How good to u have to be to pass law? (2 Viewers)

monique66

~ ReNcH ~ said:
I can't really remember unfortunately...I went to the Psych lecture in the afternoon...where were you sitting at lunch? (I was around the corner from where the food was, against the red brick wall)
yeah same...i was sitting with about 2 other people and then some uni people decided to talk to us for the rest of the time...i was somewhere towards the end, like the very end...hmm..what were you wearing? i doubt i'd remember anyhow, but just for the sake of curiousity :eek:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
More people should do Maths. It's an underappreciated field. I miss the days of a classical education *sigh*

EDIT SCU - Southern Cross University

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
damnation said:
yeah same...i was sitting with about 2 other people and then some uni people decided to talk to us for the rest of the time...i was somewhere towards the end, like the very end...hmm..what were you wearing? i doubt i'd remember anyhow, but just for the sake of curiousity :eek:
I know there was a group of about five or six girls at the bottom of the stairs talking to two uni students - one guy, one girl. Were you one of them? I was wearing a black/blue hooded top and greyish pants :D

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
§eraphim said:
More people should do Maths. It's an underappreciated field. I miss the days of a classical education *sigh*
I wouldn't mind doing Maths because I'm interested in it...however, in terms of career paths it doesn't look as promising as Engineering or other Science majors like genetics, nanotech. etc.

monique66

~ ReNcH ~ said:
I know there was a group of about five or six girls at the bottom of the stairs talking to two uni students - one guy, one girl. Were you one of them? I was wearing a black/blue hooded top and greyish pants :D
There were only like 3 of us but yeah, that might have been us :D Dammit! I love meeting new people! I could have seen you and been like 'my gosh its that rench guy! ' :rolleyes:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
damnation said:
There were only like 3 of us but yeah, that might have been us :D Dammit! I love meeting new people! I could have seen you and been like 'my gosh its that rench guy! ' :rolleyes:
lol :D...it's pretty cool when you go to the same event and you try to figure out who you each are. I knew when I got there that at least one of the people there had to be a BoSer :)

monique66

~ ReNcH ~ said:
lol :D...it's pretty cool when you go to the same event and you try to figure out who you each are. I knew when I got there that at least one of the people there had to be a BoSer :)
true! we're everywhere *silently takes over the world* i wish i saw you know...that would have been pretty cool. Anyway, i met some really nice people there :D
And got a free pen~woot! (okay, i was being sarcastic)
hopefully we can both do com/law next year at Usyd and THEN i can see you :)

Edit: actually there is a thread on the bosers that went in the general discussion on the HSC section, started by yours truly :D ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
damnation said:
true! we're everywhere *silently takes over the world* i wish i saw you know...that would have been pretty cool. Anyway, i met some really nice people there :D
And got a free pen~woot! (okay, i was being sarcastic)
hopefully we can both do com/law next year at Usyd and THEN i can see you :)

Edit: actually there is a thread on the bosers that went in the general discussion on the HSC section, started by yours truly :D ;)
Hehe...well, wherever you go there's always a group of BoSers - study days, campus tours etc - I wouldn't be surprised if around 50% or more of NSW HSC students are either members here or have at least visited the forums :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The BoS connection is strange, particularly when you find out that a guy you chatted to online lives two doors down from you at college.

Is the proficiency in English required primarily for the interpretation of legislation and cases or for making a response to legislation...or both
I'm only a first year, but from what I've seen so far you don't need a proficiency in English to do well at law. I did problem solving in foundations (each university operates differently, I'm pretty sure that Usyd gives you small essays). Statutory interpretation is primarily about learning how certain rules operate by reading cases then applying them to different scenarios - torts and other black letter law subjects work in a similar way.

So far, the focus with written work has been on writing a succint solution to a problem or an essay (around 1200-1500 words) as opposed to the rubbish that we did for English. You'll have to write essays in some subjects (ethics and foundations for example) and answer policy questions (torts) but again, these are quite different to what we do in English (if you want a comparison, think HSC economics essays).

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
You need to have quite a good command of the English language in your law related studies. Some cases are just plain stupid. Some judges like to word a simple theory into a long essay, with words you would find difficult to detect in a comprehensive dictionary.

You need to be able to read quite a 'heavy' load in prepartion for your seminars/tutorials. 50 + pages a week is not abnormal. This is in BoS size 1 font as well. :p

Something as fucked as this size.

When creating a response for your assingments, it is best to be simple and straight to the point. There really isn't a need to create answers that go for 50000000 pages. There will always be a word limit in your assingments and you will almost always struggle to keep within the requested limits.

Also, vaugness in certain pieces of legislation, or commercial contracts may create unlimited ways of interpretation. You can always use that to your very own advantage in responses.

Yes, you fucken need English. :uhhuh:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sample law load of me:

For one class (two classes a week):

Torts = 20 pages
Crim = 30 pages
Admin = 15 pages
Contracts = 30 pages

these are only an taste of the workload and are not representative of the law subject across the semester.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
sample law load of me:

For one class (two classes a week):

Torts = 20 pages
Crim = 30 pages
Admin = 15 pages
Contracts = 30 pages

these are only an taste of the workload and are not representative of the law subject across the semester.
Is that set reading? Because you have a hellava lot more than I have/had for torts and contracts.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
Is that set reading? Because you have a hellava lot more than I have/had for torts and contracts.
yup. it's not light stuff, i've found (albeit a little too late to drop my law degree and become a bludger).

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
But yes. Frigid is telling the truth.
I wasn't saying that he wasn't :rolleyes:, I'm doing contracts now though and I've done torts and the reading has been alot lighter for me.

santaslayer

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't see what's so bad about 20-30 pages really... while you're expected to absorb it all, you do discuss it in class (at least we do).
Wait, frigid has 2 classes/week...

does that mean 30 pages each class???

coz that's quite a load...

esp when he wanted to add an EXTRA subject of law this semester...LoLz

NTB: Yes you discuss some aspects of of your readings but it's always a struggle to fit everything in...

EDIT: ohh wait...that's pretty similar to my load...damn...:p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Who do you have for admin frigid?
Mark Aronson. interesting bloke. makes class interesting with his jokes.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't really find that good English was a prerequisite for law...

I have heaps of LLB friends who are international students. They seem to get by with passes, credits and the occassional low distinction. When I read their work, I notice how ordinary, if not poor, their grammar and spelling are.

I think what examiners really look for are your logic and critical analysis skills.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Omnidragon said:
I didn't really find that good English was a prerequisite for law...

I have heaps of LLB friends who are international students. They seem to get by with passes, credits and the occassional low distinction. When I read their work, I notice how ordinary, if not poor, their grammar and spelling are.

I think what examiners really look for are your logic and critical analysis skills.
So would you say that Law is more about logical thought-processes and reasoning than it is about expressing your ideas?

Btw. how do those guys cope with the level of reading if they're int'l students?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)