there anythin i can do with the B Laws so dat it would be recognised overseas?
MBAs are well-known globally for their prestige, especially if you do one at an "elite" university. I'm not sure about the BCom though...it's probably more difficult to work in a different country when you don't have a degree from that country, unless you go on an exchange.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
For anyone doing a BCom/LLB or LLB at all, how much of Law involves corporate law and the like? I'm not particularly interested in the criminal law that deals with murder/assault etc. (btw. what do you call that branch?), but after going to a student day at USyd today I've found corporate law to be quite interesting.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Corporate Law (4th year elective)
Advanced Corporate Law (4th or 5th year elective?)
Not a lot, but that's the most you're gonna get. What did you find so interesting about it?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Well for starters I'm interested in Business/Finance...that sort of area. I was just intrigued by the way business activities have to be so closely monitored + even though we didn't go into much detail, the cases the lecturer presented were quite interesting.

What sorts of topics do you cover iin Foundations and further on in 2nd and 3rd year?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Sorry I go to Usyd. Those electives are for usyd, though I'd think they have adv. corporate law at UNSW. You do topics such as crim as compulsory semester long subjects. It's thrown in with stuff like torts, constitutional law, etc. Foundations is pretty much BS for all intents and purposes, just establishes some core skills.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
What exactly does criminal law involve? It seems so vague and rather broad...do you focus solely on acts of violence and harassment, or do you also investigate corporate fraud and white collar crimes?

Btw. back to the original topic of the thread...do you really have to have a passion for english to succeed in Law? Personally, I enjoy expressing myself in essays and written forms but I don't really like analysing novels and picking out techniques blah blah blah. Is the proficiency in English required primarily for the interpretation of legislation and cases or for making a response to legislation...or both?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
MBAs are overrated. Too many shit unis churning out MBA grads (some without proper work experience). The elite uni's offering MBAs are in America so you can bet it will be way too competitive to get in. And let me repeat; MBA is postgrad and you have barely even entered university.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
lol...I am getting a bit ahead of myself :)
I wouldn't go so far as to say that "it will be way too competitive to get in". If everybody thought that way, no-one would apply...if you have a driving ambition to pursue that career path there's no harm in applying. Of course, it wouldn't be for another 10-15 years though. I don't think MBAs are overrated, provided you go to a good uni (as you mentioned)...going through the list of Macquarie Bank directors, about 5 or 6 of them have MBAs (primarily from Harvard) so it certainly illustrates that it's a worthwhile course to undertake (if you get in)

monique66

~ ReNcH ~ said:
For anyone doing a BCom/LLB or LLB at all, how much of Law involves corporate law and the like? I'm not particularly interested in the criminal law that deals with murder/assault etc. (btw. what do you call that branch?), but after going to a student day at USyd today I've found corporate law to be quite interesting.
did you go to degree in a day today? If so..i went to the law lecture too :)

Edit: btw i want to do comm law too! :rolleyes:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
It's very very hard for young uns to get into Harvard for an MBA. Without the necessary managerial experience and I suppose financial support from your employer, you have to be the cream of the cream, ie, be awarded a fellowship of some kind to America. People thinking about MBAs should really be promoted to some senior position; otherwise it just becomes another stupid, costly piece of paper, esp if you get one from say SCU.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
damnation said:
did you go to degree in a day today? If so..i went to the law lecture too :)

Edit: btw i want to do comm law too! :rolleyes:
Yea...I went to the Degree in a Day, but I didn't go to the law lecture. I went to the Economics/Business lecture, but we ended up going over business-related legislation anyway :rolleyes:
What was your other elective?

monique66

~ ReNcH ~ said:
Yea...I went to the Degree in a Day, but I didn't go to the law lecture. I went to the Economics/Business lecture, but we ended up going over business-related legislation anyway :rolleyes:
What was your other elective?
media and politics...*sigh* what a bore...
did u see me?...hmm..i was wearing a black jacket and jeans with pink beady stuff on them...

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
§eraphim said:
It's very very hard for young uns to get into Harvard for an MBA. Without the necessary managerial experience and I suppose financial support from your employer, you have to be the cream of the cream, ie, be awarded a fellowship of some kind to America. People thinking about MBAs should really be promoted to some senior position; otherwise it just becomes another stupid, costly piece of paper, esp if you get one from say SCU.
Yea...that's very true. Right now I'm only talking about it superficially and I would imagine that if I ever do an MBA that I'll already have had at least 9 or 10 years of managerial experience beforehand, hence I wouldn't do it for another 15 or so years, possibly more (and that depends on how well or how poorly I perform in the workforce)

Btw. what's SCU?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
damnation said:
media and politics...*sigh* what a bore...
did u see me?...hmm..i was wearing a black jacket and jeans with pink beady stuff on them...
I can't really remember unfortunately...I went to the Psych lecture in the afternoon...where were you sitting at lunch? (I was around the corner from where the food was, against the red brick wall)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)