How much hours are you studying a day? (1 Viewer)

premskies

HSC
Write your own.

But don't put too much effort into making them nice etc or else you will end up getting lazy and just using other people's notes.
But at the same time ensure you create them attractive enough to make you want to pick them up multiple times to read. Good way of doing this is by using diagrams and colour. Simple but effective.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Thank you! Just checking because a few friends told me just to use other people's notes because I should focus on memorising rather than writing notes.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thank you! Just checking because a few friends told me just to use other people's notes because I should focus on memorising rather than writing notes.
Really, there should be NO memorising full stop.

Memorising can get you far, understanding will get you further.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Half Yearlies in 3 weeks, during these holidays should 5 hours be suffice? Or should I be spending more time since it's holidays.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Really, there should be NO memorising full stop.

Memorising can get you far, understanding will get you further.
That is such a great tip, thank you! I will consider that when I am studying from now on :)

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Half Yearlies in 3 weeks, during these holidays should 5 hours be suffice? Or should I be spending more time since it's holidays.
The answer you know that's coming, it depends.

If you're studying 5 hours with facebook and distractions etc... then no it's not enough. If you're studying five hours with no distractions, that's way more than enough.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Is it better to use notes made by other students or write my own?
I know people have answered this already but I hope I can elaborate and extend upon why I think it is better to use notes made by yourself.

I'm sure carrotsticks would agree with this as I recall him talking with me briefly about it at Paramatta. People who achieve high standard marks such as 99+ in their HSCs go into their courses in university and many fail to work and achieve at a high level. Obviously, it's quite evident that something has gone wrong with their performance. What is it? This issue of dependence is the answer.

People who use notes become reliant and completely dependent on their friends or tutors providing the answers for everything that it becomes ridiculous. By that, I mean asking for a tutor to write a resume for you. If those are the tutor's words, you're not exactly communicating directly to the employer but rather, your tutor is. When I provide this example, it's to tell you that you should write your own notes. Because by doing so, it's beneficial in helping you becoming independent.

Our parents are key figures in our lives from the period of when we're born to 18 years of age. By 18, they relinquish most of their control over you and expect you to think for yourself. This is the big picture. One day, our parents will inevitably come to a point where they need help from YOU as they age. You can't expect your mother to cook and drive for you whenever you need to travel somewhere. You can't expect your father to provide unlimited funding because he did so when you were 8 years old as you asked for this toy. Clearly, this is far off into the future, but I just want to clarify with you that by writing your own notes, you gain independence. You can't buy independence. You can only earn it.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
if you can't make your own notes lol good luck at uni

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I know people have answered this already but I hope I can elaborate and extend upon why I think it is better to use notes made by yourself.

I'm sure carrotsticks would agree with this as I recall him talking with me briefly about it at Paramatta. People who achieve high standard marks such as 99+ in their HSCs go into their courses in university and many fail to work and achieve at a high level. Obviously, it's quite evident that something has gone wrong with their performance. What is it? This issue of dependence is the answer.

People who use notes become reliant and completely dependent on their friends or tutors providing the answers for everything that it becomes ridiculous. By that, I mean asking for a tutor to write a resume for you. If those are the tutor's words, you're not exactly communicating directly to the employer but rather, your tutor is. When I provide this example, it's to tell you that you should write your own notes. Because by doing so, it's beneficial in helping you becoming independent.

Our parents are key figures in our lives from the period of when we're born to 18 years of age. By 18, they relinquish most of their control over you and expect you to think for yourself. This is the big picture. One day, our parents will inevitably come to a point where they need help from YOU as they age. You can't expect your mother to cook and drive for you whenever you need to travel somewhere. You can't expect your father to provide unlimited funding because he did so when you were 8 years old as you asked for this toy. Clearly, this is far off into the future, but I just want to clarify with you that by writing your own notes, you gain independence. You can't buy independence. You can only earn it.
Thank you Demento1, that was so helpful! :)

I've been writing my own notes all year, it wasn't until a few weeks ago that my friends asked me why I wrote my own notes instead of getting it online or getting it off someone else.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
if you can't make your own notes lol good luck at uni
I'm able to write my own notes! But I agree, it would be extremely difficult at uni if a person could not write their own notes!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

To put this into one sentence:
'You can't rote-learn life'

It's sad but true.

Thank you Demento1, that was so helpful! :)

I've been writing my own notes all year, it wasn't until a few weeks ago that my friends asked me why I wrote my own notes instead of getting it online or getting it off someone else.
There's nothing wrong with having others' notes for reference or to help improve the quality of your own notes.

SunnyScience

HSC
@RivalryofTroll Gratz on Making 1,000 posts.

I often use several peoples notes + textbooks + my own notes I have taken during class in making my overall study notes. No-one is asking for an original thesis on the meaning of an ecosystem here, it's about being able to access, interpret and communicate the information independently.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I often use several peoples notes + textbooks + my own notes I have taken during class in making my overall study notes. No-one is asking for an original thesis on the meaning of an ecosystem here, it's about being able to access, interpret and communicate the information independently.
Fanks very much.
But yes, like SunnyScience said, being able to access and interpret independently researched info is the key.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

And congrats to you on almost getting 200 posts! :)

bladeys

HSC
N/A
I studied one hour every day after coming home from school and achieved an ATAR of 99.60

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)