How good to u have to be to pass law? (2 Viewers)

FinalFantasy

HSC
Newbie said:
dont worry finalfantasy,
just try your best in the hsc
passing law isnt hard at all

as long as you dont stop studying after advent children comes out in september hehe :)
ahh, and then there's FF7 on PS3 and also FF12 coming out!!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Very few people fail their law subjects. If your English is okay and you work hard you should be fine. It will probably take you much longer to understand concepts and reading cases will be absolute hell for you, but you can do it if you work.

I think the more important question is why do you want to do law? If you don't like English and your English is no good chances are you're not going to enjoy it. Moreoever you probably won't be that interested in it. You should consider doing straight B Com.

X

xeuyrawp

MoonlightSonata said:
I think the more important question is why do you want to do law? If you don't like English and your English is no good chances are you're not going to enjoy it. Moreoever you probably won't be that interested in it. You should consider doing straight B Com.
That's a very good point. My observation is that only people with a clear passion for English and argument enjoy law.

is a roflcopter
HSC
thats means the majority of unsw law school doesnt enjoy law haha :D

Demandred

HSC
The cut for law represents the effort and zeal you put into your work, if you pass the cut offs, I see why not.

Edit - Yes, cut offs may be determined by supply and demand, but I sure the unis has some policy for preventing the most prestigious course drop too low :).

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
bearpooh said:
It seems to be very hard to fail ( or to get a high distinction )

However, if you generally write as poorly as you do in your post,
you will probably flunk every subject.
lol... harsh

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
nick1048 said:
I do Ext. 2 English and I'm currently on about 90 raw mark for eng advanced. I just don't think I'll get the 99.6 UAI required for commerce Law @ Usyd... *sigh*
Just do your best and make the most of every moment this year to work

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
no worries, I'm thinking of a degree in economics combined with computer programming or something along those lines... haven't really looked into it yet, just focusing on executing these blasted assessments and exams.

stamos

sellout
HSC
wow a raw mark of 90 in advanced

unless your school has a pretty easy assessment policy, that's fucking good

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
velox said:
i wonder if he talks like that in real life.
FinalFantasy doesn't really talk a great deal at school...at least not to me anyway. Then again, he's not in my class for anything but maths...

Back to topic...in considering law: I don't mind reading, I enjoy public speaking to a certain extent (though I don't compete for school or anything like that) and I quite enjoy writing reports and essays - although maths is definitely my favourite. I'm currently doing ok in English, but I don't really like the coursework.

This may sound kind of strange...I don't really enjoy analysing texts per se, but I like expressing ideas in writing. I'm still unsure as to whether I'd be suited to a BCom/LLB degree - my main motivation for doing Law is really so that I can get into corporate finance and investment banking when the time comes for me to look for a job after uni...I'd really like to pursue a career in Finance and I don't know if the Law degree would be of much benefit.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Actuarial/Law will get you into IB if you also can manage overloading extra subjects to gain professional recognition.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
But given the workload of ACST/Law, how likely is that? If you want IB IMO it's better to go com/law its more 'direct' (in the way that ACST goes off in a more specific tangent).

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Actuarial Studies is a major in the Commerce degree. So it's still BCom/LLB

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Yeh sorry, I meant say finance instead of ACST. It just seems to make it harder for yourself to do acst/law instead of finc/law if your specific target is IB, since acst leads onto a job all in itself, if you know what i mean.

FinalFantasy

HSC
hey is there any particular things u can take in the B Com\LLB course so that u can work overseas after u graduate?
cuz i know the B Laws in australia is not recognised in china

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
The actuarial professional qualification is recognised globally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)