• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How long does it take? (1 Viewer)

HSCExposed

HSC
Okay well I started year 11 this year. I also chose that I wanted to move schools because in my current school I do 2U Maths but I wanted to do Ext 1. Also I wanted to do Business Studies and Physics but they were on the same line so I had to choose one or the other. I applied at a local school that is pretty close to my house on Tuesday. I wrote all the subjects that I want to do on the enrollment form and handed it in the same day I got it. They said the deputy would tell me if I'm accepted. I gave in my school reports, birth certificate, etc. The school is local to me but there's a lot of students so depends if there's space. Also when the school calls my current school for reference what do they ask and who do they speak to? Also our teachers at my current school are forcing us to buy our textbooks but I don't want to in case I get accepted at the other school. What should i do? How long does it take for them to make up their decision? My dad's thinking of going to the school on Monday and asking what the status of my enrollment is also have a meeting with the deputy. Is that a good idea? I really want my subjects. How long does it take until the school makes the final decision and calls me? Also my other option is my local high school but that's like a really bad school, they are ranked 500 in the HSC and it's full of gangsters and stuff LOL :p. But I heard the school's getting better so idk. Is it possible to get a good atar in a really crap school?

Thanks GUYS! :D

beaubrah

HSC
Definitely if you preform well, then the school rank means jackshit. Make sure your in the top 5 for roughly everything then you will be fine

HSC 2015- Goal:90+ ATAR

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My school was ranked at around 500 for most of the last 5 years (up into the top 200 in 2013) and we have always had students with ATARs in the 90s. Even the year we dropped into the 600s we still had 4 or 5 students with ATARs in the 90s.

The thing is that the 'rankings' are based on a limited criteria - namely the percentage of Band 6s a school receives but... a school that ranks reasonably highly could be getting the Band 6s in a range of lower scaling subjects while a school could be getting a lot of high 80s in higher scaling subjects resulting in more of the higher ATARs in the lower ranked school.

I have no idea how long the school will take to let you know but it shouldn't be more than a week or so, particularly as we are nearly half way through first term.

HSCExposed

HSC
My school was ranked at around 500 for most of the last 5 years (up into the top 200 in 2013) and we have always had students with ATARs in the 90s. Even the year we dropped into the 600s we still had 4 or 5 students with ATARs in the 90s.

The thing is that the 'rankings' are based on a limited criteria - namely the percentage of Band 6s a school receives but... a school that ranks reasonably highly could be getting the Band 6s in a range of lower scaling subjects while a school could be getting a lot of high 80s in higher scaling subjects resulting in more of the higher ATARs in the lower ranked school.

I have no idea how long the school will take to let you know but it shouldn't be more than a week or so, particularly as we are nearly half way through first term.
Ok thanks bro, you've helped me out a lot! and do you think it's a good idea that my dad goes to the school tomorrow and asks about me if I'm accepted?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you have already been waiting a week or more than yes I would contact the school - phone should be all that is needed - just to follow up and find out where in the process things are up to but if less than a week maybe leave it a few more days yet.

Sm60759

HSC
it is very possible to get above 90s if you do top every subject. However dont expect 99.95

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I am sure regardless of how 'crap' a high school may be-whether your judgment be the school culture or its rankings according to HSC results, there will always be some elements in the school that it is strong at-whether it be a particularly good teacher, a particularly strong extra-curricular program etc... so if you do choose to take on these opportunities, you will definitely benefit from them. You can get a good ATAR in any school if you are really to have some strong self-discipline, work extremely hard and focus on your final goal every single day, and never give up until the last second of the external HSC exams:)-best wishes for your HSC studies:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)