How much would a raw mark of 90 for Chem be scaled up to? (1 Viewer)

misty157

HSC
[h=1]If you got 80-85/100 for Chemistry Internals and say 90 for Chemistry Externals[/h]What would that end up being aligned to? The overall HSC Mark do you think?

I don't know if that can be worked out/how that is worked out/school rank is 68 if that helps?

Thanks

:wavey:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Rank and cohort performance is needed to determine your assessment mark properly. Assuming your assessment mark is equivalent to 85 RAW and you got 90 RAW then assessment mark would be ~95 and exam mark would be ~97. This equates to around ~96 and I used since both marks were approximations.

HSC Mark of 96 equates to a lower end state rank in most years.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
[h=1]If you got 80-85/100 for Chemistry Internals and say 90 for Chemistry Externals[/h]What would that end up being aligned to? The overall HSC Mark do you think?

I don't know if that can be worked out/how that is worked out/school rank is 68 if that helps?

Thanks

:wavey:
90/100 raw in the externals = reasonable chance at state rank (mark of 96+)

stereoheart

HSC
what if the school rank was 80-100????

and by internal mark....is that the one the bos gives you according to your rank?

nirukk

HSC
@someth1ng, is state rank calculated have anything to do with the internal assessment mark, or purely externals ?

deswa1

HSC
State rank is HSC mark- so the average of assessment mark and exam mark

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What if they've set difficult exams? (just curious)
If you're at the high end, I honestly don't think exam difficulty matters so much, assuming the questions are all within syllabus boundaries. Also, the reason why raw marks in Chemistry are so low is because of the marking guidelines, not the actual exam itself.

Rawf

HSC
With ATAR calculators, where it tells you to enter the 'HSC mark' - is that referring to the RAW mark you think you're going to get in the HSC exam?
And whaat 90/100's are state ranks? What do the state ranks go up to? would it still be possible for me to attain one if i'm 5th out of 118 students at a school ranked 60 and I get a 90/100 in the HSC exam or is it basically limited to the person who's ranked first in your school? - my raw assessment mark is about 88

Demise

HSC
State rank is only dependent on exam mark, isn't it? It doesn't take into consideration internal mark, since my old IT:Graphics teacher told me the overall highest external mark was by a guy coming 4th in his school, yet he got state rank.

deswa1

HSC
With ATAR calculators, where it tells you to enter the 'HSC mark' - is that referring to the RAW mark you think you're going to get in the HSC exam?
And whaat 90/100's are state ranks? What do the state ranks go up to? would it still be possible for me to attain one if i'm 5th out of 118 students at a school ranked 60 and I get a 90/100 in the HSC exam or is it basically limited to the person who's ranked first in your school? - my raw assessment mark is about 88
HSC mark does not mean raw mark- its the aligned mark. For example, if you got 90/100 in chem, that would probs be 96 HSC so you enter that. And theoretically its possible to state rank but I can guarantee it won't happen. Your internal will be no where near high enough because you're not first plus people of state ranking ability should be able to conclusively come first even at a lot of selective schools so if you're not first at a 60's school it won't happen.

Actually that came out pretty harsh- sorry bro :( but yeah, just getting the facts straight

barbernator

HSC
You won't be able to get a state rank. Last year ruse got 8 state ranks in their chemistry cohort, but thats because they are ranked 1. And yeh not very many people score 90/100 raw in the externals, so I'm not saying it is impossible for you, but chances are that if you are ranked 5th in a 60 school, you wouldn't be scoring that high anyway.

deswa1

HSC
State rank is only dependent on exam mark, isn't it? It doesn't take into consideration internal mark, since my old IT:Graphics teacher told me the overall highest external mark was by a guy coming 4th in his school, yet he got state rank.
It does take internal into account. Its possible that everyone else in that graphics class also did well so his internal was good and with a great external, it pulled him into state rank.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC mark does not mean raw mark- its the aligned mark. For example, if you got 90/100 in chem, that would probs be 96 HSC so you enter that. And theoretically its possible to state rank but I can guarantee it won't happen. Your internal will be no where near high enough because you're not first plus people of state ranking ability should be able to conclusively come first even at a lot of selective schools so if you're not first at a 60's school it won't happen.

Actually that came out pretty harsh- sorry bro :( but yeah, just getting the facts straight
Exclusions apply, you can be 10th at James Ruse and still get a state rank in Chemistry... :p

But seriously, unless you're from a top selective school, you'll probably need to be rank 1-2 to get a state rank. You can easily get a state rank external mark but your HSC mark will probably get dragged down...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)