• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how many related texts br8s (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
^ That. But in 2009, I think it was, for the belonging question, they specified only one additional. So just be careful of that :)
I'm concentrating on one related text though, so if they ask for one then I'll be glad that they've only asked for one, which means less pressure for me to write, since I won't be writing as much :)

khfreakau

HSC
Our school told us "prepare 2 related texts for belonging and mod c".

Paper 1 asked for one related text only.

Fuckers.

michaeljennings

HSC
Our school told us "prepare 2 related texts for belonging and mod c".

Paper 1 asked for one related text only.

Fuckers.
LOL i completely screwed up and didnt read the thing properly lol so I wrote about 2, only realised and checked the paper as they were collecting our papers

khfreakau

HSC
LOL i completely screwed up and didnt read the thing properly lol so I wrote about 2, only realised and checked the paper as they were collecting our papers
I saw it in reading time and was like WHAT IN FUCK'S NAME IS THIS FUCKERY and ended up making a whole paragraph on the spot. A lot of people didn't see that it asked for two or they simply cut one. I'm expecting the average to be low :S (hoping for it too sigh)

michaeljennings

HSC
I saw it in reading time and was like WHAT IN FUCK'S NAME IS THIS FUCKERY and ended up making a whole paragraph on the spot. A lot of people didn't see that it asked for two or they simply cut one. I'm expecting the average to be low :S (hoping for it too sigh)
hahah yeah me too. I always seem to just completely mess up english lol. For our Mod B assessment last term i completely ignored the question and just wrote out the essay i had memorised lol i have no idea why, i wish i could have a do-over

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually when it says atleast one, I do two.
I am use to structuring the essay like that. lol :)

tambam

HSC
what? if you do two related texts you won't be able to provide an in-depth analysis of the texts. Instead you'll have a shallow representation of what you thought were two awesome related texts.
Conversely, you will notice the modules which require the use of related texts are 'topics', eg. Belonging or History&Memory rather than just critical analysis or comparative study.

So in using more than 1 related text, you can explore the topic from multiple viewpoints to give you greater understanding of say, belonging, which is what will give you the depth in your essay.

If you are good enough at english, you should be able to sufficiently analyse 2 related texts in enough depth. Or if you can write fast, you can get a few hundred words over the average student.

But anyway, its best to have 2 prepared, but know one of them in greater depth than the other.

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC
Conversely, you will notice the modules which require the use of related texts are 'topics', eg. Belonging or History&Memory rather than just critical analysis or comparative study.

So in using more than 1 related text, you can explore the topic from multiple viewpoints to give you greater understanding of say, belonging, which is what will give you the depth in your essay.

If you are good enough at english, you should be able to sufficiently analyse 2 related texts in enough depth. Or if you can write fast, you can get a few hundred words over the average student.

But anyway, its best to have 2 prepared, but know one of them in greater depth than the other.
But to truly show how your text explores the module you must give an indepth analysis of the texts, and you can do that better with the lesser number of texts you use.

enoilgam

HSC
You should always prepare two, but if the paper only asks for one related text, then do one. This is because in that situation, the markers will only award marks for one of your related texts.

Last edited:

tambam

HSC
But to truly show how your text explores the module you must give an indepth analysis of the texts, and you can do that better with the lesser number of texts you use.
That's where it comes down to how good you are at english.
Obviously its better to do one text well, than 2 texts badly.

But hsc has been saying 'at least one' or 'two' for years, and if, i think it was 2 years ago, people got super screwed over when it said JUST one, then it would be safe to say that 2 is the more common and expected option.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
But hsc has been saying 'at least one' or 'two' for years, and if, i think it was 2 years ago, people got super screwed over when it said JUST one, then it would be safe to say that 2 is the more common and expected option.
It's true in past years they have expected more texts. However, this:

or more like, BoS were sick of how shallow the analysis of both the prescribed and related texts have become and figured more quality could be achieved by focusing on a lesser number of texts.
is essentially completely true. You should aim for the minimum number of texts required, and talk about them in depth.

shenglu

HSC
I focus on a related text, but, so, if they ask for one, then I will be very happy, they have only one request, which means less pressure for me to write, because I can not write as much as possible many...

mirakon

nigga
HSC
2 for each. But I suggest 2 short ones i.e. poems/short stories/newspaper opinion articles/films in other words things easier to analyse in a shorter time frame so you can learn them better rather than entire novels or books.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)