• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How is the class of 05 coping with the pressure of HSC (1 Viewer)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
HellVeN:

yeah I do that too, I have an A4 loose leaf math ex book where I can rip out the messy working out! actually my writing is so appalling, i think its why some of the teachers in my school have transferred =/

JessTW

HSC
hmm how am i copin with hsc well lets see, i try i really do, but im just not motivated, like if i get a choice between school work and anything at all, guess what i chose!!!!! I want to do my work and i always regret it the next morning when ive done max 2 hrs work the nite b4. and im aiming for 90 or above so i know i gotta get stuck into it, but like i said, not motivated

scoby_2000

HSC
alissa_xoxo said:
my school is very laid back and no one really is getting that stressed.

hardly anyone studies. instead of feeling guilt or obligation; most if us just laugh and go do something totally irrelevant and brainless. tell them to study more than 15 hours a week and they'd laugh right in your face and tell you to get real.

but coming on BoS forums has been an eye opener. makes me realise how competitive the HSC actually is - which will probably be what saves my marks in the end.

omg do you go to redlands as well?

i swear no one gives a shit at redlands...

i find my problem is i just hav no motivation...i mean i wanna do heaps well at the hsc and stuff and i tell myself im gonna do work and i have signs all over the place telling me to do it....but i just dont....like i actually for the first time sat down and looked at my physics book the other day and it made it so much easier...

Y CANT I JUST DO IT!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

i tell myself to....i think i might eventually....i wanna do well!!! arghj! no motivation!

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
I know exactly what you mean in terms of not feeling motavated, sometimes its better to try and shut those out that are pushing during the HSC. The reason I say that is because it can do more harm than good. When I was doing my HSC I was getting alot of pressure from family, friends, etc.
So in the end instead of relying on motavation I just set myself guidelines and instead of having others push me I did the opposite & pushed myself. Often I'd say to myself "Right, so I have this food tech essay that I really don't want to do, but if I get it done I'm another step closer to getting year 12 being over" And often looking at it that way kept me motavated because I knew the sooner I got things done; then it was over and that was one less thing I had to worry about.
The ultimate way to keep motavated is to set goals, both short and long term goal. I'm sure that everyones goal atm is to get to the end of the HSC successfully, so to do this effictively set small goals.i.e daily & weekly and then ask youself where you want to be in a month in terms of your schoolwork. All this will in term lead to your long term goal= finishing the HSC.
A good way to goal set is asking the following questions to youself:
* Where do I wanna be at the at the end of the wk, month?(depending on which goal your looking at)
* what do I have to do to achieve my goal?
* how can I stick to achieving my goal?
* who can I rely on to support me while I'm achieving my goal?
and at the end of the time fame which you have to achieve your goal ask youself
* what have I achieved/ learnt from achieving my goal?
This is also good to remember when setting goals:
Specific (be clear and specific on what you want to achieve)
Measurable (make sure its the kind of goal in which you can keep track of your progress)
Achievable (make sure you can achieve it)
Realistic
Timely make sure you goal has a time frame that way you're more likely to stick to it)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
champ_sammy_19 said:
I know exactly what you mean in terms of not feeling motavated, sometimes its better to try and shut those out that are pushing during the HSC. The reason I say that is because it can do more harm than good. When I was doing my HSC I was getting alot of pressure from family, friends, etc.
So in the end instead of relying on motavation I just set myself guidelines and instead of having others push me I did the opposite & pushed myself. Often I'd say to myself "Right, so I have this food tech essay that I really don't want to do, but if I get it done I'm another step closer to getting year 12 being over" And often looking at it that way kept me motavated because I knew the sooner I got things done; then it was over and that was one less thing I had to worry about.
The ultimate way to keep motavated is to set goals, both short and long term goal. I'm sure that everyones goal atm is to get to the end of the HSC successfully, so to do this effictively set small goals.i.e daily & weekly and then ask youself where you want to be in a month in terms of your schoolwork. All this will in term lead to your long term goal= finishing the HSC.
A good way to goal set is asking the following questions to youself:
* Where do I wanna be at the at the end of the wk, month?(depending on which goal your looking at)
* what do I have to do to achieve my goal?
* how can I stick to achieving my goal?
* who can I rely on to support me while I'm achieving my goal?
and at the end of the time fame which you have to achieve your goal ask youself
* what have I achieved/ learnt from achieving my goal?
This is also good to remember when setting goals:
Specific (be clear and specific on what you want to achieve)
Measurable (make sure its the kind of goal in which you can keep track of your progress)
Achievable (make sure you can achieve it)
Realistic
Timely make sure you goal has a time frame that way you're more likely to stick to it)
thanks for the advice champ_sammy!
i wish i was as motivated as u
smart characteristics-thats from business-lol
anyway how did u end up doing in the HSC champ_sammy? what r u doing now?

