How many units for yr 11? (1 Viewer)

Crosswinds

HSC
Well it's not long til a lot of people have to choose subjects for year 11 and i for one am having a hell of a lot of trouble.

There's so much i want to do but it adds up so quickly. I've narrowed it down to 14 units. Is that too much? How many has everyone else done/going to do? How many units can you do without collasping into a quivering heap of failure???

munchiecrunchie

HSC
Re: How many units?

i personally found that 14 units was overload - i couldnt handle it.

13 units is working out fine for me atm, but having said that I do know people who are doing 14 units and are coping well.

My advice would be that if your school allows it, take up 14 units. It'll be alot of work, but that way you can see what subjects you like, whats interesting, what you're good at, etc . . . and then drop down to 12 or 13 units.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Personally, I reckon 11 to 12 units is the best - 11 units moreso. That's just me however...

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad

11 for me, however only 10 will go to my uai because they only go by 2 unit blocks. I believe that having more than 12 can also have its upsides as though you may not experience the pleasures of free periods and may force you to put more effort in, your hard work can pay off.

for one, leading up to the hsc if you feel you cannot cope with the subject you can easily drop it along the way, up to a minimum of having 10 units left.

secondly, the board of studies works like this, say you had 16 units:

subject band
a.history 3
physics 5
adv.eng 6
2u maths 5

biology 4
drama 5
music 5
b.studies 4

the board of studies wouldn't count all ur marks in. they would pick ur best ten units, physics, english, maths, drama and music, then calculate ur uai that way. it would work to your advantage.

the bad side to having 10 units?

subject band
a.history 3
physics 5
adv.eng 6
2u maths 5

biology 4

that ugly band 3 will be counted in. you can weigh the pros and cons. just don't bite off more than u can chew or take to big a risk! this is ur hsc at stake here

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Without Wings said:
You have to complete a minimum of 12 preliminary units to be eligible for the award of the HSC
Yeah my bad, thought it was how many units people were keeping.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Anything > 12 would be too much for me.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Everyone in my grade does 12.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Aerath said:
Everyone in my grade does 12.
You are joking. Someone must be doing 13. Because I don't think everyone is doing Mathematics Extension 1 (even considering that everyone does English Extension 1).

bored of sc

HSC

lyounamu said:
You are joking. Someone must be doing 13. Because I don't think everyone is doing Mathematics Extension 1 (even considering that everyone does English Extension 1).
There's studies of religion 1 unit as well as the 1-unit VET courses (I think).

agua.fuego

HSC
Crosswinds said:
Well it's not long til a lot of people have to choose subjects for year 11 and i for one am having a hell of a lot of trouble.

There's so much i want to do but it adds up so quickly. I've narrowed it down to 14 units. Is that too much? How many has everyone else done/going to do? How many units can you do without collasping into a quivering heap of failure???
I had 12 units, but 2 of those were for Distance-Ed. My workload was pretty easy considering.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

bored of sc said:
There's studies of religion 1 unit as well as the 1-unit VET courses (I think).
But his school doesn't provide SOR I though. Oh yeah, they may provide some 1-Unit VET courses though.

bored of sc

HSC

lyounamu said:
But his school doesn't provide SOR I though. Oh yeah, they may provide some 1-Unit VET courses though.
Oh, okay!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:
No, I wasn't. Everyone does Extension 1 English. About 198/210 of the students do Extension 1 Maths. The 12 that do 2U Maths either do SOR 1 (which, our school does offer, contrary to popular belief - although, it is not compulsory), or Photography or any other 1U courses.

bawd

HSC
Crosswinds said:

I am doing 14 units because the arrangements of the subjects on the lines and timetable were not suited to my preferences, and also because I was a little indecisive and wanted to do a few subjects.

There are advantages to this because I can try out the subjects and drop the ones I am not performing well in or dislike at the start of the HSC course.

However, it is ideal to stick to 12 units only if you cannot handle a lot of homework and assessments.

fayeee

HSC
i'm doing 13!

adv. eng
chem
bio
pdhpe
foodtech
3u maths!

i'm still deciding whether i should drop chemistry or not, but for now i rkn i'll keep everything and if i can't handle it i'll drop it later :]

locked.on

HSC
14 units, majority of Year 11's within the grade do 13 units.

Compulsory to do at least 12 units, and every unit less than 13 units gets you 5 free periods a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)