How many pages should I write? (1 Viewer)

rr.dun.dun

HSC
tanjin said:
A4 pages :D

I find history essays easy to write as long as you know the content really well.
yeah i agree because you can just keep talking about it.

What topics are you doing?

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
You must have a very nice teacher if you're getting good marks for only writing 2 HSC style pages, there's no way you can fully answer a history question with only that..
I'm wrting about 4-5 a4 pages and only getting low twenties high teens, really need to push it up, but then again my teacher marks harshly, so I think you're going to be in for a slight shock with the HSC results.
But I agree with tanjin, if you know the content you can write for aaages as long as you're still answering the question ;P

I'm doing Germany Leni Reifenstahl and Conflict in the Pacific, and Pacific is a bitch and a half >;( Got Weimar Republic nailed down though.

ANYWAY good luck with HSC fellas, I expect we'll all be gossiping what we wrote about in a few weeks time ;>

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
williamc said:
It might not be marked at HSC standard.

You need to go into depth to get the high range marks, or full marks.

"Cem" a history HSC marker will clarify.

Edit:
Ooops, I just realised that our school "writing booklets" that i have been using have smaller lines than the HSC writing booklets.

So yeah, that sounds about right.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
rr.dun.dun said:
yeah i agree because you can just keep talking about it.

What topics are you doing?
WWI - Like everyone else :D
Russia & the USSR
Trotsky
Cold War :mad1: -- boring as shit.

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
i'm doing Germany, Speer and Indochina. The cold war isn't boring cos we did it in prelim. Although our teacher pretty much just let us watch movies the whole time.

Modern is usually the subject where I wing it so that could be the reason that I'm not writing enough pages. For the trials i studied the night and morning before from the notes i got from resources (BoS saved me) and I got equal third in the exam. Maybe if i knew the content better i could write more. lmao. not happening.

My teacher writes "2 more pages" for almost everyones comment so i was gonna ignore it until all of you said how many pages you guys write! so screwed.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
sammi260 said:
i'm doing Germany, Speer and Indochina. The cold war isn't boring cos we did it in prelim. Although our teacher pretty much just let us watch movies the whole time.
You studied all the HSC content for the Cold War in yr 11 - cause if you have i dont see how you could say its not boring. We haven't watched any films - we've just been analysing the content. From all the topics i've learnt over the two years in modern - Cold war wins for the most boring topic.

I admit that there are some aspects of the Cold War, which are interesting however, overall the topic is quite dry.

Last edited:
HSC
i've used all types of different pages so i cant really pin-point how many pages i write so i go by words. 50 minutes i can write max about 1500 words. ive gotten A range with only 800 word essays which were about 5 hsc pages. its always been quality over quantity.

for your essays in modern, section 2 and 4, i would think 800 words is enough to get near the A range, thats about 800 words in my writing. personality can be about the same as well.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
tanjin said:
You studied all the HSC content for the Cold War in yr 11 - cause if you have i dont see how you could say its not boring. We haven't watched any films - we've just been analysing the content. From all the topics i've learnt over the two years in modern - Cold war wins for the most boring topic.

I admit that there are some aspects of the Cold War, which are interesting however, overall the topic is quite dry.
Industrial revolution this year :sleep:

extraordinary07 said:
i've used all types of different pages so i cant really pin-point how many pages i write so i go by words. 50 minutes i can write max about 1500 words. ive gotten A range with only 800 word essays which were about 5 hsc pages. its always been quality over quantity.

for your essays in modern, section 2 and 4, i would think 800 words is enough to get near the A range, thats about 800 words in my writing. personality can be about the same as well.
800 words is usually 3 pages for me - I write so small compared to others :(

Ademir

HSC
This has got me worried - not so much about the 25 mark essays, but wtf for the personality section? 6 pages for the 15 mark? that's insane.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ademir said:
This has got me worried - not so much about the 25 mark essays, but wtf for the personality section? 6 pages for the 15 mark? that's insane.
Not really when you actually consider my suggestions regarding lengths.

For 25 marks I am suggesting 8 - 10 pages remembering that you only have one introduction and conclusion for that whole essay. The booklets are 8 pages and most students fill one booklet and start a second one here.

With the Personalities I am suggesting in total for 25 marks 10 pages (i.e. the same length as for the 25 mark essays). The best students will use both 4 page booklets and then another one (or two in many cases) in response here.

Remember here that you do need an introduction type paragraph and conclusion in the 15 marks response - you should really consider it as a mini-essay. You will need to build an argument showing two sides for the argument including evidence supporting and opposing you viewpoint.

The 10 mark question requires paragraphs about the relevant points to be discussed - not just a list or series of dates etc.

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
tanjin said:

Yeh i dont know if we covered the whole cold war topic. i think my teacher is one of the conspiracy theorist cos he kept getting us to talk about "who bumped him off?" (in reference to JFK) and that really distracted us from the actual cold war topic.

I think Indochina is the most boring shit I've ever studied but Germany is one of the most interesting. yay

Ademir

HSC
cem said:
Not really when you actually consider my suggestions regarding lengths.

For 25 marks I am suggesting 8 - 10 pages remembering that you only have one introduction and conclusion for that whole essay. The booklets are 8 pages and most students fill one booklet and start a second one here.

With the Personalities I am suggesting in total for 25 marks 10 pages (i.e. the same length as for the 25 mark essays). The best students will use both 4 page booklets and then another one (or two in many cases) in response here.

Remember here that you do need an introduction type paragraph and conclusion in the 15 marks response - you should really consider it as a mini-essay. You will need to build an argument showing two sides for the argument including evidence supporting and opposing you viewpoint.

The 10 mark question requires paragraphs about the relevant points to be discussed - not just a list or series of dates etc.
Nevermind, I just checked the size of the booklets our school's been giving us - they've been telling us it's only slightly bigger than HSC style pages, but it's about 5% smaller than a standard A4 page after me measuring now.

But here, people are saying HSC pages are half the size of an A4, in which case, I'd be fitting those guidelines you told me.

Who's telling the truth? Lol

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
Does anyone know what the actual size of the HSC booklets are? (in centimetres or whatever)

rr.dun.dun

HSC
tanjin said:
WWI - Like everyone else :D
Russia & the USSR
Trotsky
Cold War :mad1: -- boring as shit.
I'd rather have Cold War as one of my topics than Indochina... uhhh I hate it.
:(

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
LOL. NO :mad1:

I think the international peace/conflict topic is a bitch.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Not if you do either Conflict in the Pacific or Europe :D

Kujah

HSC
N/A
How many paragraphs should we put in our body for the National Study topic? :confused: Our teacher wants us to go by 3, but I think that's too little IMO.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Kujah said:
How many paragraphs should we put in our body for the National Study topic? :confused: Our teacher wants us to go by 3, but I think that's too little IMO.

I advice my students to be writing about 7 - 8 paragraphs there making sure that each paragraph relates to a different point/argument and refers back to the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)