• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much holiday study? (1 Viewer)

Bumbletiger

HSC
So, the holidays are soon ending, continuing onto year 12 and in this time I've covered abit of ground. I pretty much understand everything for the first topic of ecomomics and have covered around ¾ of the legal studies topic, crime. I've got notes prepared for SOR2 and have been consolidating my understanding for maths, having covered everything that was taught in the first term. The thing is, I don't know how much I should be doing, as it feels like i've done quite abit yet the time i have available should be spent studying. I've committed quite a few hours in the past couple of weeks (a couple of hours weekly to be honest, which isn't that much at all) however I don't really feel like killing myself is completely necessary. Btw, next week from mon-fri I have a leadership camp, so that rules out anytime for studying, although I probably will bring afew of my exercise books.
Btw, the subject I'm doing are:
Economics
Legal Studies
English Advanced
English Extension I
Mathematics (Adv)
SOR2

Also, may I just add..I really want to obtain a high atar and the school I currently attend isn't too highly ranked at all and I don't think my cohort can assist me in my pursuit lol..honestly speaking..btw I'm school captain, so perhaps that may help with bonus points?

Last edited:

Iwillget9995

HSC
Currently done approximately 300 hours of study these holidays. Almost finished the entire Extension 2 Mathematics course, finished the Economics course, finished next term's worth of English + History.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Currently done approximately 300 hours of study these holidays. Almost finished the entire Extension 2 Mathematics course, finished the Economics course, finished next term's worth of English + History.
wot.

Meromaths

HSC
Term ahead in two of my subjects - summaries wise - and finished my summaries for the entire year in another subject. Been neglecting Advanced English though (fuck dat shieet)

timeflies

HSC
Not sure if srs.. wow

the 0ne

HSC
lol 300 hours that's approx 10 hours of study a day no procrastination okay.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I think you can't compare your progress to the progress to others because it's more achieving personal bests and marking off your own milestones. As long as you feel as though you're making great strides with your progress and it's something you're proud of, keep going at it. There's no really wrong or right amount of study you should or must be doing for your subs. You've made really great progress so far. Just continue at your own pace and all the best :)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
I haven't studied much, and have definitely not followed my holiday schedule. :bomb:

enoilgam

HSC
I think you can't compare your progress to the progress to others because it's more achieving personal bests and marking off your own milestones. As long as you feel as though you're making great strides with your progress and it's something you're proud of, keep going at it. There's no really wrong or right amount of study you should or must be doing for your subs. You've made really great progress so far. Just continue at your own pace and all the best :)
This pretty much. You've got to go at your own pace and follow the strategy which works best for you - some people use these holidays to do a tonne of work, whilst others take it easy. For me personally, I didnt really feel it was necessary to do a lot of work outside of revision for Maths and reading over my texts for English. I felt that work for my other subjects would have been largely a waste, so I decided to rest up so that I'd be better conditioned around trial/HSC time. That strategy work great for me, but for others it might not.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like you are working hard and will be on track to a good score.

Don't fret on your school rank too btw, it's stress over something you can't change in yr 12 (like scaling once you are actually locked into your subs), you have to focus your efforts on the work. There's numerous examples of BoSers that went to rank 300+ schools pulling the marks in the end.

So the answer of how much to study, should be tied to yourself and not to others.
What is my goal score? How much commitment do I need to get there?
Is my current study time optimised? How is my understanding? Can I perform to the exam expected level?
(Throughout the year): Am I hitting the marks I need in assessment tasks? If I am disappointed in my marks, was it a lack of sheer time effort, or not focusing on the right area?
Am I burning out? Is my mind too mushy to take stuff in? Do I need a break?

These Qs are examples of what you constantly self check with yourself to hit the right study balance.

Also, taking time off to do the leadership camp isn't bad as those EC type stuff can help with uni flexi entry and stuff. As well as general life enrichment. The 5 weeks I took in my HSC year were pretty invaluable to me, and I'd say they really didn't hurt my marks persay as a lot of people would fear they would.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)