How much study should you do a day? (1 Viewer)

rsagar

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd reckon do your all your homework in like 2 hrs and then take 1 hr or less (same amount of time as one period at school) each subject in one day just reading over class notes and/or making your own notes throughout the year so when exams come... your not stressed in making notes. This helps me heaps... :read:

HSC
I do enough so that my conscience doesn't have to suffer the night.

lukasheights

HSC
Re: For Year 12...

I reckon a good amount is 4-5 hours a day throughout the whole hsc.
It differs from person to person. I'd say you should do at least 1 hour a day until Term 2. Gradually increase your study time, because of the more and more content you'll have to revise. With that said, get your notes prepared earlier rather than later. And also, it goes without saying...

Some people just need more hours of study and revision as opposed to others. Determine how much you think you'll need. (Y)
Good luck.

lukasheights

HSC
The best way is to concentrate in class, get all the information during class time, try to understand it in class time as well. Then when you go home you don't need to study that much. It worked for me in legal studies - for the trial I spent 0 hours of study and I still ended up with 75%, but if I put 3-4 hours of work I would've easily got 90 =_=
Apparently Legal Studies isn't too hard of a subject, so I hear? So regretting not having picked it.

enoilgam

HSC
Apparently Legal Studies isn't too hard of a subject, so I hear? So regretting not having picked it.
Compared to other subjects, legal isnt that hard. Although for my personally, I still needed to put in effort to get a band 6 - but not as much as I needed to put in for modern or 2U.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Why would you do homework? It's not like teachers check it.

Last edited:

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
I was once told be my NSG friend that you should do an hour per subject per day if you want a 90+... I laughed whilst I died inside. It meant that I had to do 8 hours a day since I did 8 subjects...

Obviously I didn't do it and now I'm only expecting 91-93, whilst she (who stuck to this ideal) is expecting 98+. So I don't know.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I was once told be my NSG friend that you should do an hour per subject per day if you want a 90+... I laughed whilst I died inside. It meant that I had to do 8 hours a day since I did 8 subjects...

Obviously I didn't do it and now I'm only expecting 91-93, whilst she (who stuck to this ideal) is expecting 98+. So I don't know.
I got 99+, and I can tell you, I didn't do an hour per subject per day.

Why would you do homework? It's not like teachers check it.
I only ever did homework in Year 12 that was checked on a regular basis. I know in Physics, Kay liked to check dotpoints, so Physics was really the only homework I did consistently. And it ended up being my worst subject.....

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I got 99+, and I can tell you, I didn't do an hour per subject per day.

I only ever did homework in Year 12 that was checked on a regular basis. I know in Physics, Kay liked to check dotpoints, so Physics was really the only homework I did consistently. And it ended up being my worst subject.....
But you're smart. :p

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: For Year 12...

It differs from person to person. I'd say you should do at least 1 hour a day until Term 2. Gradually increase your study time, because of the more and more content you'll have to revise. With that said, get your notes prepared earlier rather than later. And also, it goes without saying...

Some people just need more hours of study and revision as opposed to others. Determine how much you think you'll need. (Y)
Good luck.
Yes :) it varies person by person.

For me 4-5 hrs is necessary as my productivity and efficiency is not as good as most people, importantly for maths I would need a few hrs per day since im soo bad :(..

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't say I'm smart. I think I work hard, though.

When I don't work hard, my marks go down...significantly (a la university).
No offence btw.. respect for 99!!!!!!! But,I don't see how you worked hard o_O?? considering all you did was homework and minimal studying at home.. you must of had some really good studying techniques some how o_O

but i believe you're more likely 'naturally' smart hahahah :)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard a story about a kid from Ruse who was sure fire for .95, but after the trials he became addicted to Kingdom Hearts and did no study for two months. He 'only' ended up with 99.80. Pretty sure the story is bull, but if it's true...

AbaKaan

HSC
Daily Study Routine/ Hours to Study?

Hi. I was just wondering like once people get home (anywhere between 3-6pm) whats a good routine (ie- to balance relax, procrastinate, study etc) to follow or good goal to set for hours of study, etc? for Year 12?
Also I'm really bad at time management/ procrastinating too much :chainsaw:

Any tips on fixing that much appreciated :p

Last edited:

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Daily Study Routine/ Hours to Study?

Hi. I was just wondering like once people get home (anywhere between 3-6pm) whats a good routine (ie- to balance relax, procrastinate, study etc) to follow or good goal to set for hours of study, etc? for Year 12?
Also I'm really bad at time management/ procrastinating too much :chainsaw:

Any tips on fixing that much appreciated :p
1st tip, there is no such amount of hours of study o_O...... (depends per person, your tactics and how efficient you are). JUST study efficiently and from day one of yr 12 , start studying a good amount everyday. Plan yourself well :)

For instance, im not efficient so i have to study atleast 4-5 hrs a day at minimum o_O.. However this is what i do:

3.00pm i arrive home, i plan out my routines (I make a timetable everyday as my situation changes everyday). I look at my notes from school and then plan out what im going to do.

by 3.30 I'll start resting probably till 5 or maybe 6.

Then i'll have dinner around 6.30ish-7.00

7.00-1/2 ill study, i will have breaks of course in the middle.

HSC is not all about study btw, the people who tend to perform better are the ones who balance it out very well.

You may relax, but make sure you can balance it out well. Most people tend to work hard on weekdays and probs relax on a friday/sat/sun im not sure.

Last edited:

AbaKaan

HSC

thanks!
but wow you study till 1/2? don't you get any sleep?
Also is 6 hours enough sleep?

tambam

HSC

thanks!
but wow you study till 1/2? don't you get any sleep?
Also is 6 hours enough sleep?
If you're anything like me, you'll make lots of resolutions to have study timetables etc, but end up doing next to nothing on a regular basis and cram before exams.

The one thing you must make sure you do regularly is maths. Around 30 minutes a day.
& make notes at the end of each term in the holidays.

And it is SO important to get enough sleep, I got sick many many times this year at inconvenient times, like exam time, because my sleeping patterns screwed up this year.

Staying healthy, physically and mentally is more important than trying to get in more hours of study in the wee hours of the mornjng

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad

If you're anything like me, you'll make lots of resolutions to have study timetables etc, but end up doing next to nothing on a regular basis and cram before exams.

The one thing you must make sure you do regularly is maths. Around 30 minutes a day.
& make notes at the end of each term in the holidays.

And it is SO important to get enough sleep, I got sick many many times this year at inconvenient times, like exam time, because my sleeping patterns screwed up this year.

Staying healthy, physically and mentally is more important than trying to get in more hours of study in the wee hours of the mornjng
agreed. I'd rather do 2hrs a day of efficient study :)..

I get about a 8hrs of sleep btw ^^ for the op

hayabusaboston

HSC
How much study!?!?!?

I am planning on doing chemistry physics biology advanced english and ext 1 and 2 maths. I am good at them, and never had any problems ever in high school with science english or maths. The thing is, I hear people talking about studying 8 hours a day for weeks!?!?! How much study should you really do?? Is it necessary to go for 8 hours a day for several weeks? For the HSC so many people study like hell, but how much is really needed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)