How many units do you do? Anyone do 14+? (1 Viewer)

damianI

HSC
Personally i dont think anyone going into year 11 understand this but 10-11 units is more than enough. I started with 13 and it was way too much, dropped biology and then had heaps of time to concentrate on the others

stF-vampyre

HSC
i go to a selective school thats ranked top 20 in the state, and were actually DISCOURAGED from doing more than 10/11 units. 12 is possible, but just look at it this way; everyone argues 12 is good cause you MIGHT choke and mess up in the exam, you still have 10 units of good marks to fall back on

BUT almost everyone i know doing 12 units pretty much found a subject they were totally over in the year, and gave up on it without dropping it- essentially giving them the same amount of work, and time in school without the amazing free periods, for a subject they were PLANNING to do no work for.

dont bother with it. i say 10, which is what i did- but you need BE SURE you like those subjects and your good at them. Why i did maths ill never understand, and i can assure you despite hours and hours of work through the year, it will most definitely be dragging my atar down a fair bit =[
so maybe 11 units is a safe bet, cause then if that one unit subject is a higher mark than the last 2 unit subject, they combine the marks and average it- better for you.

jenga218

HSC
My school tried to convince us to do 12 units. And I almost did. But my dad told me to just do 10, and that it'd be a waste of time to do any more. I am confident in the subjects I am doing (Except maybe Extention English. I love the class but I'm not very good at it), and I don't tend to take pressure very well.

I dropped geography for little reason other than I hated the teacher and had no friends in that class. And I dropped general maths because I figured since I'm nil at maths, that will probably be the one that doesn't counted. It doesn't scale well at all, anyways...

French Extention: Best descision ever! Even if I'm doing it OHS, it is so much more interesting than the continuers course and makes me actually want to do my french work. :p I'm good at french. I'm scoring band 5s without putting in any effort in Continuers, anyways. Helps that I've been speaking fluent french since I was 5...

10 units and happy with it. I have no idea how y'all are doing 14 units! You must be insane!

kazziiee

class of 2010 : )
HSC
my school had a spaz at me when i tried to do fourteen units.
& only agreed to let me do fourteen if i assured them i would drop something when it comes to the HSC.
everyone in my grade did 12 units, a few did 13 & i did 14.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Lol, really?

I used to do 16 units and my school just said, "Oh, okay". Then when I was asked how many units I did and I replied 16, they replied, "Oh, okay" and maybe some would have the occasional "Wow, that's a lot."

Students chucked a fit though.

M@ster P

HSC
11 units is best, you still have to try for every subject because they all count - but you also have 1 unit to fall back on.

10 units - you have no back up

12 units - extra 2units work, 1 subject won't count

14 units - extra 4 units of work, 2 subjects won't count, you must have very good time management

16 units - don't bother

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
11 units is best, you still have to try for every subject because they all count - but you also have 1 unit to fall back on.

10 units - you have no back up

12 units - extra 2units work, 1 subject won't count

14 units - extra 4 units of work, 2 subjects won't count, you must have very good time management

16 units - don't bother
your attempt at a proof falls short of the mark

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
did 14 in year 11. If you are doing an extension you MUST do either 13 or 14 units in my school you may not take an extension unless this is the case. Why my school would do this? So you can drop subjects if you find you dont like them. Because we must so religion (absolutely not choice) if you want to do 1 unit re you end up with 14 units in your prelim year wether you like it or not. I juggled 14 in prelim and thought it wasnt too bad. In year 12 a couple things went wrong outside school so i ended up dropping down to 11 units. I kinda wish i'd kept english extension and done 12 units however it all comes down to your motivation level.

wolfninjakp

HSC
in prelim did 14, then in year 12 dropped chem and picked up ext 2 english and ext 2 math.

im not sure how it will work out, but after first 2 assessment tasks or maybe even before, i should be able to make up my mind which 12 units i wish to do. i think its better to do an extra 2 units, just in case something doesnt go right in the hsc.

kate-2010

HSC
I do 13 units at the moment.

I'll probably drop one subject (so 2 units) sometime next year if I get too stressed.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Twelve atm. Might drop another.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
I would do 10-11 units. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)