How much does the major work contribute to the final HSC mark? (1 Viewer)

loosy

HSC
Does the major work just affect your ranking in class like any other assessment task or is the mark you get taken and put in the final HSC mark.
so the final HSC mark is the mark you get from the two essays you write then changed due to your ranking?
I know it's confusing but I tried to explain my question as best as I can.
Thanks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Does the major work just affect your ranking in class like any other assessment task or is the mark you get taken and put in the final HSC mark.
so the final HSC mark is the mark you get from the two essays you write then changed due to your ranking?
I know it's confusing but I tried to explain my question as best as I can.
Thanks.

According to the syllabus the major work (not just the essay, but the proposal, synopsis and annotated bibliography) all account for 80% of the school's assessment marks.

The rest of the assessment marks are to come from exam type questions.

These marks are then calculated according to the school's assessment (which should be following the syllabus - which unlike other courses does give the breakdown for each component) to a mark /50.

This mark then determines your ranking and is sent to the BOS in the same way as any other assessment task.

You then do the exam and aligning, moderation etc take place and you receive the marks in the same way as you do for other subjects:

Moderated assessment mark, aligned HSC mark = final HSC mark.

Short answer - yes the major work counts and all up it should be 40% of the final HSC mark.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/historyext_syl.doc

p.32 spells it out.

Last edited:

live.fast

HSC
N/A
According to the syllabus the major work (not just the essay, but the proposal, synopsis and annotated bibliography) all account for 80% of the school's assessment marks.

The rest of the assessment marks are to come from exam type questions.

These marks are then calculated according to the school's assessment (which should be following the syllabus - which unlike other courses does give the breakdown for each component) to a mark /50.

This mark then determines your ranking and is sent to the BOS in the same way as any other assessment task.

You then do the exam and aligning, moderation etc take place and you receive the marks in the same way as you do for other subjects:

Moderated assessment mark, aligned HSC mark = final HSC mark.

Short answer - yes the major work counts and all up it should be 40% of the final HSC mark.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/historyext_syl.doc

p.32 spells it out.
Exactly what I would have said.

Remember, when completing internal assessments, rank is the key focus. Every mark you lose in the major project counts towards a greater loss in rank than marks lost in the internal exams that your teacher will issue. So the major project is ideally the best place from which to bump up your ranks! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)