*ashlea*

HSC
yeah great tips champ_sammy! thanx 4 those
i still find the best motivation 4 me is my competitiveness... im ridiculously competitive, even with myself! its stupid, but it does push me to do better so im for it!
but sometimes it is best 2 block out the others, especially at a time like this when exams are upon us, being around stress mongers (im sure we all have at least one person from our class that springs to mind here) just makes u more stressed.. i think its good to stay away from these ppl in the lead up 2 exams to save the unnecessary stress they cause-its better to go in calm and ready 4 the exam than in a state of irrational panic!

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
im so stressed out :( think about it every assessment counts now
its not like the good old days when u can bludge around

i need some air :(

*ashlea*

HSC
hey, dont worry! it'll all be over in just a few months.. and after the uai and results have been out about 3 days, no one will even ask u how u went in your HSC, it just isnt important.. well, except 4 the uni's, but there's always other ways to get where u wanna b, it might take a few extra years, but its worth it when u r gonna be working for about 50 years! there's still time anyway, yes they all count, but isnt that better than having everything hang on just one exam? that way there are more chances to make up 4 it if u stuff up on a few assessments.. plus, think about it-how many exams have u done in your life? heaps and heaps and heaps.. and of those how many did u screw up? probably not many, and u survived anyway, so u will survive the HSC!

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
scoby_2000 said:
omg do you go to redlands as well?

i swear no one gives a shit at redlands...
lol no, i go to a school on the coast.. so cruisy and lazy!

*ashlea* your right! it is only gunna be over soon. and either way, good or bad results we'll still be alive (well i will be anyway! :uhhuh: )

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
thanks for the advice champ_sammy!
i wish i was as motivated as u
smart characteristics-thats from business-lol
anyway how did u end up doing in the HSC champ_sammy? what r u doing now?
I did ok in the HSC with results ranging from 51-83. (Helped that I did the HSC over 2 yrs) I'm at (BTC= Bathurst Tafe College) doing Welfare/ social work 1st yr. Its alot of work I have 8 assignments and its only 1st semester!!! I'm doing six subject this semester. So in my course I'm learning how to communicate and deal with client probs hence why I set up this thread to give BOS HSC students coping strategies to get through the HSC. Believe me sometimes especially atm being a 1st yr welfare welfare student I struggle to keep motivated.
Atm I also get piles of homework on top of the 8 assignments, I'm on avg getting 4-5 hrs sleep a night. So coffee has become my best friend!! :)

