How much does biz get scaled down?? (1 Viewer)

M@C D@DDY

HSC
i'm jus finkin abt the scalin can any1 tell me how much biz getz scaled down and lyk is it hard to get band 6

ae

HSC
from a statistical point of view,

8 percent get Band 6 in 2002 with candicates of around 17000.
ie. around 1360 get Band 6

In 2002,
HSC mark: 85
Scaled mark: 69.6
HSC mark: 90
Scaled mark: 78.6
HSC mark: 95 (99th percentile)
Scaled mark: 90.4

harsh reality.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
scaling sheet:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php

past threads:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8524

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14488

to answer ur question:

biz scales down a bit.. if u look at the first link..given that 25 is median (ie: no scaling up or down, hence anything below 25 is called *scaled down*).....biz from my memory is soemthing lyk 24.something. hece its scaled down a bit.

having said that, it is not hard at all to get a band 6, make sure u emmorise all ur terminologies, make notes accoridng to the syllabus, practice a couple of reports and know at least 1 solid case study, then u should be fine. there is a lot of content in biz, but its not a hard subject, hence getting band 6 is not a problem for a keen student.

Last edited:

M@C D@DDY

HSC
so if dat mani get band 6 y does every1 say dat it scales shitter den maths 2u?? and dat band 6 is dat the scaled mark lyk da one dat UAC use to calculate UAI??

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
If you get a band 6 in business studies, the scalings are quite reasonable...

StJoeysGal

bus dosent get scaled down at all, idiots it stays exactly as it is its a average subject and scaling changes yr to yr..
subjects like retail operations go down by no more than 10 n subjuects like economics go up by no more than 10

no subjects get scaled anymore than 10 marks either side unless the results were really poor then they might get pulled up more but they wont go down anymore than 10.

AGB

HSC
stjoeysgal, you hav absolutely no idea what you are talking about and you have just demonstrated how very little you know about this subject. firstly, it is completely ignorant and uninformed to say that the marks received in subjects do not change, as per UAC scaling, by more than 10 either positively or negatively. the significance of scaling depends on the actual hsc mark received i.e. a mark of 95 in business studies would get scaled up, whereas a mark of 60 would get scaled down severely (by much more than 10 marks, for your information).

whilst we are unable to find out the precise UAC scaling for every subject each year, most schools with departments that focus on academic development/technical points in the hsc etc are able to determine the approximate scaling. i was given, from my school, the approximate scaling for business studies a while ago (i have just done the hsc for the subject), and believe it or not, stjoeysgal, the scaling was significantly larger than the '10 mark' barrier you were talking about in your post for marks below approx 85, where marks were scaled down harshly

please have at least some knowledge of what you are talking about before you make comments...

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
i expect to take a hit in my scaled marks
but...90 to 78.6? damnit thats harsh

ae

HSC
cause so many newbies do it ;)

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
hahah yep
im a bogan
too bad
all your scaled marks are belong to us

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hmph

As someone said above, get a band 6, dont need to worry. Anyway, macdaddy, top 1/3 get band 6 at our school, so make sure you stay 8th or above, and you'll get there.

SMKOD

HSC
N/A
I sat my HSC in 2002 and business studies was one of my subjects and all two units were counted in my UAI.

I went thru year 11 and 12 with everyone saynig that BS has bad scaling and that it will kill my HSC. But I think people place too much emphasis the scaling.

I got 89 in Business Studies as my final mark. Put with an 89 in eco, a 91 in legal (another subject i was told that has poor scaling) and 82 in english, a 42 in ext english and a 80 in 2U maths (only one unit counted) got a UAI of 93.85. Basicly my point is that a UAI in the 80s and 90s is still possible, and quite easy, with BS. One friend of mine came out with a UAI of 99.5 and did BS.

Don't bother worying about UAI. You'd be surpirsed how little subject choise has to do with your UAI. Like i don't mean Industrial Technology, VET subjects etc. But if you have reasonably good subjects, concentrate more on your assessment ranks than subjects. Go well in them and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
yeah go BS
maybe scaling was good this year or something

santaslayer

HSC
biz is good if ur in the top 5% of the state..anything less and u can flush ur head down the toilet

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
why the hell does it matter? You learn your shit, do your best. If you know your stuff in business, you'll get band 6. If you know your stuff in any other subject, you'll also get band 6. Difference? Business Studies is all memorisation, and fairly easy (in comparison to subjects like Economics and Maths etc). 20000 (approx) do Business studies, 1360 get band 6 (approx). In case you haven't realised, most of the people who do business studies do it cause its reputed to be easy. They want to bludge their HSC. Most public school students don't study until a few months, if not weeks, before the HSC exam.

So for heavens sake, stuff scaling. It won't affect the more mature students. There is no need to worry, concentrate on study'ing.

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by *girl04*
im worried about bs coz i wanna get a 100 and ppl sayit wont get me there
well if you are going for 100, you would have to be aiming for marks of 96+ in all of your subjects (on average), and once you get in that range for business the scaling is pretty much irrelevant....if it is any help:

Biz: HSC 96, scaled 93.5 (approx)
Eco: HSC 95, scaled 93 (approx)

It is most definitely possible to get a 100 uai with a 95 in economics...2 ppl in 2002 got 100 with a 94 in eco, so if you can get 96+ for business then you can definitely get a uai of 100 :) (given that 96 in biz beats 95 in eco)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)