how much did you write? (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I talked about
Advantages : able to be decentralised from populated cities due to transmission and all, cleaner environment in city and urban areas.
Disadvantage: loss of habitation, clearing of land for ac generator, visual impact on environment,extinction of floraa and faunas, power generated by fossil thus creating co2 for greenhouse effect
Then concluded that it has more negative effect.

Wrote about one page. Think I'll get full marks?
Depends on what they decide the criteria to be, but the question did specify AC so I suspect for full marks you would have to atleast contrast it against DC.

khfreakau

HSC
i wrote 3.5 pages of normal sized writing for AC generators (including the lines given, so filled a booklet minus half a page extra).
for the astro 7 marker i did 5 pages of normal sized writing. (by normal sized i mean 8+ words per line)

taeyang

HSC
I wrote 7 pages with 11 words a line for the quanta to quarks thing.. only cause I finished early; all I did was just spew out the development of like the relavent shit from quanta to quarks.

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
These were most of the points I had:
  • Generators turn mechanical energy into electrical energy
  • Fossil fuels such as coal are often burnt for that
  • Burning of fossil fuels leads to pollution, green house effect etc
  • One of the alternatives, Nuclear power, creates nuclear waste which has a high half life and causes a problem for disposal
  • The nuclear waste is often disposed of by being sealed up in barrels and stored underground which is both unsustainable and an environmental concern
  • The generation of AC over DC means that it can be stepped up with transformers and transmitted with little power loss compared to DC, more efficient transmission means more electricity per emisions so AC is better for the environment then DC.
  • The very nature of AC generators means they are more efficient then DC generators are, therefore once again more electricity per emisions
  • If DC were used there would have to be more generators and they would have to be in all major cities, having a lot more smaller generators instead of a few big ones means that due to economic reasons once again they would be more inefficient and thus create more emisions for same amount of electricity
  • Because of that previous point it wouldn't be possible to use Nuclear and hydro power which are more environmentally friendly compared to burning fossil fuels to the same extent if DC was adopted instead of AC
I also wrote that the increased efficiency of transmission led to lower costs, which would increase our dependance on electricity, leading to more overuse, yada yada negative externality this and that from economics :D

Jaymay

HSC
Yeah the kids in my class 'i wrote four pages for that 6 marker (Med physics)'. Your a dropkick. At the start is says the lines given are enough to answer the question. Instead of waffling on about shit, make it 'logical' and a 'well structured argument' :p

See ^ three comments up here 'I wrote three pages for AC generators'. WHY DOOO TTHHAATTTT.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah the kids in my class 'i wrote four pages for that 6 marker (Med physics)'. Your a dropkick. At the start is says the lines given are enough to answer the question. Instead of waffling on about shit, make it 'logical' and a 'well structured argument' :p

See ^ three comments up here 'I wrote three pages for AC generators'. WHY DOOO TTHHAATTTT.
I agree, i think to get more than 1 page (maybe 2 with big writing) on AC generators you would have had to go into detail with stuff that you didn't really need to elaborate on.

Last edited:

khfreakau

HSC
I agree, i think to get more than 1 page (maybe 2 with big writing) on AC generators you would have had to go into detail with stuff that you didn't really need to elaborate on.
and i pose to you the question, how do you know what you don't really need to elaborate on? it's too difficult to guess marking criteria for 6+ markers, and it's definitely safer to write more.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
and i pose to you the question, how do you know what you don't really need to elaborate on? it's too difficult to guess marking criteria for 6+ markers, and it's definitely safer to write more.
Im just generalising, the question did state environmental though and I wouldn't be surprised if SOME of the people who wrote a lot on the question went off on a tangent about positives for society or elaborated too much on ac generation itself in general.

Actually i suppose if i only filled the lines on the sheet and didn't go over on each of them, spent a few more mins on it i probably would have been able to atleast fill another page in a booklet but i really dont understand how people wrote more then around 3 pages when it is supposed to be possible to get full marks with the given space.

Last edited:

CalSandercock

HSC
I've heard from the markers that they hate it when people just spew information instead of writing a well-structured argument. Believe it or not like English, sophistication of answers which also relates how succinct you are, plays a major role into how a marker recieves your answer and therefore marks. I mean if all your info is relevant than sure whatever, but otherwise it seems incongruous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)