how many hours do you study a day? (2 Viewers)

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I am dead serious, most of my teachers believe in not giving homework, and that we need to develope our own study habbits
If you have been able to develop independent learning skills and the discipline to study on your own without teachers giving you homework - this will serve you very well in uni.

Besides assessments and assignments, I didn't get much homework either and it all came down to whether you personally bother to do the work or not.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I am dead serious, most of my teachers believe in not giving homework, and that we need to develope our own study habbits
My teachers believe in giving heaps of homework because the classroom is for learning and conversation and then you go over everything in more detail at home... well, we're supposed to. :p

jamesfirst

HSC
The only hw I get is basically for math... For physics and chem, the hw consists of drawing some diagrams... So most of the studies are extetnal studies :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
My teachers believe in giving heaps of homework because the classroom is for learning and conversation and then you go over everything in more detail at home... well, we're supposed to. :p
I swear to god, I never did any of my English, Maths and Chemistry homework from school. Physics, I had to, because my teacher checked, and it was part of the assessables. However for Chem, I pretty much did the prac reports (because they were vaguely important), and also, I just learnt the theory from tutor, and accordingly did past papers. English - I never did the bullshit homework that involved: "Here's a list of questions to test your comprehension of Frankenstein" - I just wrote practice essays, and practice creative writing. Maths......yeah, just did past papers the entire year - never really did homework.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
^ Learn from the best, kids. :tongue2:
I feel relieved now, I rarely do school homework for English, Chem or Physics. Though I do the homework for tuition, not to upset the teacher lol.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
0 a day now, holidays :D (for 5 weeks), had 2 weeks off before my last exam too, so 7 weeks in total. I love uni :)

jamesfirst

HSC
Beast mode on this holiday.

Gonna study for like 6-10 hrs a day... literally.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Fuark finished term assessments today.

inb4nostudyforaweek

musing

HSC
^ Learn from the best, kids. :tongue2:
I feel relieved now, I rarely do school homework for English, Chem or Physics. Though I do the homework for tuition, not to upset the teacher lol.
Me too... I don't get why some people place more emphasis on homework over assessments. Homework has never been a top priority for me and it will never be.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I should just add a disclaimer, just because I said that I didn't do the homework, doesn't mean I'm advocating not doing homework. I'm just saying - be smart about what work you're doing. The trick to the HSC isn't the number of hours you put in (although you do need to put in a good portion of hours per day/week to do well), however, it's more studying smart. Know what each subject is about:

English - know that you need to write essays, a creative, and do the reading comprehension thingo (Paper 1, Question 1). Also know that they can trick you a bit by either 1. asking you to write a different text type (dear diary, letter to editor, feature article etc), or 2. Specifying specific texts (ie. For Skryznecki's poems, they might ask you to do 10 Mary Street and one other poem, in which case, if you decided not to focus on 10 Mary Street at all, you're fucked).

Chem + Phys (and I'm guessing Bio): Know the dotpoints, whenever you see a question, know what you're going to write before you put pen to paper - don't use the shotgun approach and verbally spray shit everywhere. Use dotpoints if you want. Once you know your theory, apply it to past paper questions. If you do every single HSC paper properly from 02-10, I guarantee that you will get 85+ for Phys and Chem.

Maths......just do your past papers and learn your theory.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I had a meeting with my principal today and she told me to devote 90mins to each subject a week for study.

derppp

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Chem + Phys (and I'm guessing Bio): Know the dotpoints, whenever you see a question, know what you're going to write before you put pen to paper - don't use the shotgun approach and verbally spray shit everywhere. Use dotpoints if you want. Once you know your theory, apply it to past paper questions. If you do every single HSC paper properly from 02-10, I guarantee that you will get 85+ for Phys and Chem.
Can we use dotpoints to answer questions in chem?!
If we can I am pwning the next exam!
That's what I do in Biology and that's worked well so far :)
I was told not to use dotpoints in Chem.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Dotpoints which are full sentences:

For instance, when I was marking an exam once for Production of Materials, this did not do very well: (+ves/-ves of ethanol)

Ethanol is an ambivalent material yada yada yada

+ renewable
+ burns cleanly
+ greenhouse neutral
- pollution
- fucks with engines
- smelly wastes and large use of lands
Clearly, what I mean by 'dotpoints' is full sentences, but in dotpoint form to make it easier for the marker to discern stuff

– ADVANTAGES of ethanol:
+ It is a renewable resource because of _____
+ It is “greenhouse” neutral; that is, the CO2 absorbed by the crop (e.g. corn) can match by the CO2 produced by combustion (if very efficient).
+ Because ethanol has less carbon than octane (the major component of petrol), as well as the fact it already contains an oxygen atom, it requires less oxygen to completely combust; hence it is a CLEANER and MORE EFFICIENT fuel.
+ Produces only carbon dioxide and water as a by-product (complete combustion)

– DISADVANTAGES of ethanol:
- Engines must be modified to run on fuel containing more than 20% ethanol, as was the case in _____ where they once tried it and failed spectacularly because of ____
- Engines wear down faster due to the need for higher engine compression ratios needed for ethanol combustion because of _____
- Large areas of land are required to grow crops that will be harvested for ethanol production; land that can be used for other purposes.
- Disposal of fermentation wastes presents major environmental issues such as _____ and ____
Clearly, Answer B did a lot better than Answer A, although they pretty much mentioned the same thing.

And also, fuck, it's so easy to forget stuff - I used to know this stuff off the top of my head, now I had to look at notes to remember. It's amazing what happens when you don't look at stuff for 8 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)