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
*ashlea* said:
yeah great tips champ_sammy! thanx 4 those
i still find the best motivation 4 me is my competitiveness... im ridiculously competitive, even with myself! its stupid, but it does push me to do better so im for it!
but sometimes it is best 2 block out the others, especially at a time like this when exams are upon us, being around stress mongers (im sure we all have at least one person from our class that springs to mind here) just makes u more stressed.. i think its good to stay away from these ppl in the lead up 2 exams to save the unnecessary stress they cause-its better to go in calm and ready 4 the exam than in a state of irrational panic!
It also makes sence to talk to someome like a school counsellor on a reg basis so that you dont have to deal with the stress on your own, if you don't feel confident in talking to a counsellor; it might be an idea to talk to a teacher that you feel comfortable with talking to, I did that and it helped me cope. After all it doesn't hurt to try, remember you do not have to handle this on ur own. :D:)

this_girl

HSC
I'm coping with it all at the moment. My half yearly exams finished yesterday and honestly, I've been fine with it. Yes it was stressing me out, but not to the extent where I would do silly things and lock myself in my room all day and study without food or water. I'm confident that I've started the year off well, hopefully it continues.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
I am coping orite, I don't believe I'm doing the HSC lol but my marks are great, so I don't mind :D I'll prolli do well by the end thanks to all the support from u guys and teachers n friends and relos. Yeah there's pressure but to me it's just another set of exams out of the thousands I've done and I'm gonna do. Cheers :)

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
this_girl said:
I'm coping with it all at the moment. My half yearly exams finished yesterday and honestly, I've been fine with it. Yes it was stressing me out, but not to the extent where I would do silly things and lock myself in my room all day and study without food or water. I'm confident that I've started the year off well, hopefully it continues.
Don't u feel sleepy & unable to concentrate if u dont have food or water? I know that my concentration goes out the window if I dont have food or water

this_girl

HSC
champ_sammy_19 said:
Don't u feel sleepy & unable to concentrate if u dont have food or water? I know that my concentration goes out the window if I dont have food or water
I said I didn't stress myself out to that extent, because I know people who would go by without food or water.

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
i am trying my best not to stress...i am in the middle of my half yearlies now(3/7 to go)
my stress levels seem to shoot through the roof whenever i have exams.

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
champ_sammy_19 said:
It also makes sence to talk to someome like a school counsellor on a reg basis so that you dont have to deal with the stress on your own, if you don't feel confident in talking to a counsellor; it might be an idea to talk to a teacher that you feel comfortable with talking to, I did that and it helped me cope. After all it doesn't hurt to try, remember you do not have to handle this on ur own. :D:)
yeah at our school we can sign up for a mentor, which is a teacher that u meet up with on a regular basis and u can talk about school or anything at all really.. it does help alot - i reccomend it! it keeps u grounded and for me personally, it helped me dismiss all my silly little neurosis's about my ability blah blah n arranged a study timetable etc.. its good aye

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
alissa_xoxo said:
yeah at our school we can sign up for a mentor, which is a teacher that u meet up with on a regular basis and u can talk about school or anything at all really.. it does help alot - i reccomend it! it keeps u grounded and for me personally, it helped me dismiss all my silly little neurosis's about my ability blah blah n arranged a study timetable etc.. its good aye
My School had a similar thing too. It was great!!!:D

illin

Ill factor
HSC
presssure of HSC?
What pressure?

There are always ways of getting to do what u want to do even if you fall short of your target UAI. You may have to go to other Universities and apply for a transfer to the uni of ur choise, pay your way through, go through a different course and transfer to another course, ...

There is sooo much hype about the HSC, getting 99+ UAI, but there is much more to life than just the HSC.
I want to do combined law at uni, preferably at UNSW, however, that requires 99.30 UAI to get in, a bit tough but i may still get there. But if i do not get over that, i can still go to ANU, which is in the top 50 universities in the world, and requires ~95 UAI to get in (lower because there is not as competion and demand for that course in Canberra)

Its a matter of perception. I dont believe that there is as much pressure as everyone thinks

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Our classes have been getting heaps of lectures about focusing and sacrifice etc. 2 of my teachers are doing it, and it really makes you feel like shit. One of them was ranting today about "you shouldnt go away for the holidays, you should be at home..." and so it went on. She is always nagging about the waste of time in our class (by a few boys who never shut up) and then she gets up on her soap box for at least a period...and thats just today.

Its really starting to get to me actually. Its just hard to get motivated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)