How much sleep do we need? (1 Viewer)

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
I find that I need a minimum of eight hours of sleep, whether thats just through habit, or "following the recommended amount" Im not entirely sure, but if I were to sit there and think about the time I go to sleep, and the time in which I wake up, its fairly consistent with eight hours.

In the same way, too little sleep results in me somehow managing to find myself catching up with it either that day, the next day, or later that week - and too much sleep will just result in me being drowsy and unmotivated for that entire day - not cool when at school.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
I never knew that, im gonna try it right now with Continental Chicken Noodle Soup thats been in the cupboard for ages, havnt had soup for like 2 years...
NO! Not those powder mixtures. I meant Chicken Soup as in Chicken boiled in water with flavouring. I think it'll help for ~1hour, it doesnt last long. A perfect pre-exam drink.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Teenagers are SUPPOSED to have at least 9 hours of sleep a day on average...

llamaben

HSC
I usually sleep from 11:00 to 7:50 or so 4 days a week, on Thursday I go to bed at 1 (unless I'm tired), while on weekends it varies.

jiminymacca

HSC
I usually hit the sack at about 12-12:30, wake most mornings at 7, some mornings at 6. I can generally last about 3 months on 4 hours a night.

Best way to get little sleep and not be tired?

Make it a habit. First month you'll be shitting at how tired you are, from then on, its just bodily routine.

Lucifer8745

HSC
Just curious... I'm sleeping from like 930 - 10pm...
just wondering what's the best way to be able to stay up later (till midnightish) and not be tired in the morning so i can work well at school...

Any advice?
Well, i go to sleep around midnight-1 pm and get up at 6:30 am and by the time i get to period i at 8:30 i am tottally awake...the only problem with this is that it is sometimes hard to get up

sharmout

HSC
i go sleep every night from around 11.30ish to 12.30ish and wake up at 6.50

for me im coping but i dont advise people to try it, after a while it gets to u

rachierach

HSC
It's too hard to fall asleep...
I think way too much...
The thoughts just keep spinning around and around in my head.
It's like a fricken rollercoaster!!

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
We need 3 hours of sleep a day. But thats the good, deep, kind of sleep. In order to achieve that we need 9 hours of sleep in a row.
However, when i say need, i really mean should have. You can sleep for 7.5 hours and be fine, with no repercussions. When you cut that to 6 generally you will oversleep the next night.
How active you are through the day is a strong factor of how much you need.
I once didn't sleep three nights in a row, through the use of energy drinks. That last day was hard, slept for 4 hours through the day. slept in an extra 3 hours that next morning. So that worked out well- gained an extra 15 or so waking hours.

k2nv

HSC
Once I get home from school, I nap from 5-7pm cus thats the highest chance of me bludging off if i attempt to study, what with all those good tv shows on and everyone is online. So yeah, they moment I wake up - I start studying until about 12 then snooze off.

red-butterfly

HSC
i can go with about...4 hrs to keep functioning

isnt the recommended hours of sleep is about 8 hrs?

simsimsimsimsim

HSC
you need to work out whats best for you.. there's no set time. its generally supposed to be 8 hours for teenagers so they can think properly at school and everything... but i generally get 6 hours.. i sleep at 12 and get up at 6.

try sleeping when u come home... even if u sleep for ann hour you'll maximise your ability to retain information both at school and at home... and make sure u have a break every 2 hours. it'll help ur concentration and wont make u fall asleep...

and also, try drinking lots of water... like just keep a bottle of water on your desk while your studying.. keeps your brain awake..

jess.ford

HSC
One of my teachers told me you only need 4 hrs of sleep to function properly the next day...

But i average around 6hrs... 1am to 7am is my sleeping time

I think your teacher is wrong I spoke to my doctor about this and he said that teenagers need 9.5 hours sleep because we are still growing and our bodies need to repair. also you need to be in a deep sleep for atleast 6 hours for our brains to convert short term memories into long term memories. I am now sleeping for 9 hours a night and being totally serious I can rememeber more of my notes and I have been able to reduce my studying term coz I'm not going over notes all the time.

Mainoyi

HSC
get a nap after come home for like 1 or 2 hrs..
ok...sometimes more than that coz when im really tired.
n then start workin until 2 or 3......
i hate this tho~

HSC
N/A
Just curious... I'm sleeping from like 930 - 10pm...
just wondering what's the best way to be able to stay up later (till midnightish) and not be tired in the morning so i can work well at school...

Any advice?
People, that's what works for me, for better, for worse.
Unless you're a freak and need no sleep, you should get enough (by your standards) sleep; no one can truly pinpoint what's a healthy amount, but too little and too much can be detrimental to your physical and mental health. There's an evolutionary advantage of sleep, you know, and there's a good reason people tend to get biologically fucked-up without 'enough'.
Purely from a biochemistry point of view, you should sleep between 10pm to 2am. Modafinil is a drug [I've read about in journals] that allows you to live on, [like], only four hours, but [I believe] it's prescription-only, and it [totally] messes with your body's chemistry, in addition to causing tremendous amounts of hepatic damage.
Try caffeine.

BLAHBLAHBLAH about neurological argument for why you ought to sleep, and for about 8hrs.

Bek93

HSC
I sleep from around 10.30pm to 6.45am
So thats just over 8 hours, but 10.30 is when i turn the tv and lights off and then i probably take up to half an hour to fall asleep.

Anyways, that works fine for me :)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
6-8 hours is good for me. Always varies. I do a constant 3 hours of study per night; no more, sometimes less. To stay awake when sleepy and studying, I usually just snack, drink water or jam a pen through my hand. The last one is just a last resort kind of thing though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)