How often do they do this? (1 Viewer)

0bs3n3

HSC
So I was reading about English Paper I and II, and it said that the most common form they ask us to write in is essay, but they can also ask for a debate, speech, etc. How often do they actually do that, if ever? Is it likely they will?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
They rarely do do that - but they've always reserved the right to do it. Always be prepared. To not even entertain the notion that they could specify particular speeches/essays/poems, or that they might change text types would be foolish of any candidate.

ashllis92

HSC
Bear in mind that this year we had 4 straight essays and they were all erslatively straight forward excet for the 1 related text thing but this is not the place to discuss that...
they might mix it up next year

laila09

HSC
It has been done quite a few times before, particularly speeches.
Considering all of the essay's this year were straight essays it is a good guess I believe that atleast one will be out of straight essay form this year.

Have a look on the BOS site under past paper's where you will see past questions and can take a little look for yourself!

:eek:

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Bear in mind that this year we had 4 straight essays and they were all erslatively straight forward excet for the 1 related text thing but this is not the place to discuss that...
they might mix it up next year
08 was straight forward in terms of essay aswell though.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
08 was straight forward in terms of essay aswell though.
Agreed

You have to be prepared to recieve something other than an essay. However, like others have said, it is unlikely. Definitely not out of the question though.

Schoey93

HSC
I would actually prefer to write a debate than write an essay

Essays tend to be more bland and less interesting/enjoyable to read+write than transcripts of lively debates

Sorry, but would you rather watch, back in the day (don't know if this happened or it was a dream of mine) John Howard and Kevin Rudd have a debate (Johnny was so unpopular with 'the worm'! :p)

or

write an essay in which you "explore the concept of belonging - what does it mean to belong and how important is this 'need'? Analyse with reference to the prescribed text and one supplementary text"

?

P.S. To me reading a debate transcript is almost just as good as watching it, but not quite... what do you think/do you agree? :/

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I would actually prefer to write a debate than write an essay

Essays tend to be more bland and less interesting/enjoyable to read+write than transcripts of lively debates

Sorry, but would you rather watch, back in the day (don't know if this happened or it was a dream of mine) John Howard and Kevin Rudd have a debate (Johnny was so unpopular with 'the worm'! :p)

or

write an essay in which you "explore the concept of belonging - what does it mean to belong and how important is this 'need'? Analyse with reference to the prescribed text and one supplementary text"

?

P.S. To me reading a debate transcript is almost just as good as watching it, but not quite... what do you think/do you agree? :/
Unfortunately - debate transcripts aren't part of the examinable text types. An interview is, though - although I doubt they will ever ask an interview - it's just way too hard, and would stuff way too many kids up. It's probably more reasonable to do a feature article or speech to HSC students, or letter to BOS.

philphie

Banned
HSC
i hate it when it's a speech because i'll probably starting off with a hello and forget the fact that it's a speech, then i'll overcompensate with an overwhelming amount of rhetorical questions

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
'Hello' is a really boring way to start a speech. Differentiate yourself by starting with a quote, or a joke, a riddle, some irony, a pun, adding a drop of lavender to your bath water... :spin:

Schoey93

HSC
'Hello' is a really boring way to start a speech. Differentiate yourself by starting with a quote, or a joke, a riddle, some irony, a pun, adding a drop of lavender to your bath water... :spin:
Yes

But almost always people IRL in real life begin speeches with 'hello ______"

So to begin with "a drop of lavender" or "a joke" would not be cliched but it would be UNNATURAL like all english literature conventions :dog:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Not all speeches start with hello. There is a huge list of famous speeches, many of which do not follow that conventions. It is cliche'd and I find that there are better and more interesting ways to start.

0bs3n3

HSC
Not all speeches start with hello. There is a huge list of famous speeches, many of which do not follow that conventions. It is cliche'd and I find that there are better and more interesting ways to start.
"Four score and ten years ago...."

lol. But anyway Aerath, I'm pretty sure they can ask you to write in the form of a Debate.

but seriously BoS, please just give me straight up essays so I can wing it and save the douchebaggery for '11! :p

Sayangliss

HSC
Was predicting that the questions this year would be really general but at least one of the module would be a text type besides essay - particularly speech.

Obviously not.

Place prediction for '10.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lol. But anyway Aerath, I'm pretty sure they can ask you to write in the form of a Debate.
Hmmm, are you sure? My teacher showed me a list of text types that were examinable for the HSC - and I'm fairly sure that debate wasn't on there. :p

But then again, I saw that list about a year ago, so I could just as easily be mistaken.

Sayangliss

HSC
Hmmm, are you sure? My teacher showed me a list of text types that were examinable for the HSC - and I'm fairly sure that debate wasn't on there. :p

But then again, I saw that list about a year ago, so I could just as easily be mistaken.
Not sure about debate, but past HSC has asked for a module to be written as a 'conversation' but I think that was quite a few years back now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)