How important are hsc ranks? (1 Viewer)

rayya555

HSC
i messed up my trials and calculated my expected atar, around 54. So low i know, but i need 60 min to get into a UWS course.

My ranks are:

English standard- 6/32
General maths- 13/35
Visual arts- 2/7
Foodtech- 2/7
Biology- 11/18
Studies of religion 1- 3/32

My school is a new school we are the first year through too it has no rank currently.

Do you think i have any hope of an atar of 65+ if i really put my mind to it and study a lot?

How does actual hsc marks work too- like if in the hsc exam i do better than the person coming first do they get my mark? thats unfair!!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you come first in the externals you keep your external mark.

The BOS then uses the top external mark to set the top internal mark and the bottom external mark to set the bottom internal mark.

This is where the idea that if 'i do better than the person coming first do they get my mark' comes from but it isn't the case at all.

If you think about it what is the fairest way to actually ensure that students assessment marks reflect the merits of the student - by using the one assessment task that everyone has done in common - the external exams.

So...

The external exam range, average, median etc statistics will be the same, or very close, to those given as the assessment marks but you ALWAYS keep your own external marking which accounts for 50% of your final mark.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Haha, you'll easily get above 60! But that being said, you should still put your best in to the external exams. I think the reason your estimate was so low is that you were putting raw marks into the atar calculator which is a rookie mistake. What area is your school in? Or what are schools nearby ranked? (non selective ofcourse)

Cl324

HSC
N/A
You dont need an ATAR for UWS. I'm pretty sure they're college is open to everyone with a HSC

onedaysnotice

HSC
There are so many bonus atar points that you can get for uws, but in your case, you probably won't need them. :)

rayya555

HSC
thankyou everyone its really helped my motivation! i am just going to really study hard and re learn everything well these upcoming weeks!!! Attitude = 100% i can do it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)