How the heck is the Atar calculated? (1 Viewer)

Skriker

HSC
Can someone tell me, is the Atar pretty much your average mark you get all up out of your best 10 units?? If you wanted too get a brief idea?? I know its a rank not a mark but I mean when you enter your results into the Atar calculator its always going to be low, but with the scaling and aligning etc is that meant too basically tell you your average mark if you know what I mean??

because I saw a post and the guy said he had an Atar of like 70 which was his average for all his units. Can someone clear things up for me? Haha :)

Basit-b

HSC
My friend got these results last year;
Eco 81%
Modern 79%
Standard Eng 82%
General maths 70
Bio 70%

Add them up and divide them by 5 and the average is 76.4
His ATAR was 75.6

Its obviously not the decisive factor but it does give a rough idea.

Skriker

HSC
Eco 81%
Modern 79%
Standard Eng 82%
General maths 70
Bio 70%

His ATAR was 75.6

Oh ok, so its generally a rough idea of what he will get, the marks you used, did you use your raw mark for the mark you used?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL no, marks averaged out do not equal ATAR

cbf explaining tho because it doesn't really matter, if someone is up for it then yeah you may get lucky.

Oh ok, so its generally a rough idea of what he will get, the marks you used, did you use your raw mark for the mark you used?
you dont see your raw marks, you see your aligned marks (you can see the raw marks if you apply, which normally people dont do).

So i'm pretty sure those were aligned marks.

Basit-b

HSC
Those percentages were the final results of each exam.

Basit-b

HSC
LOL no, marks averaged out do not equal ATAR

cbf explaining tho because it doesn't really matter, if someone is up for it then yeah you may get lucky.
Yea but doesnt it still provide a rough idea?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Lolll please explain?!
too much effort, do with the example below:

Example:

Maths 3u
Maths 4u
English Adv
Chem
Phys

90 in each subject would = to about a 97-98 ATAR, the average is still 90.

fiesycal

HSC
Yea but doesnt it still provide a rough idea?
No... By this logic anything above 97 atar requires state ranks in pretty much all your subjects. Just go to UAC/Board of Studies and find the relevant page there about ATAR.

Exotic

HSC
Ive got a question about rankings. I know that whatever is the best result in the external gets awarded to the student that topped the subject during the school year and then the rest of the students get the following marks. But, let's say for example i come 5th in a subject with an assessment mark of 80, then in the externals i get the highest with a score of 95. The 5th best in the externals is a 70. So, according to what ive known, the student ranked first gets the best external mark (my 95) and following that i would get 70 as the 5th highest mark. Is this true? If that is true, then does the fact that ive scored a 95 have any effect on my final HSC mark? Whats the point of doing well in the exams when you dont even get your mark? Can someone please explain this?

Weezle

HSC
Uni Grad
Ive got a question about rankings. I know that whatever is the best result in the external gets awarded to the student that topped the subject during the school year and then the rest of the students get the following marks. But, let's say for example i come 5th in a subject with an assessment mark of 80, then in the externals i get the highest with a score of 95. The 5th best in the externals is a 70. So, according to what ive known, the student ranked first gets the best external mark (my 95) and following that i would get 70 as the 5th highest mark. Is this true? If that is true, then does the fact that ive scored a 95 have any effect on my final HSC mark? Whats the point of doing well in the exams when you dont even get your mark? Can someone please explain this?
no whatever you get on the day, is the mark you get. Add your internal mark to your external (mark on the day) and divide by two. That's the RAW mark that you get, after this, the Board moderates the mark and whatever goes to hell and back to get your MODERATED mark.

Exotic

HSC
no whatever you get on the day, is the mark you get. Add your internal mark to your external (mark on the day) and divide by two. That's the RAW mark that you get, after this, the Board moderates the mark and whatever goes to hell and back to get your MODERATED mark.
Ah, i get it now. Thanks mate :)

Bobbo1

HSC
Eco 81%
Modern 79%
Standard Eng 82%
General maths 70
Bio 70%

His ATAR was 75.6

so by this logic, people who get an atar of 99.95 gets an average of 99.95 (=100) in all their subjects????

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
ATAR is a rank, I thought that would be self explanatory.

No one has ever achieved an aggregate of 500.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)