How much does standard english limit atar (1 Viewer)

EazyEEE

HSC
Hey everyone

Does anyone know how much standard english will limit atar? I am very bad at english, especially with vocabs. I should be a ESL student, but the teachers put in into advanced english in yr 11 which i dropped out into standard, because i dont qualify for ESL anymore.

Say, I'm aiming for 90+ with maths ext1, (maybe ext2), economics, biolog and chem in a non-selective school. And of course english standard, which i got 10/15 for the belonging speech==

assume i score above 80 for all the subjects except english?

Thanks in advance

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
No subject will really 'limit' your ATAR.

But I admit, standard english scales pretty crap.

michaeljennings

HSC
Hey everyone

Does anyone know how much standard english will limit atar? I am very bad at english, especially with vocabs. I should be a ESL student, but the teachers put in into advanced english in yr 11 which i dropped out into standard, because i dont qualify for ESL anymore.

Say, I'm aiming for 90+ with maths ext1, (maybe ext2), economics, biolog and chem in a non-selective school. And of course english standard, which i got 10/15 for the belonging speech==

Thanks in advance
cant remember exactly but i think someone on this forum mentioned in another thread they got 99+ with standard english

SanjoyM

HSC
If I was you, I would choose Advanced English! Std Eng only scales lower solely due to the fact that Standard will be compared with Advanced to determine Paper 1 marks! Paper1 is 40% and paper 2 60%

M

MichelleV

You can still get a high atar with standard. You just need to work hard to make sure you do well.

My english mark was appalling compared to all my internals. It's very obvious that english caused my atar to be as low as it was.

That being said, I did the best I could in the exams, but I knew it wasn't my best. If you know your texts well, know your arguments and do you best, nothing can stop you from getting 99+.

EazyEEE

HSC
If I was you, I would choose Advanced English! Std Eng only scales lower solely due to the fact that Standard will be compared with Advanced to determine Paper 1 marks! Paper1 is 40% and paper 2 60%
ohh right, for some reason our standard results for area of study belonging smashed the advanced students overall (internal), does that help then? i mean in the final exam we might do better in this area comparing to them as well.

EazyEEE

HSC
You can still get a high atar with standard. You just need to work hard to make sure you do well.

My english mark was appalling compared to all my internals. It's very obvious that english caused my atar to be as low as it was.

That being said, I did the best I could in the exams, but I knew it wasn't my best. If you know your texts well, know your arguments and do you best, nothing can stop you from getting 99+.
damnn, that sucks right? shit screw english honestly....

hey but if u did standard, mind saying ur mark?=D

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Well, if you smash all the advanced students in Paper 1, then there is nothing really stopping you from doing well in Paper 2 and getting a high ATAR overall.

Standard does scale badly, but if you do well in your other subjects, then there is nothing limiting your ATAR.

I got State rank in Standard English and I got an ATAR above 99

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
It doesn't scale badly, it only aligns bad. It's scaling is similar to advanced.

And also, it'll only limit your atar as much as you let it. Why can't you do esl though? A friend of mines dropped out of adv into esl when year 12 came.

Aysce

HSC
Well, if you smash all the advanced students in Paper 1, then there is nothing really stopping you from doing well in Paper 2 and getting a high ATAR overall.

Standard does scale badly, but if you do well in your other subjects, then there is nothing limiting your ATAR.

I got State rank in Standard English and I got an ATAR above 99
You are my idol... How much work did it take for band 6 in standard? I'm aiming for band 6 in standard and need to know roughly how much it takes.

enoilgam

HSC
Hey everyone

Thanks in advance
There is no real limit, its just that standards aligning is shocking (remember, standard scales the same as advanced or close to it). Your way better off with advanced. However, in saying that, some people do well with standard, but they are really in a small minority.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
It doesn't scale badly, it only aligns bad. It's scaling is similar to advanced.

And also, it'll only limit your atar as much as you let it. Why can't you do esl though? A friend of mines dropped out of adv into esl when year 12 came.
This.

EazyEEE

HSC
okay thanks a lot, im going to get this shit haha!

btw i cant do esl because i dont qualify anymore, the feb this yr i would have been in australia for more than 5 yrs so.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 89 for standard english. I was pretty pissed not getting band 6 considering the work load I put in during the hsc, but anyways i'm highly satisfied. Paper 1 screwed me horribly but modules I got close to 100%.

Does not limit your atar although if you want to do well, you have to put more effort in than Advanced English kids. Standard has less than 1% of students who get band 6 so yeah, the difficulty is evident.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
You are my idol... How much work did it take for band 6 in standard? I'm aiming for band 6 in standard and need to know roughly how much it takes.
Hi :D I see you're aiming for Band 6 too
okay firstly, to get Band 6 in Standard English, you need to make sure you thrash Paper 1. Because of the nature of the English advanced course, Advanced students are better at critical analysis and will thus do better in Paper 1. So:
1. Comprehension section: Do past papers! Do lots of comprehension questions in Paper 1 of AOS and hand them to your teacher to mark. Repeat. Pay attention to what the question is asking (How? What? Why) and always mention techniques no matter what the question is. The last question is usually one that requires you to critically analyse and compare all the texts given to you. This is where most Standard students fail at so you should do plently of practice here.
2. Creative Writing: Write a few short stories and hand them into your teacher. Remember it is about HOW you write your story not WHAT you are saying. Your idea can be brilliant but if it doesn't create the atmosphere your marker wants, then you're stuffed. DO NOT write about RACISM, BULLYING, ETC
3. Extended response: For this part, I wrote an essay and memorised it. The important thing here is to know all your texts. I may have memorised an essay but I knew my texts enough to be able to write a whole new essay out when my memorised essay didn't fit the essay question.

For the modules, ensure you select the appropriate related texts to your theme. The key to English is to keep practising. So you should keep writing essays and hand them into DIFFERENT PEOPLE to mark and ask for feedback. If you hand Essay 1 to your teacher which gets a 9/15, refine it and hand it in again. Repeat again and again until you reach the desired mark.

Just to let you know, I started off getting marks like 6/15 but I kept refining my essays, handing them into the teacher, again and again until I ended up with 15/15 in the trial.

Good luck!

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Less than 1% of the candidates get a band 6. I think around 9% get a band 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)